    Maestro Guest

    Please clarify, which part is worth it... selling his ass
    or earning the cert?

    Maestro, Jul 31, 2003

  2. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    Maestro Guest

    He's selling his ass anyway!

    Maestro, Jul 31, 2003

  3. I'm not going for my MCSE to land a job. I have more than enough practical
    experience and expertise to get any IT job I want with or without a
    certification. It's purely a personal goal, moreso for the hell of it than
    anything else.

    I have college degrees which I rely on to help get me the job, not the MCSE
    I'm going for. :) It's just for fun really. What's 1 grand in testing,
    big deal.

    clint

    Clint Kennedy, Jul 31, 2003
  4. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    Gary - US Guest

    WOOO TWO degrees....... In what? And what tech certs do you already have?

    --

    Semper Fi & God Bless America,

    Gary-US MCNGP #20 & retired Jarhead

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
    ** Kindly Do The Needful **

    Gary - US, Aug 1, 2003
  5. No, man, I mean it. It's really difficult for an Argentinean to save money
    for this certifications.

    For example: I'm 22 years old and I earn 400 pesos per month administering a
    10 PCs LAN (W2K based). Three pesos are one dollar (more or less) nowadays.
    So I'm making about 135 dollars per month for 8 hours per day, for 22
    working days a month.

    I'm actually at 4 semester of the CCNA and also saving for my next MS's
    certifications.

    It's no joke, I need to make really sure that the MCSE will provide me
    advantages when I apply for an IT job.

    I hope you understand.

    Thanks.

    Carlos Ignacio Tapia, Aug 1, 2003
  6. Carlos, I have no doubt it's not easy for anyone to be able to afford
    certification.
    You've got a great head start, then. You have actual experience. Keep in
    mind that while your salary is low by US standards, I'm sure your cost of
    living is likewise considerably lower than here in the US. I also realize
    that you will be paying for your exam in US dollars, so your point is still
    valid.
    Have you asked your employer to pick up the tab?
    That's the only drawback for asking your employer. If your motivation is to
    get a better paying job elsewhere, obviously they won't be too happy to pay
    it for you. If you're willing to make it as an investment, however, you
    might negotiate with your employer to sign a contract stating that if they
    pay for your certs, you'll stay with them for "X" number of years.
    I think I do. Was just having a little fun with the expression you used.
    Your English is outstanding, by the way.
    Welcome.

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Aug 1, 2003
  7. Why do you care? :)

    B.S. - Computer Science (CSAB/CSAC Accredited)
    B.S. - Mathematics (Minor In Physics)

    As for certs, I have an outdated CNE that I don't even refer to anymore
    (been Networking since Netware on 286s), currently just MCP-2000, working
    towards MCSA/MCSE simply for fun (never hurts to have something to fall back
    on). I've been in the IT world long before the "IT boom" and never really
    cared all that much about technical certifications, didn't need them. I'm
    picking up some now just for the fun of it and because a lot of employers
    won't give you an interview without certain certs, no matter how much your
    experience is (i.e. hr person is told to make a stack of resumes that have
    this and that cert and only call the ones in the right stack for an
    interview, it's simple). I'm employed as a developer, and I'll probably be
    working here for a long time, so certs are just personal goals. What I was
    trying to say in my original post is that there is no reason to inflict a
    bitter attitude on someone else shooting for a goal just because your own
    goals didn't turn out the way you wanted them to. That's a pretty general
    statement.

    - Clint

    Clint Kennedy, Aug 1, 2003
  8. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    billyw Guest

    wow a guy that can count..
    i dont qualify for a BA in the 2x tables

    billyw, Aug 1, 2003
  9. I also seem to recall you stating you couldn't find a job and are now
    working for yourself?

    -c

    Clint Kennedy, Aug 1, 2003
  10. I must say that I personally find your attitude, mostly conceited and
    sanctimonious, really outrageous for a hiring manager.

    Consider this: I am a small business (Law Firm, Realtor, Mortgage firm or
    small Health Group) and I need either one or two persons to structure,
    network and maintain operation of my Computers, servers, network, software,
    patches, security, email. etc (IT Dept).

    WHY? Would I hire a person with a CS Degree who has no clue how to run any
    windows application, let alone Administer or Engineer a complete Windows
    systems? (My company must use Windows Platform because all the emplyees who
    work the business are computer illiterate and can only click on pretty
    pictures to input the valuable information my business requires.)

    I would rather hire a person who is experienced in the way my business
    works, with its stress factors and deadlines and LEGAL ramifications, with
    the hands-on EXPERIENCE in IT.

    Earned MCSA/MCSE certs would merely be a factor to show that the cadidate
    has the fortitude to begin and finish a task they set for themselves. I
    think my degrees already top that. But I am willing to earn the Certs for
    the employers' wishes.

    Also, I can easily go to the local community college and earn a CS Degree
    taking courses which are based on MS Certs! I already have all the
    background classes (math, science, etc). So all I need are their versions
    of the MS classes! So how does this somehow glorify your CS degree?

    As to NASA, I did study space law and considered applying at NASA, but
    decided computers were more fun.

    BTW JD does not mean a 'jurisdictional doctorate".

    I guess it is a good thing you are not my hiring manager because I would be
    more interested in poking you in the nose you sanctimounious AssFauker!

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Aug 1, 2003
  12. I'm sorry, Diana... you got a 6.5 from the Russian Judge.

    Your package is on hold... I've already called Fed Ex and told them to hold
    their horses.

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Aug 1, 2003
  13. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    Consultant Guest

    i'm sorry, but we have guidelines. i cannot be like microsoft and lower the
    bar to increase our numbers. that term must be used in it's pure form

    Consultant, Aug 1, 2003
  14. I have run out of dogs to pin my lapel pins, guess ill use the cats

    Diana K Brown, Aug 1, 2003
  15. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    Consultant Guest

    not at all

    Consultant, Aug 1, 2003
  16. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    JaR Guest

    And has she showed a proficiency in Kerpalism?

    JaR, Aug 1, 2003
  17. Besides, can you imagine what the MCNGP Christmas parties
    would be like with JTYC and a lawyer in the room???

    Keyboard Cowboy, Aug 1, 2003
  18. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    Jtyc Guest

    Besides, can you imagine what the MCNGP Christmas parties
    That reminds me.... I need to get a concealed weapons permit.

    Jtyc, Aug 1, 2003
  19. Got mine.. .Been carrying for a month now... Damn it
    feels good.

    Keyboard Cowboy, Aug 1, 2003
  20. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    billyw Guest

    wonder if a crutch always feels that good,,
    does it make you feel like a man?

    billyw, Aug 1, 2003