70-290 Exam and Training Materials

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by MIK, Oct 14, 2004.

  1. MIK

    MIK Guest

    I just got done failing the 70-290 exam.

    I've been studying using primarily the Windows Server 2003 Environment
    Training Kit, published by Microsoft. I went through the entire book, did
    all the practice questions - both in the book and on the CD, as well as some
    other practice exams.

    Funny thing... the practice questions all had something to do with the study
    material and exam objectives. A large number of the questions on the actual
    exam didn't.

    I thought I was supposed to learn about physical and logical devices; users,
    computers and groups; access to resources; managing a server; and disaster
    recovery. But apparently, I forgot to study up on Visual Basic.

    And was my test computer screwed, or do all the Microsoft exams have 1/2"
    high screen fonts?

    So now I'm left with the question, what the hell do I study?

    MIK

    MIK, Oct 14, 2004

  2. MIK

    Guest Guest

    good question

    Guest, Oct 15, 2004

  3. You have two alternatives:

    #1 Cheat your ass off (not really an option these days)

    or
    #2 Over-learn the materials
    Download and read both of these
    and
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=4705

    They are very heavy reading but worth the effort.

    Combine the two downloads and MS Press and you got a guaranteed pass.

    To be honest though, 290 isnt exactly a hard exam (unlike 293 and
    297), did you really absorb and understand the materuals or did you
    get page blind?

    Did you write yourself some notes ?

    Did you try using CBTs as well as books ?

    Did you think of posting some questions on the topics you found hard
    in order to get someone like Laura <we're not worthy> A. Robinson to
    give you some advice.

    The new series of exams is not easy (some versions of the same exam
    are harder than others too) MS dont want you to just be able to read
    one book and pass now, you need to demonstrate a range of skills
    pulled from all over the curricuum that prove you are an engineer.

    Good luck going forward!

    Yours
    BOFH

    ================================
    My Hero:
    (remove vroomfondle to email me)
    ================================

    Marlin Munrow, Oct 15, 2004
  4. MIK

    MIK Guest

    Thanks! I will check out the links.

    I did write notes, I did understand most of the material quite well, and
    used several practice exams. I also have 7 years of experience as a network
    administrator - although I have only used Windows 2003 Server for about a
    year now. We have a tiny company, so the admin stuff isn't exactly
    challenging. I don't know what a CBT is.

    I think there were a few reasons why I didn't pass:
    1) When I scheduled my exam, it said that I would be given 2 hours, 45
    minutes to write it. When I arrived, I found out that I had only 90. That
    flustered me.
    2) The screen fonts were HUGE. Having to lean way back and scroll endlessly
    was a nuisance and made it hard to concentrate.
    3) The 1 pen I was given didn't write from the get go, so that didn't help.
    4) Some questions about Visual Basic - not supposed to be part of that exam.
    5) Too many questions about Terminal Server - not my strong point.
    6) Several more questions about material that was not covered at all in my
    MS Press Training Kit.

    Anyway, thanks again for the help. I'll read the stuff from those links. If
    you can let me know what a CBT is, that might also help.

    MIK

    MIK, Oct 16, 2004
  5. MIK

    Jacek Guest

    CBTNuggets -video trainings pretty good one, and expensive.

    Jacek, Oct 16, 2004
  6. Hi

    You need to get practiced at the write and wip-off boards and dont be
    afraid to walk out and ask for another one (you can only have one at a
    time)

    On the contrary vbscripting (to create users and modify settings) is
    very much part of the syllabus.

    The materials you think weremt in MS Press are in the links I posted.

    Good luck
    BOFH

    ================================

    Marlin Munrow, Oct 16, 2004
  7. MIK

    catwalker63 Guest

    "MIK" <> prattled ceaslessly in

    CBT = Computer Based Training

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    "Definitely not wearing any underwear."

    catwalker63, Oct 16, 2004
  8. MIK

    Abe Guest

    Do you really have to take the courses or will reading books be enough?

    Abe, Oct 17, 2004
  9. MIK

    catwalker63 Guest

    What preparation methods work best depends entirely on the person
    preparing for the exam. I didn't require courses but I don't think you
    will pass if you only read the books either. Setting up a home lab to
    practice with the product is far cheaper than taking classes and you have
    some equipment left to play with instead of a cheap sheet of paper saying
    you took a class. However, home study requires discipline which is hard
    to come by these days.

    catwalker63, Oct 17, 2004
  10. MIK

    Abe Guest

    I was thinking the same thing. I have many computers here at home and a
    room that I can set-up as a lab. Are there any website or forums
    dedication for this type of preperation?

    Abe, Oct 18, 2004
  12. MIK

    nerd32768 Guest

    plug them into a network, get some software, and install it
    the point is to learn ON YOUR OWN!!!!!

    nerd32768, Oct 18, 2004
  13. MIK

    Guest Guest

    I wont ......

    wat is the mcse

    Guest, Oct 29, 2004
  14. MIK

    solo/400 Guest

    If I remember correctly, 70-290 was mostly backup questions and share
    permissions and a few ras questions....

    Some of the stuff you could wing if you have been an administrator for
    atleast a year...

    this trick worked for me...

    1. Read the solution criteria usually found near the end of the
    question.
    2. Read the question from the beginning and relate the relevant facts
    to the solution criteria.
    3. Determine your own answer before reading the multiple choice
    answers - how would you satisfy the solution criteria?
    4. Read all of the answers to find the best match to the solution
    criteria. Notice the patterns in the answers. If two or more answers
    appear to be correct then one answer is better than any of the others
    based on the solution criteria. Carefully re-read the criteria to
    eliminate all but one answer.
    5. Choose the best answer and mark it. If the answer is unclear,
    eliminate any answers you know to be wrong to limit the remaining
    choices and improve your odds. If you have eliminated all but one
    answer and it appears to be wrong then it is must be correct. When in
    doubt over multiple selections choose an answer that best exemplifies
    a Windows 2003 feature.
    6. Read the question from the beginning together with the single
    answer you selected to confirm your choice.

    it might take long, but hey you'll pass...

    solo/400, Nov 5, 2004
  15. MIK

    dekker Guest

    well - i have to say that yestarday i had the same stuff and now i am
    amaized to see that you have the same thing to say about MS exams, i
    wasn't ready for scripting and in no one of the mock tests i didn't
    see any mentions of VBS....

    i hope that next week - on my next test it will be better....

    Hell!

    dekker, Nov 10, 2004
  16. The test prep kit gives you the book knowledge. However, you really need to
    be in either a physical or virtual environment such that you get hands on
    experience with the material that you studied. My suggestion is to take an
    instructor lead course and engage in the use of transcenders.

    Jeffrey Williams, Jan 1, 2005