70-315 is the Kalani book by itself enough?

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by Gary, Nov 23, 2003.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Hi all,

    I've read through the Kalani book for the 70-315 test,
    and practiced almost all of his examples. I'm in a bit of
    a rush to take the test in a few days due to our
    corporate performance evaluation deadline looming.

    So I need your advice as to whether this is enough by
    itself to pass the test?

    * How much syntax would I need to know off by heart? I
    find that I know what I'm doing but with intellisense and
    everything in VS.NET its really hard to remember what
    each particular method name does and what parameters it
    needs.
    * I've played around quite a bit with the Datagrid and
    ADO.NET but aside from those I haven't researched too
    much outside of the Kalani book.
    * I've answered all the questions in his book and
    reviewed things that I got wrong.

    What do you folks think? Is this enough? Is it borderline?

    If anyone can hilight any deficiencies they found in
    Kalani's book it would help too!

    Thanks much in advance!
    Gary

    Gary, Nov 23, 2003

  2. Yes that's all I used and I did well.
    It's important to know parameter order, etc. for ADO.NET and to some
    extent ASP.NET. Sorry, but you should try to get by without Intellisense.
    I can't say what Kalani's book didn't cover. It would violate the NDA.
    Sorry.

    General Protection Fault, Nov 24, 2003

  3. That's okay. Good luck on 70-315.

    General Protection Fault, Nov 24, 2003
  4. Gary

    Eric Engler Guest

    If anyone can hilight any deficiencies they found in
    It should be fine to list the general topics, as long as there are no
    specific test questions given out?

    It seems fair to me to mention, for example, that Code Access Security
    and XPathNavigator are not covered in the book.

    I think he covered a good 95% of the material for 70-315.

    His book on 70-320 seems to have a little less coverage, but it's
    still the best of the available books.

    Eric

    Eric Engler, Nov 24, 2003
  5. I did not encounter a *single* queston on the 70-320 exam that wasn't in
    Kalani. But I did have 5 or 6 questions on 70-315 that definitely
    weren't. I don't even remember what those questions were, sorry. I had
    no intention of sharing that info with anyone so I didn't write it down.

    General Protection Fault, Nov 24, 2003
  6. Gary

    Mike Guest

    Hi GPF,
    Do you mean the 15 Exam questions that are at the end of
    each chapters. And in real exam you got questions similar
    to these ones.
    Let us know.
    Thanks,

    Mike, Nov 25, 2003
  7. No, the exam tends to have more questions whereby you are given 4 blocks
    of code to choose from and you have to choose the correct block. Either
    syntax or semantics could determine which is right.

    Kalani's questions are still better than the crap you find on PrepLogic
    or MeasureUp. I can't tell you how many mistakes I've found on their
    demo exams.

    General Protection Fault, Nov 25, 2003
  8. Gary

    Guest Guest

    Do you mean the 15 Exam questions that are at the end of
    Kalani's books are clearly the best way to learn - especially if you
    like the format of "learn a little, then follow the steps to write a
    short program to demonstrate the concepts". You simply *HAVE* to learn
    by reading Kalani's books!

    Kalani's questions were a good review to help you determine if you
    understand the material.

    In my opinion, I think the MS tests were a little more oriented
    towards problem solving. For example, they would say "given this code,
    you get this particular error at runtime, what should you change".

    I like the Transcenders sample tests because they seem to be a similar
    level of difficulty to the actual test, but they are not verbatim the
    same questions. If you can score well on the Transcenders tests, then
    you should be ready for the real tests.

    Eric

    Guest, Nov 25, 2003
  9. Gary

    Guest Guest

    It seems fair to me to mention, for example, that Code Access Security
    Just to clarify my previous posting, this material (CAS and XPath) is
    covered in Kalani's 70-320 book, and most people who are studying for
    the 70-315 will probably try for the 70-320 next. So, it makes sense
    to buy Kalani's 70-320 book a little early and study these areas
    before taking the 70-315 test.

    Kalani's 320 coverage seems weak on the actual syntax of XSD files,
    putting your own info into SOAP headers (username/password, for
    example), and SSL encryption. But he does an AWESOME job on SOAP
    extensions, and his examples throughout the book are first-rate!

    XML Web services and remoting are tough areas to learn from a book.
    Kalani's format of using step-by-step exercises is the best way to
    learn in my opinion.

    Eric

    Guest, Nov 25, 2003
  10. I took 70-320 before taking 70-315, so I guess I didn't notice.
    Oh yeah, that was one thing that was left out of Kalani's 70-320 book:
    SOAP headers.

    I disagreed with his server SOAP extension method. It wasn't necessary
    to "chain" in his stream, but it was nice to show that it could be done.
    It made the example more confusing than it had to be, is all.

    General Protection Fault, Nov 26, 2003
  11. Gary

    GS Guest

    Code Access Security is something I want to use in
    upcoming projects so I will definitely read through it
    with zest!

    By the way how did you all do your review after running
    through the book and doing the exercises?

    I realized that because the book is so thick I've
    forgotten some of the practical topics from the start of
    the book. I dont know if my sanity would last if I went
    through again and did all the exercises over hehe. Maybe
    I'll stick with the Guided practice exercises but I'm not
    sure if that covers everything.

    Another thing I noticed - because the book categorizes
    exercises into distinct topics theres no large exercises
    that encompass topics from multiple chapters. This would
    help a ton with the review.

    If anyone has a list of exercises they gave themselves
    that encompass multiple topics, I would appreciate seeing
    them :)

    Thanks again all!

    GS, Nov 28, 2003
  12. Yep, that's tricky stuff.
    I did the 75/77 question exam from the back and made notes of what I got
    wrong, then redid those sections.
    I modified the exercises a bit to include material from earlier
    chapters. For example, instead of just loading a DataSet from the DB,
    I'd load it into an XmlReader, then a XmlDataDocument.

    General Protection Fault, Nov 28, 2003