    Kamil Kieca Guest

    anyone knows where to get it? I have ordinary 2904 Scsi2 card and it is the
    only driver that I don't have to switch to 64 bit windows

    Kamil Kieca, Jun 7, 2005

  2. Kamil Kieca

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Kamil.

    It looks like you and I are in the same boat: abandoned by Adaptec. :>(

    It took some searching, but I finally found this page on Adaptec's website:
    http://adaptec-tic.adaptec.com/cgi-...X4mcF9jYXRfbHZsMT1_YW55fiZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

    Or, if that ridiculously long URL doesn't work, go to www.adaptec.com and
    then to the ASK database and look for the "NEW" article ID 13476, "What
    Adaptec products are supported in Windows XP x64 Edition?" There is a
    matrix listing Adaptec products with 3 columns, showing whether the driver
    is on the WinXP x64 CD, planned, or available now from Adaptec. Scroll way
    down to get to SCSI Host Adapters.

    For both the 2930 Family (including my AHA-2930U2, I assume) and the 2900
    Family (including the 2904CD), all 3 columns have the single word "No" in
    Red. :>( Also, several of the card numbers are followed by "(EOL)", which
    I suppose means "End of Life", and that Adaptec doesn't plan to support them
    anymore.

    My 2930U2 is 4 1/2 years old. It still works well in WinXP (32-bit), but
    the only SCSI device I still have is my "humongous" 9 GB IBM hard drive.
    This seems a good time to move up to SATA and retire SCSI, so I bought a 120
    GB SATA HD (my mobo has 6 built-in SATA connectors) and am in the process of
    reorganizing my system.

    RC

    R. C. White, Jun 7, 2005

  3. Kamil Kieca

    Kamil Kieca Guest

    Thanks for so wide answer. It looks like we're really stuck. I have to find
    atapi version of my Jaz drive then...

    Kamil Kieca, Jun 8, 2005
  4. 2904 is a like 2940 without Bios on the board. Both use aic78xx.sys driver

    so I suggest you "force" the device manager and select
    "Adaptec AHA-2940U/2940UW/2940D PCI SCSI Controller"

    you can also try edit WINDOWS\inf\pnpscsi.inf (with notepad.exe, and after
    backup original file)

    under the line
    %PCI\VEN_9004&DEV_8178.DeviceDesc% = aic78xx_Inst, PCI\VEN_9004&DEV_8178
    add the two lines :
    %PCI\VEN_9004&DEV_5078.DeviceDesc% = aic78xx_Inst, PCI\VEN_9004&DEV_5078
    %PCI\VEN_9004&DEV_5075.DeviceDesc% = aic78xx_Inst, PCI\VEN_9004&DEV_5075

    and under the line
    PCI\VEN_9004&DEV_8178.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec AHA-2940U/2940UW/2940D PCI SCSI
    Controller"
    add the two lines::
    PCI\VEN_9004&DEV_5078.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec AIC-7850 PCI SCSI Controller"
    PCI\VEN_9004&DEV_5075.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec AIC-7550 PCI SCSI Controller"

    Of course, this is without official support.
    Tell us if this solves your problem !

    Gilles Vollant, Jun 8, 2005
  5. Kamil Kieca

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Gilles.

    Thanks for that!

    I edited the x64 version of \windows\inf\pnpscsi.inf to copy these lines
    from the 32-bit version .inf:
    %PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_0011.DeviceDesc% = aic78u2_Inst, PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_0011
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_0011&SUBSYS_01819005.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec AHA-2930U2 -
    Ultra2 SCSI"

    I added those after the "_0010" version of each line. Then I used the Add
    Hardware Wizard and guided it to the updated pnpscsi.inf file. And it
    worked! So far, at least. The volumes on the SCSI drive show up in My
    Computer and Windows Explorer. If further testing reveals a problem, I'll
    let you know. As you said, "Of course, this is without official support."

    RC

    R. C. White, Jun 13, 2005
  6. RC -- this would be a good thing to upload to planetamd64.com for others to
    grab if they need it.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 13, 2005
  7. Kamil Kieca

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Charlie.

    Well, as I found out, the 2930U2 was not a very popular model of the Adaptec
    host adapter, apparently. (I got it in the fall of 1999, and it worked in
    Win98, but this specific model apparently was so new that its drivers did
    not get onto the Win2K CD-ROM, so I had to wait a month or so after February
    2000 for Adaptec to produce drivers. So the current situation with a 64-bit
    driver gives me sort of a deja vu feeling.) But if you think that either
    the specific lines or the generic idea of editing pnpscsi.inf would be
    helpful to others, then feel free to share it. After all, I got the idea
    here from Gilles Vollant. And my oft-stated philosophy is: In a newsgroup,
    we all learn from each other.

    But, as Gilles also said, and I quoted, "...this is without official
    support." It worked for me,but it might not work for the next user who
    tries it, so back up (or rename) pnpscsi.inf first, just in case.

    I've looked at planetamd64.com, but haven't yet posted there. I find that
    site's color scheme intimidating and hard for me to read, and the
    organization of it is hard to follow, but there is a lot of good stuff
    there.

    RC

    R. C. White, Jun 14, 2005
  8. If we upload anything on planetAMD64 , this must be a general .INF
    modification for all Adaptec board that use AIC7850 or compatible chip and
    aic78xx.sys drivers

    2930U2 is based on AIC7880 and is on standard Windows 64 bits inf.

    pehaps it is better, instead edit pnpscsi.inf, create an additional .inf

    Gilles Vollant, Jun 14, 2005