70-219 BIND Question?

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Ant, Jun 16, 2004.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Can you guys help me out.... I've been revising for 70-219
    using the Exam Cram 2 book from Que. The book states that
    Bind 8.1.2 is required for Srv and dynamic update support.

    A friend let me borrow his cbtnugget 70-219 video.. which
    tells me that the version of bind to support srv and
    dynamic updates is 8.2.1

    Who was right... I did a google search for bind srv
    dynamic update the first page to come back is

    www.microsoft.com/technet/
    community/columns/profwin/pw1200.mspx

    Which states 8.2.1

    A KB article on MS web site states 8.1.2

    Anyone have a clue who is right.... I'm about 90% sure is
    gonna be 8.1.2... Id like to be 100% before I sit the exam!

    Cheers,

    Ant

    Ant, Jun 16, 2004

  2. Ant

    TechGeekPro Guest

    From the Exam Cram 70-219 Windows 2000 Directory Services Design:

    "BIND 8.2.2 is the first reliable version of BIND to perform dynamic updates
    successfully.

    Note: You may find references to BIND 8.2.1 in older documentation. BIND
    8.2.1 however, crashes when updated by a Windows 2000 computer and is
    therefore not very well suited to a Windows 2000 implementation."

    Apparently the Exam Cram 2 series books aren't any better then the original
    Exam Cram series.

    TechGeekPro, Jun 16, 2004

  3. Hello,

    BIND 8.1.2 (BIND 8.1.1 also but it's bugged) support SRV and dynamic updates
    but not IXFR (Only AXFR is supported).

    BIND 8.2.1 support also IXFR zone tranfer.

    Bye

    Farrokh Azadharf, Jun 16, 2004
  4. The deal is that the support was added in 8.1.1, but it didn't really work.
    However, the idea of asking about BIND versions is pretty bogus now because
    so many security issues have been discovered. The real story about BIND and
    its versions is at http://www.isc.org. Microsoft has a Whitepaper on
    integrating BIND and Windows DNS. That gives a better view of how it is
    really done. For the test, I wouldn't be answering 8.1.1, if 8.1.2 was also
    an option. If you see a question like that on the exam (referencing those
    versions) you should make a comment that it is time to revise it.

    Good luck!

    Kurt Hudson [MVP DS], Jun 17, 2004