    bang for the buck factor, but wasn't sure if I actually 'needed' a Cat
    35xx. Anyone tried using them or the non-PoE versions with the phones?
    Thoughts? Suggestions?

    fred.branham, Aug 31, 2005

  2. fred.branham

    Scooby Guest

    Well, first, you can use their power cube to power the phones from standard
    wall outlets. I do this in a couple remote locations where buying a POE
    switch doesn't make sense. You can use a basic 2950 for this purpose.
    However, note that the auto qos feature is nice if you are going to run
    VoIP. There you would need (I believe) at least the enhanced image in the
    2950's.

    That said, I believe that if the POE switch is 802.11af compliant, then the
    phones would probably work with it. I've exerienced some POE devices that
    didn't work with the Cisco switches, but they were pre-standard.

    Hope that helps,

    Jim

    Scooby, Aug 31, 2005

  3. fred.branham

    Jonathan Guest

    The advantages of going with a Cisco switch is QoS.

    If you use a non-Cisco switch, the phone cannot determine the voice VLAN and
    the data VLAN automatically with CDP.

    The solution it to make the port a trunk port, and manually tell the phone
    which VLAN is which in Network Configuration on the phone (especially if you
    are going to plug a PC into the back of the thing.

    You will need to do the QoS manually on the switch.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan, Sep 1, 2005