70-292 and 70-296 advice

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by beekay, Jul 6, 2005.

  1. beekay

    beekay Guest

    Hi,

    I have an MCSE for both NT and 2000. I had considerable experience with
    both, and I know how to study, so passing was not a huge problem. I have
    been out of the IT field for 18 months (never used Server 2003 in a work
    environment), but would like to upgrade to 2003 because I don't want to lose
    what I have invested so far, and I may want to get back in. I'm sure the
    prep environment has changed some - back then I used my experience, TechNet,
    and Transcenders. I used the Transcenders mainly as an organizing tool so
    that I would have thorough coverage of the range of questions, rather than
    any particular answers, and I found their explanations to be useful.

    I think the biggest change since the 2000 exams is in the type of questions,
    possibly the format. Can someone recommend a good source of prep questions
    that would focus on the new format? I'm not interested in having "the
    questions", a la "brain dumps", but rather in seeing the way questions and
    answer choices are written. Of course, I would prefer having fairly
    challenging questions with useful explanations for the answers, as well. Are
    Transcenders up-to-date in this respect? I have seen references to
    Measureup and Ucertify - are they useful? Any others? BTW, I have never
    found the MS Press materials to be very on-target for exams, although they
    can be useful as a starting point.

    Thanks,

    Bruce Kimball from Louisville

    beekay, Jul 6, 2005

  2. beekay

    FrisbeeĀ® Guest

    Use what worked for you in the past. Transcenders sounds like it worked for
    you before, and I'm sure they'd be current.

    I miss living in Louisville, friendly people and Cincinatti Style Chili.
    They had a real nice disc golf course there, too. Weather sure beat this
    muggy hot Florida summers, too.

    Good luck in your studies.

    FrisbeeĀ®, Jul 6, 2005

  3. beekay

    Kline Sphere Guest

    Weather sure beat this
    what's the hurricane count up to this year :)

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Jul 6, 2005
  4. beekay

    LnkWizard Guest

    0 hurricanes so far but there have been four named storms so far
    with the last one Dennis still active and trying to grow.

    Lnkwizard2 MCNGP 2^5

    http://www.mcngp.com

    LnkWizard, Jul 6, 2005
  5. beekay

    catwalker63 Guest

    Transcender and/or SelfTest

    Also, I think MS Press has improved since you took the exams. Each book
    is an individual though. Check reviews at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.
    I've used them for every 2000 exam and also used another book for each
    one as well and found the MS Press books more complete. Continue to use
    Technet, KB, and online help files to round out your study. You can
    still download 180day evals of W2K3 server and the MS Press book has a
    copy too so set up a lab -- that will help you the most.

    There have been many complaints from seasoned test takers about failing
    292 so make sure you're ready and register for the second shot free (good
    until end of August).

    Good luck! Let us know how you do!

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    catwalker63, Jul 6, 2005
  6. beekay

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    swoosh... swoosh...
    is it a bird? nope.

    swoosh... swoosh...
    is it a plane? nope!

    swoosh... swoosh...
    is it superman? nope!

    but there goes bubba's house way up in the sky.

    Rowdy Yates, Jul 7, 2005
  7. Hi,
    I am presently preparing for the MCSE 2003 Exams and have used the MS
    press books and the uCertify Exam simulation for the preparation of my
    70-291 and 70-294 exams. I have found them very useful becuse they
    provide you a lot of explantions, both for the correct as well as the
    incorrect answers. Tips and tricks and articles provided with the
    simulation also helped me to understand the concepts and prepare
    better. I highly recommend it to anyone preparing for the MCSE 2003
    exams.

    AlisiaWillimans, Jul 7, 2005