70-292 and 70-296

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by James Blond, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. James Blond

    James Blond Guest

    For people who passed either 292 or 296, or both:
    appreciate your comments on the following:

    I sat for both exams 292 and 296 today 19 Dec. I thought
    296(MCSE) was a lot more straight forward and easier than
    292(MCSA). 292 included a lot more reading on the screen
    and frequently presented trickier questions. 292 had 59
    questions and gave less time to complete, compared to 50
    questions for 296.

    Anyway, the Examination Score Reports show my overall
    scores of 85% and 86% for the Exams, and yet they gave
    the Result of "Fail" for both. This doesn't sound quite
    right to me. I'm pretty upset about this. I have passed,
    on first sitting, some 12 MS exams in the last 7 years,
    and yet all except one of these achieved a score of 85%
    or higher.

    Exam (070-292) Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft
    Windows Server 2003 Environment for an MCSA Certified on
    Windows 2000 Score:

    Manage and Maintain Users, Computers, and Groups 91.67%
    Manage and Maintain Access to Resources 91.67%
    Manage and Maintain a Server Environment 100.00%
    Implement, Manage and Maintain Name Resolution 91.67%
    Manage and Implement Disaster Recovery 72.22%
    Implement, Manage and Maintain Network Security 55.56%
    Maintain a Network Infrastructure 91.67%
    =======
    Overall Result 84.92%

    Exam (070-296) Planning, Implementing and Maintaining a
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment for an MCSE
    Certified on Windows 2000 Score:

    Planning and Implementing an AD Infrastructure 50.00%
    Managing and Maintaining an AD Infrastructure 100.00%
    Planning and Implementing a User, Computer, and Group
    Strategy 91.67%
    Planning and Implementing Group Policy 69.44%
    Managing and Maintaining Group Policy 91.67%
    Planning and Implementing Server Roles and Server
    Security 100.00%
    Planning, Implementing and Maintaining a Network
    Infrastructure 100.00%
    Planning, Implementing and Maintaining Server
    Availability 100.00%
    Planning, Implementing and Maintaining Network
    Security 69.44%
    Planning, Implementing and Maintaining Security
    Infrastructure 94.44%
    =======
    Overall Result 86.67%

    I would be interested to know what scores were given on
    your Examination Score Report for these two exams.

    James Blond, Dec 19, 2003

  2. James Blond

    Steve Guest

    James thanks for being candid on your test scores. First
    let me say I am sorry you are feeling this pain. Damn I
    would think you would have passed both. I am taking both
    my tests in January around the 10th or so.

    I know this doesn't make sense and my only thoughts are
    this. I took the CCNA test in August and passed. Many
    failed before the new CCNA test came into affect. The
    reasoning was that if you got all the questions 100%
    correct but failed one of the two hands-on SIMS or messed
    up a bit on both, it was an automatic failure. I wonder if
    this somehow applies to your grading percentages. If any
    grade percentage falls below 70% regardless of the other
    top percentages, it is a failure. Certainly 86% is enough
    to pass a test if it is just based on over-all percentage.

    Again, I am sure many of us feel your disappointment but
    by your scores, it is obvious you will be an early
    achiever in the coming weeks for your MCSE 2003. Hang in
    there and thanks for your professional post. You could
    have been bitching and screaming that you were going
    to "sue" MS, but you stayed professional. Great Job!

    Steve, Dec 19, 2003

  3. James Blond

    Kian Wah Lai Guest

    mine doesn't have score....my 292 only has a bar chart to show how well i
    did and doesn't have any percentage

    my 296 only pass/fail

    Kian Wah Lai, Dec 20, 2003
  4. James Blond

    Paul Guest

    Thanks Steve. What you said about being over 70% on each
    of the tested categories make sense. I think you are also
    right about certain terminal questions that could break
    your whole exam. It's a pity that these behind-the-scene
    rules are not made visible to the poor exam sitters.
    Unpublished rules should not be part of modern bunisess
    these days. Being clear about the rules help both MS and
    the examinees.

    It's good to know there are still decent professionals
    out there who care and understand. Wish you the best with
    your exams in Jan. Out testing centres are all closed for
    the Xmas-NuYear period and prevented me from sitting for
    the exams again until next year. Please let me know how
    your exams go viz .

    Regards
    Paul (James Blond is just a nickname my kids gave me!
    Sorry)

    Paul, Dec 20, 2003
  5. James Blond

    Michel Guest

    My results for the 292 was Pass, without any explanation, the 292 I did
    twice, cause I failed the first time (very difficult), only give me a Fail
    and Pass as a result, I don´t understand why you got the percentages... and
    it is very strange, that you did not pass!! I heard that 75% percent is
    enough to pass, doñ´t know if it is true...

    Did you contact microsoft?

    Good luck on you retries!

    Michel

    Michel, Dec 30, 2003
  6. James Blond

    Mo Guest

    So I took the 292 test back in October and got a failing score...I was
    pretty irate about it as I was sure I had passed ( as is everyone I'm
    sure). Yesterday I got a letter in the mail from MSFT that informed
    me of a mistake in the test and that my score was actually a "Pass".
    Not sure if this applies to everyone, but you may want to check the
    mailbox from time to time.

    Mo, Jan 9, 2004
  7. James Blond

    Brian Rota Guest

    Have you checked your transcript online?

    I also recieved this letter but it does not show the exam on my transcript.
    I emailed to ask when the exam would show on the site and when I would get
    credit for the MCSA. They sent me an email back saying that I did indeed
    receive a failing score. I think something is extremely wrong here.
    Please let me know

    Thank You

    Brian

    Brian Rota, Jan 11, 2004
  8. James Blond

    Alice Ciccu Guest

    Brian, Mo,

    The rescoring for the error was done here at Microsoft, not at VUE or
    Prometric. Your transcript will get changed, but it's a manual process and
    will take time. I'm not sure how long it will take, but once that exam
    status is flipped from FAIL to PASS, it will trigger your new status as an
    MCSA - if you qualify - and you'll receive the e-mail notification about how
    to get your Welcome Kit.

    The only data VUE or Prometric have right now is your original incorrect
    FAIL. The Microsoft call center won't have access to updated information
    either until we change your transcript. Sorry for the inconvenience.

    --
    Alice Ciccu
    Assessments and Certification Exams

    "This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights."

    Alice Ciccu, Jan 12, 2004
  9. James Blond

    Paul Vukim Guest

    Brian and Maurice,

    Congratulations on the real results. You can now rest and
    sleep easy.

    I have been getting bad dreams about MS Certification
    every night, since I failed these exams. I've just
    brought the matter to Alice Ciccu and hope he could give
    it further considerations.

    Cheers
    Paul

    Paul Vukim, Jan 13, 2004
  10. James Blond

    Guest Guest

    Paul,
    Alice is not a he--she's a lady.

    Guest, Jan 13, 2004
  11. =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Jan 13, 2004
  12. James Blond

    JaR Guest

    There's always an exception to every rule.

    JaR, Jan 13, 2004
  13. BTW, Alice Ciccu is a lady--not a man.

    --
    Tom Helms [MSFT]

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights."Please
    do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup
    purposes only."

    Tom Helms [MSFT], Jan 13, 2004
  14. James Blond

    paul vukim Guest

    Thanks Tom, and others, for pointing out the missing 's'.
    It definitely was not due to a keyboard problem. Everyone
    seems to know Alice well.

    From Tom's footnote, I've just realised that my Email to
    Alice may never get there as I used her
    online.microsoft.com alias. Would Tom or anyone be able
    to offer her Email address please.

    Thanks
    Paul

    paul vukim, Jan 15, 2004
  15. Paul,
    Alice is in this newsgroup frequently, but I'll contact her offline as
    well. Please repost exactly what the orginial problem was as I do not see it
    in this thread.

    Tom Helms [MSFT], Jan 15, 2004
  16. James Blond

    paul vukim Guest

    Thanks Tom.

    I include below an excerpt from the email I sent to Alice
    a few days ago. The excerpt include the first and the
    last cycles of the Email. I'm not sure if she has
    received it. I could forward her the full Email if she
    could contact me viz :

    Dear Alice,

    For exams 70-292 and 70-296, I was stuck with the
    horizontal scrolling issue and vertical scrolling
    issue respectively for over 15 minutes and ran out of
    time being unable to return to review and correct
    answers I was unsure about initially. It turned out that
    the scrolling lever had to be physically scrolled
    or pulled down/across, until it hits the down/right
    arrow, before I could proceed to the next question.

    These scrolling issues were directly responsible for some
    or all of the incorrect answers for questions belonging
    to the topics which received marks below the 70 or 75
    passing scores. Without this issue, I would have stood a
    real chance of passing both exams.

    Is there a chance I could ask you to look into the matter
    further, in the odd chance a pass for one or both exams
    may be justified.

    I would also be grateful if you could let me know the
    total questions that were given for each topic
    and the number of questions I answered correctly in each
    topic. I do understand that the number of questions
    generated for each topic is not always the same as the
    total number of questions divided by the total number of
    topics. A topic with lesser number of questions stands a
    greater chance of being failed than those with more
    questions.

    Several of my MS exams in the past were passed although
    one or more topics did not meet the average passing score.

    Regards
    Paul

    ----------------------

    Date: Friday, December 19, 2003
    Exam numbers: 070-292 and 070-296
    Site Number: ASQ
    Registration: jd7syd507c and jd7syd5076 respectively

    I sat for some 12 Microsoft exams in the past seven years
    and have always passed on the first sitting. All of these
    past exams except one, were passed with a passing score
    lower than 85%. The failed results today, despite high
    overall scores of 85%, have caused concerns and doubts in
    my mind about sitting for these two exams again.

    The table below lists the results from the Examination
    Score Reports given at the end of the upgrade exams above.

    The overall scores were calculated based on the scores of
    each individual area tested, assuming each area under
    test carries the same weight as every other area.

    Exam (070-292) Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft
    Windows Server 2003 Environment for an MCSA Certified on
    Windows 2000 Score

    Manage and Maintain Users, Computers, and Groups
    91.67%

    Manage and Maintain Access to Resources
    91.67%

    Manage and Maintain a Server Environment
    100.00%

    Implement, Manage and Maintain Name Resolution
    91.67%

    Manage and Implement Disaster Recovery
    72.22%

    Implement, Manage and Maintain Network Security
    55.56%

    Maintain a Network Infrastructure
    91.67%

    Results
    84.92%

    Exam (070-296) Planning, Implementing and Maintaining a
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment for an MCSE
    Certified on Windows 2000
    Score

[...]

    86.67%

    Regards
    Paul

    paul vukim, Jan 16, 2004
  17. James Blond

    Alice Ciccu Guest

    Paul,

    Sorry about the delay in responding, I didn't get your e-mail. If you need
    to contact me you can do so by taking out the 'online' in my e-mail address.

    As to your concerns about the exam.

    Scrolling is an issue. We are trying very hard to minimize the amount of
    scrolling required to get beyond a question. Sometimes scrolling is required
    even when the entire question is visible. We know this is frustrating and
    are working on a solution. Although some questions are very big and not all
    of the work space can be displayed on the screen, I haven't seen scrolling
    cause incorrect answers. Maybe you can provide me more specifics.

    During the beta version of an exam we collect time information, that is, we
    know exactly how much time each question takes a candidate to answer. If a
    specific question requires more scrolling, and thus more time, we know and
    we account for this in the time we allot for that question on the live exam.
    That doesn't mean that everyone has all the time they need to take the exam,
    however, but we do take into account the questions that require more time.

    Unfortunately, we don't provide information on the exact number of questions
    in each area nor do we provide information on the exact number scored
    correctly or incorrectly. The bars on the score report should not be
    interpreted as an indication of percent correct. A bar may appear to hit at
    the 75% mark, but that doesn't necessarily mean that 75% of those questions
    were answered correctly. The only intention is to show the candidate in
    which areas they demonstrated 'strength' and which areas they 'need
    development'. For example, if one candidate correctly answers 9 out of 11
    questions in one area and another correctly answers 10, it's possible that
    their bars for that area will be identical.

    You are correct in noting that you do not have to "pass" each area in order
    to pass the exam.

    Alice Ciccu, Jan 19, 2004
  18. James Blond

    MAXIS

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Prometic and Pearson Exam Center does not communicate at all....

    I am a MCSE 2000, MCDBA 2000, MCSA 2000, MCP which have been certified since year 2003 which taken the exam under Prometric Exam Center,

    PROBLEM : I have choose a PEARSON VUE Exam Center and I have completed with pass two paper which are :

    • Exam 70-292: Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment for an MCSA Certified on Windows 2000

    • Exam 70-296: Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment for an MCSE Certified on Windows 2000

    Why PEARSON VUE can’t identified my Microsoft Certified Professional ID ?, it become too late to change my Exam Center, so they have register me under PEARSON VUE and given me a NEW ID, Should this two exam center need to be in network so that candidate will not having problem as mine ? . How can I consolidate this two exam into my Microsoft Certified Professional ID ? please assist me.

    MAXIS, Aug 12, 2007