    i don't know what to do.

    and please excuse my very bad english.

    Olivier T.

    Olivier, Jun 16, 2009

  2. Olivier

    Dan Smith Guest

    70-680 is the Windows 7 exam and does count towards MCTS/MCTIP.
    70-620 will be a valid exam for quite a while yet. Personally I'm doing
    both.

    Dan Smith, Aug 6, 2009

  3. Food for thought... it's no longer simply a question of which exam one would
    rather take to complete the requirements, but also to understand that the
    MCTS exams have their own "expiration" considerations.

    Taking the 70-620 today, would certify a person as a MCTS: Vista,
    Configuration until November, 2011, based on the November, 2006, release
    date of Vista.

    Taking the 70-680 today, would certify a person as a MCTS: Windows 7,
    Configuration until July, 2014, based on the July, 2009, release date of
    Vista.

    The Windows Server 2008 MCTS exams will be valid until February, 2013, based
    on the Windows Server 2008 release date of February, 2008.

    What this also means is that taking the Vista exam now, will *require* you
    to take the Windows 7 exam sometime in the next two years if you wish to
    retain your MCITP:EA through the February, 2013, time frame.

    Taking the Windows 7 exam now, will require no further exams to maintain the
    MCITP:EA until February, 2013, when the Windows Server 2008 exams retire --
    and assuming there's some operating system that's replaced Windows Server
    2008 by that time.

    So, I'd say, unless you see some immediately personal value in being
    certified on =Vista=, I'd suggest expending the small extra effort to become
    familiar with Windows 7 (Remember: the Win7 RC is still free and will
    continue to work through March, 2010, which makes it an excellent study
    resource for the Win7 exam.), and guarantee the validity of your MCITP:EA
    for an extra 15 months =and= certify you on the OS most likely to be
    deployed by most organizations in the next year.

    You can be fairly certain that any "planned" Vista installations just got
    cancelled a few weeks ago with the RTM announcement of Windows 7.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Aug 7, 2009