    convince me why I should care about a 64bit operating system?

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    Jeff Ingram, Aug 22, 2008

  2. Why should we convince you? If you can't use more than 4 GB of RAM on your
    motherboard, don't bother. Are there advantages besides RAM? Certainly. But
    not any you're likely to notice, and there is certainly more to deal with.
    Stick with 32-bit Vista. If, and when, you buy a new machine with >4gb or at
    least the ability to have >4GB, then move to 64-bit.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 22, 2008

  3. I'm with Charlie on this. If you have a $3.000 machine that is bogged down
    by the work you do, you probably do need more memory and a 64bit OS.

    If not, forget it - keep it as it is, as long as you're happy. At least 80%
    of the information you are likely to hear is myth, miss-information and/or
    'hype'. There is no speed-factor between a 32bit and a 64bit OS - only the
    width of the data-path, and only if you need to pass on enough data will you
    see the speed-factor. The time will come when you will need a new machine,
    that'll be time enough when you can pave the way for the future.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 22, 2008
  4. Jeff Ingram

    S.SubZero Guest

    Vista x64 only comes with retail Vista Ultimate, on a separate DVD.
    For the other versions, MS will sell an x64 disc to qualified Vista 32-
    bit owners for $10.

    S.SubZero, Aug 23, 2008