70-643: chapter 1, Lesson 2, Exercise 5

Discussion in 'MCITP' started by Ans Hekerman, Nov 23, 2008.

  1. Ans Hekerman

    Ans Hekerman Guest

    Hallo,
    I am trying to do exercise 5, of lesson 2 (chapter 1): deploy Windows Server
    2008 Through WDS.

    Until here, everything went well. But now on the second point: Instead of
    getting the message, that Windows is loading files (while loading the boot
    image from Server1), I get the message (at the DOS-prompt): PXE-E32: TFTP
    open timeout (3 times) and then: PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM. And
    finally: Operating System not found.

    On Google I found out that this means, that 1. There is no TFTP-server, 2.
    The TFTP-server is not running, 3. TFTP and DHCP/BOOTP services are running
    on different machines, but the next-server (066) option was not specified.

    I have WDS correcty installed and that should mean, that the TFTP-service is
    included. Both WDS and DHCP are installed on Server1, so this could not be
    the problem. Until here everything went as aspected.

    I am using VMware on Windows Vista SP1, instead of Virtual PC 2007, but I
    think VMware is doing well.

    Does someone know what could be the case here?

    greetyou, Ans Hekerma

    Ans Hekerman, Nov 23, 2008

  2. Ans Hekerman

    Montreal_MCT Guest

    The first thing I would do is make sure that your DHCP Server's options 60 &
    67 are properly configured for Windows DS :)

    Montreal_MCT, Nov 24, 2008

  3. Ans Hekerman

    Ans Hekerman Guest

    I followed the instructions in the book and that causen not any problem.
    When configuring WDS I selected both checkboxes on the tab:
    PXE-response-settings. This results in: not listening to port 67 and
    configuring DHCP option 60 to "PXE-client". So it should be right, but it
    isn't. Thank you, Ans

    Ans Hekerman, Nov 24, 2008
  4. Ans Hekerman

    Ans Hekerman Guest

    Hé, suddenly, today, it works fine!
    Yesterday I have many times rebooted Server1 en Server2, but that dit not
    have any result. Now also the hostmachine (Vista) has been off (so
    rebooted). May be that brought some last things in place. Anyway, I am very
    glad it works now!! Thank you again, Ans

    Ans Hekerman, Nov 24, 2008
  5. Ans Hekerman

    Montreal_MCT Guest

    Glad I could help~! :)