7940/7960 setting admin vlan for non-cisco switch

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by spork.sporkman, Oct 13, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    I've got a bunch of 7940 and 7960 phones running SIP software 5.3.0.

    I want to use the VLAN feature of these phones that allows the phone to
    use a tagged vlan for it's own traffic and the default vlan for any
    devices connected to the second ethernet port on the phone.

    I know that if you are running certain cisco switches, this vlan is
    automagically configured via CDP. There is a menu config to set this
    as well, and I have done that as follows:

    -config -> unlock config
    -config -> network settings
    -network settings -> admin vlan id (set to 99) -> save
    -config -> lock config

    The phone then reconfigures itself and comes up on VLAN 99
    (demonstrated by the IP it gets, as well as the "operational vlan id"
    menu item) and all is well.

    Now if I power off the phone or reset it (*-6-config), that setting
    seems to stick the first time. If I reset it again, the setting is
    gone and the phone is back on the default vlan.

    What am I doing wrong here?

    I looked through the docs, and this doesn't seem to be something I can
    set in the tftp config (although I did try "admin_vlan_id" and
    "network_admin_vlan_id" - both generated parse errors). We need to
    have this setting stick both for our own phones and on anyone we may
    sell to who is also using non-cisco gear.

    Any help is appreciated. For now, we are stuck at 5.3.0 as that is all
    our VoIP reseller will support.

    Thanks,

    Charles

    spork.sporkman, Oct 13, 2005

  2. spork.sporkman

    spork Guest

    Just to follow up to myself, after thinking this through, it seems like
    setting the VLAN by tftp config would be silly - you need to get on the
    VLAN before you talk to the TFTP server. Doh.

    So can anyone confirm whether the phone should be holding the admin
    vlan id across reboots?

    spork, Oct 13, 2005

  3. spork.sporkman

    spork Guest

    Another reply to myself...

    Tested this on a few more phones. Here's the weird part. On all of
    them the setting would stick if the phone is plugged into a switch port
    that has no VLANs enabled (all untagged frames). If I plug the phone
    into a port that has the default vlan untagged and the phone vlan
    tagged, after two reboots or power cycles, the admin vlan setting on
    the phone goes away.

    Anyone?

    spork, Oct 15, 2005
  4. spork.sporkman