70-270 & 70-290 PASSED! How accurate are my scores?

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by manbo, Mar 8, 2005.

  1. manbo

    manbo Guest

    Took 70-270 (Windows XP Pro) and 70-290 (Windows 2003 Server) today
    and passed both. Was a little nervous, on both to be honest. Certain
    sims I used to prepare failed me on less than 700 and some questions
    I've seen posted had really thrown me, so I was least confident in my
    last few days up to the exams.

    Make use of the Microsoft free retake voucher - lucky for me I've not
    needed to use mine. Prometric wouldn't allow me to use the voucher for
    both my exams so that added to the stress (worrying about forking out
    money for an exam I may have JUST failed by one question).

    OK. My scores?

    70-270 830
    70-290 812

    Now, the WinXP exam had more questions than the Server exam, so that
    got me worried on the server exams - more qns wrong = more chance of
    failing.

    I've tried to understand how well / how bad I've done and see what I
    could find out about the scoring but I can't find anything to say what
    these scores might be out of. 1000? I've seen some info on the net to
    say the 70-290 has a max score of 755 or something. The posts could be
    out of date... so how well did I really do? I know I did alright on my
    CCNA coz I managed to get a 934. I don't care what the 934 is out of
    because either way I have a feeling that's over a 90% in either case.
    My Microsoft exams though...?

    Was wondering if anyone else has taken either of these exams and found
    that they could achieve over 900... so that I can shut my brain up and
    just be happy I did well enough to pass and get certified.

    I'm here to share my views and questions - anyone else, feel free to
    do the same.

    - MaNBo

    manbo, Mar 8, 2005

  2. manbo

    catwalker63 Guest

    (manbo) prattled ceaslessly in
    <snip>

    Microsoft does not disclose maximum scores. It is my understanding that,
    although the passing score is 700 on all exams, the maximum can vary from
    exam to exam. It is possible to score above 1000 on some exams and
    questions are weighted (some questions are worth more than others). I
    scored over 900 on three of four of my 2000 track exams. In the end a
    pass is a pass. Congratulations!

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    "Incredible! One of the worst performances of my career and they never
    doubted it for a second."

    catwalker63, Mar 8, 2005

  3. manbo

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, manbo climbed on a soapbox & opined:
    Microsoft thinks how well you did should be a secret.

    I just happen to have handy from a discussion elsewhere;

    "The new scale requires a minimum passing score of 700 on all exams. The
    maximum score on the exams will vary depending on the complexity of the
    skills being measured." [1]

    Several folks have reported scores in excess of 1000 on some tests.

    [1]http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/faq/procedures.asp

    Google is your friend.

    JaR, Mar 8, 2005
  4. manbo

    Guest Guest

    Did 290 have any of the new simulation questions yet? They say that they are
    going to add them by the end of the month.
    What's up with Prometric? MS says that you get one "do over" per paid exam.
    Did you use some other voucher?

    I'm going to try to take this one in a couple weeks.

    JenH

    Guest, Mar 8, 2005
  5. manbo

    Neil Guest

    hmmmm, that should be an faq somewhere else....

    Neil, Mar 8, 2005
  6. manbo

    Bart Guest

    "Only one Second Shot is available per paid initial exam."

    It seems Thomson Prometric doesn't understand the new promotion.

    Bart, Mar 8, 2005
  7. manbo

    JaR Guest

    It is.

    JaR, Mar 8, 2005
  8. manbo

    Scott Burns Guest

    What wa on the 70-270 exam.

    Scott

    Scott Burns, Mar 8, 2005
  9. manbo

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Scott Burns climbed on a soapbox &
    opined:
    Hoot, laddie! It wa fair loaded wi queries aboot tha wee windoos an likeit.

    JaR, Mar 8, 2005
  10. manbo

    Neil Guest

    fine but the link should work, shouldn't it?

    Neil, Mar 8, 2005
  11. manbo

    JaR Guest

    *hands neil the screwdriver*

    JaR, Mar 8, 2005
  12. I received a 936 on my 70-270 and an 850 on my 70-290. Be happy /
    thanksful you passed and by a comfortable margin. I hear many tales of
    people barely squeaking by with scores of 733 or falling just short
    with scores of 694. 800s mean you have a solid grasp of the material,
    900s means you practically a guru, 1000s means you are a genius, 1100
    means you are Bill Gates. ;-)

    blastingfonda, Mar 8, 2005
  13. manbo

    Neil Guest

    FINE! done

    Neil, Mar 8, 2005
  14. manbo

    Guest Guest

    Guru, huh? I got a 923 on 270 - don't tell anybody, they'll start making me
    work on desktops!

    JenH

    Guest, Mar 8, 2005
  15. Note I said pratically!

    blastingfonda, Mar 8, 2005
  16. manbo

    actdwhiting Guest

    I just took my 70-270 test yesterday and I also passed but
    with a score of 814. I was checking on-line yesterday and
    couldn't find what these tests were out of either. The
    best guess that I've come up with is that the test is
    scored from 200 as the lowest possible and 900 as the
    highest possible. I'm also not sure if each question
    counts for the same amount of points or if they very due to
    difficulty.

    You said that the 70-290 exam had less questions than the
    70-270 exam. My 70-270 exam had 50 questions; how many
    questions did you see on the 70-290 exam?

    actdwhiting, Mar 9, 2005
  17. manbo

    catwalker63 Guest

    Scores higher than 900 have been sighted! You guessed wrong.

    catwalker63, Mar 9, 2005
  18. manbo

    a5948wil10

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    From: Alvin Williams

    What's up ManBo! Congratulations on passing the 70-270 and 70-290 exams. I'm actually in the process of going to take the 70-290 exam and could definitely use your help. I wanted to know if you still have that Microsoft retake voucher. If so, could I possibly obtain it from you since you don't need it. Also, I am willing to sacrifice a reasonable payment to you at your discretion.

    Hit me up.

    cell phone (757) 259-5948

    Sincerely,

    Alvin Williams