    to more of a network engineering role, and it won't happen at my current
    employer, so I need to prepare for it and then take a scary plunge into a
    poor job market.

    Gabe, Jun 2, 2009

  2. Gabe

    Chris M Guest

    I wouldn't worry as long as you know your stuff. I took 297 for my
    design exam and I don't think a single one of the scenarios were
    anything like my real-world experience (I've never upgraded a domain
    spanning multiple continents from NT4 to 2003, for example ;-)
    I never looked at 298 but I found the Microsoft Training Kit for 297 to
    be awful, full of typos and incorrect in places. I quite like the
    ExamCram series.

    You may or may notbe aware that the design exams are composed of short
    'testlets' which last around 20 minutes each. I failed 297 once and
    passed the second time. The first time, I found myself running out of
    time very easily on each testlet. The second time, I took some advice
    that I had seen online which was to not bother reading through the
    scenario first and skip straight to the questions. Then, go back and
    skim through the scenario to find the information that is relevant to
    the questions. Quite a lot of the information given in the scenarios can
    be redundant and reading it just wastes time.
    Good luck! And remember to register for Second Shot if you intend to
    take (and retake, if necessary) the exam before the 30th of this month!

    Cheers,

    Chris M, Jun 3, 2009