    ftp://www.transcend.nl/SDHC%20Compatibility%20Report%20January.pdf

    Any chance it might work in a Canon Powershot S2 IS just the same?

    kind regards & thanks in advance, Niek

    name, Jan 24, 2007

  2. name

    Cgiorgio Guest

    Absolutely no chance - The S2IS is using the FAT, not FAT32 file system.
    Furthermore you will not even be able to slide an SDHC card into the card
    slot. 2GB is the limit and SDHC does not give you any advantage because the
    camera interface is also limited in speed.

    Cgiorgio, Jan 24, 2007

  3. name

    name Guest

    2GB is not the limit. I have a powershot S2 IS and it works fine with a
    normal
    4 GB SD card (Transcend 150x).
    The SDHC card works in the S3 IS (or at least that is what the webpage
    by Transcend claims), so it might work in the S2 IS as well.

    name, Jan 24, 2007
  5. name

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    S3 IS is speced for SD, not SDHC.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jan 24, 2007
  6. name

    name Guest

    name, Jan 24, 2007
  7. name

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Uhh .. because: 1) they don't know any better; or
    2) they sell cards. Seems like Canon would know
    best, but--hey--its not my money ;-)

    I know they have a 4G 150x SD card card that works
    in the S3 .. but it is NOT SDHC.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jan 24, 2007
  8. name

    name Guest

    Do you have any link to a webpage where Canon says that SDHC cards will
    not
    work in the powershot S3?
    According to the Transcend website, Canon specifically declares that
    the maximum capacity for SDHC is 8 GB.
    It seems a bit unlikely a reputable company like Transcend will lie
    about such things in order to sell more cards,

    name, Jan 25, 2007
  9. No; but Canon seem to list the cards that do work, not the ones
    that don't. Seems reasonable, since the latter would be long and
    always incomplete ;-)

    But if you go to "Product Specification" on the Canon Website for
    each camera, scroll down to the "Memory Card" section, it says
    e.g. for the IXUS 900:-

    "Secure Digital (SD) Card, Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC)
    Card or MultiMediaCard (MMC)"

    and for the Powershot S3:

    "Secure Digital (SD) Card, MultiMediaCard (MMC)"

    So that seems pretty clear to me.
    I have an Ixus 750 which unfortunately can't do SDHC either.
    I use the 4GB SD (not SDHC) cards in it.
    They are also currently the cheapest per MB/GB.

    David

    David Johnstone, Feb 16, 2007
  10. name

    kjv1611

    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    S2/S3 IS SDHC Compatibility

    It seems strange there are so many differing sources of info for the cameras. I have an S3, and contacted Canon direct, last year - I believe it was mid to late last year (2007). Anyway, at that time, I was told that the theoretical memory size limit for the Canon S3 IS was some really big number - not likely anything that'd be avaialable any time soon, at least, and that yes they do accept SDHC cards. Perhaps at the time most of you go the info about SDHC cards, Canon wasn't 100% sure of that format just yet, I don't know.

    Along those lines, does anyone know for sure as to whether or not the S2 may actually be able to handle SDHC?

    kjv1611, May 8, 2008
  11. name

    elseba

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    YES!!! It works

    Hello I´m sebastian from Argetina.
    Las week I tried a new 8 GB A Data sdhc (look at the picture) to see what kind of error the camera will gave me.
    Oh surprise!!! None!!!!
    it say 59:00 minutes above on the display(some videos was inside the memory) ..referring to the video capacity, and work perfectly on still and video recording.
    The only bad thing is the limitation on 1 gb of recording.
    Each 8 minutes aprox the movie will stop and bufer. but is only about 2 o 3 seconds to start recording again.

    For me is a big solution.
    Here the price of this memory is only about 50 dollar. I don´t need to change the camera!

    Good luck to all of you.

    sebas

    Attached Files:

    elseba, Jun 27, 2008
  12. name

    jagnz

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    SDHC IS supported

    Canon have updated the specs and SDHC IS supported on the S3 IS 8)

    I would post a link to the specs but the site won't let me yet. :-(

    jagnz, Jun 2, 2009
  13. name

    sqwertbird

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    powershot s3 is memory card

    Given how old the original post is, I don't know if anyone is listening but I have a powershot s3 IS and have been using increasingly larger SD cards as they become available (1GB, 2GB, 4GB SDHC). So far the largest card I have used is 16GB SDHC class 6 and it works fine, the pictures remaining defaults to 9999 and video to 124' 42".

    I don't really understand the comment about SDHC cards "not fitting", they are exactly the same size and shape as a normal SD card. I inadvertantly bought an SDXC card.. It still fits in the slot but gives a "memory card error" notice on the screen and does not work.

    sqwertbird, Apr 21, 2012