    Don Guest

    Going for 70-217 exam in a week from now.
    Anyone got any HELPFUL info and tips?

    Don, Aug 3, 2003

  2. Don

    Ali Guest

    if you've studied the books, and some tests... you'll pass for sure. I found
    it 2nd easiest out of all. =o)

    HTH
    Ali,
    MCSA

    Ali, Aug 3, 2003

  3. Don

    Marko Guest

    Hello Don

    Are you implying that some of the posts are not helpful?!?

    Know how to look at logs and use filters to find what you
    want? Do you know what objects to look for?
    The answer will nearly always be Global Group.
    Do you know everything about GPOs? Application deployment?
    Do you know how to do an authoritive restore from a
    backup, and why you would?
    Know how RIS works? RIPrep.exe?
    You will have to know more than the basics about DNS,
    DHCP, ADs, subnets and routing. DNS will ask about SRV
    records, UNIX boxes, that sort of thing. DHCP with AD and
    DNS, making it work with authorisation, etc. AD - moving
    domains, creating new ones, changing to native mode,
    understanding forests, etc.
    Know how to assign Secure Server IPSec Policy.
    Secedit command usage.
    Security - templates, .pol, permissions, assignment,
    password rules.
    Using scripts (account creation)
    dcpromo.exe, KCC, ntdsutil, movetree - know when and how
    to use them?
    Know about the different Server Roles.
    Know all about security groups, containers?
    Can you create links and set replication schedules?
    Know about roaming profiles, folder redirection?
    Know how to use System monitor and counters with your eyes
    shut?
    Know what the different RAID levels are.

    I am sure there is more, but if you nail the above I am
    sure you will do well. It took me around 10 minutes to
    look over my old notes to come up with that list so I hope
    it helps.

    Regards

    Marko

    Marko, Aug 3, 2003
  4. Don

    jessieg Guest

    Yes, i just did that exam. Know your gpo's, windows
    installer packages, auditing (most my gpos where on
    those), know how gpo's get applied and where. I had many
    site and active directory replicataion(site links, some
    site gpo's, site link bridges lots of graphics for this
    section for me at least) Dns, know how microsoft dns
    intergrates with bind and NT for interoperability. aFTER
    THAT YOU SHOULD BE SET good luck bro.

    jessieg, Aug 3, 2003
  5. Don

    Don Guest

    Thanks for that guys.

    Marko - Sometimes people put some really unnesesary words in here.
    Most of it is helpfull though. It is sometimes a mission to go through
    it all and descipher some of it.

    Thanks for taking the time to send the post, it will help indeed.
    If you have left anything out, I am not worried, I have it all
    covered.
    I have read the book (and understood it) and work with it, so should
    be alright.

    Obviously not everyone often times gets to do all that Active
    Directory (and 2000/2003) is capable of in a live environment,
    especially on set-up and stable working sites (sometimes small too),
    so experience is not always available and simualtions have to suffice.
    That's the reason why I asked, also to know if they concentrate on
    particular areas that they want you to know well (they=Microsoft).
    I haven't had problems with 210, 215 and 216 (or any since NT3.51
    exams) so don't expect problems with this one.
    But is it as long and brain frying as 216 was? i.e. long scenarios and
    solutions.
    What about simulations, are than m/any?
    I know how to configure sites and Active Directory objects, but
    sometimes have to have the MMC in front of me to do it, and cannot
    remeber each icon name and click sequence out of my head.
    I got a few simulations in 216 where I had to click 'check boxes' and
    drag names into 'dialog' boxes and select options from drop down
    boxes. I found those a lot easier than choosing an text answer saying
    'Right click here' or Start-Programs-Administr.........' you know what
    I mean.

    Tip from me. If you scuba dive, then get out to Townsville, Queensland
    and go diving on the outer reef there. There is not much better reef
    diving anywhere else in the world.

    Be cool,
    Don

    Don, Aug 3, 2003