70-297 Site Link Costs

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Chris M, Nov 13, 2008.

  1. Chris M

    Chris M Guest

    Hi there,

    Currently studying for 297 (and boy do I hate the practise questions!).

    I'm using the MS Press Training Kit. When calculating site link costs,
    there is a table to refer to for various bandwidth values. One of the
    test questions asks you to assign costs to various site links. One of
    the site links has a bandwidth of 32Kbps, another of 384Kbps. The
    reference table looks like this:

    Bandwidth (Kbps) Cost

    19.2 798
    38.4 644
    256 425
    512 378

    As you can see there are no entries that match the exact bandwidths in
    the question, so I just chose a value that was in the right ballpark.
    Anyway, the answer to this part of the test question was 'the site link
    costs are calculated by using the formula provided in the chapter.'

    Erm, what formula? A table of values isn't a formula, and the book
    doesn't tell you how those values were calculated. Even if I had the
    right answers I wouldn't know because they aren't given in the book!

    Is there a formula for calculating site link costs? I can't figure it
    out from the table... it doesn't seem to be a simple case of cost =
    <some constant>/bandwidth

    Cheers,

    Chris M, Nov 13, 2008

  2. Chris M

    Wayne Guest

    and
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749945.aspx will give you some
    information. The last reference is a bit out of date, but it does contain a
    formula to help work out the cost of a site link based on bandwidth only
    (1024 divided by log(available bandwidth)). Real world, you'd use site link
    cost based on the actual cost of a connection; a satellite link would cost
    more to use than a frame relay WAN link. Or, use site link costs to act as a
    load balancing method for your physical links.

    Wayne

    Wayne, Nov 14, 2008