    This error message is indicative of no codecs I believe.

    WMP x32 with K-Lite works great.

    Thanks!

    Dominick, May 1, 2008

  2. Dominick

    Carlos Guest

    Carlos, May 1, 2008

  3. Dominick

    Dominick Guest

    Is this an decoder that runs under a 64 bit OS, or a 64 bit codec? I
    suspect it's the former? I installed and tried running it under Media
    Player 64 bit, and I got the error "WMP cannot play DVD video...". I
    made sure MPEG-2 was enabled. Using 32 bit Media Player, the DVD ran...

    Dominick, May 1, 2008
  4. Dominick

    Carlos Guest

    Dominick,
    It is an x64 native decoder.
    The only thing that I can suggest is that you check its configuration in
    Start, All Programs, ffdshow
    Best of luck
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 1, 2008
  5. Dominick

    Carlos Guest

    Dominick,
    There may be other variables in my PC that could allow MPEG2 (DVD) playback
    in WMP64.
    I noticed that, when playing a DVD with WMP64, the only ffdshow icon I have
    in systray is the audio.
    That means that ffdshow is decoding only the audio and not the video.
    WMP64 doesn't give me any clue about which are the decoders it is using for
    decoding the DVD.
    "Something" is decoding the Video.
    Posible suspect: Nero 8
    I made a custom install of Nero 8, choosing not to install Nero Show Time
    (the "player") but I installed Nero Vision along with a bunch of audio/video
    decoders I was not offered to select.
    Was IS really strange is that WMP64 needs an x64 MPEG2 decoder and I don't
    know where it is.
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 1, 2008
  6. Dominick

    Dominick Guest

    Thanks - this is very interesting.

    I have been told that there are virtually no 64 bit decoders available
    right now for MPEG2, one however being the decoder in Vista Ultimate or
    the next SKU down from that. Are you running on either of these OSs? I
    am on WinSrv 2008 so it does not have a 64 bit decoder, nor do the lower
    end Vista SKUs. I do not believe Nero has a 64 bit decoder, nor does DivX.

    Dominick, May 1, 2008
  7. Dominick

    Carlos Guest

    Vista Ultimate x64 with SP1.
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 1, 2008
  8. Dominick

    Carlos Guest

    Ok, it seems that MSMPEG2VDEC.dll is the one decoding MPEG2 (DVD) videos.
    There is one in system32 and another one in the SysWOW64 path.
    That leads me to conclude that Vista x64 has both MPEG2 decoders (x86 and
    x64) embedded.
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 1, 2008
  9. Dominick

    Dominick Guest

    Yes that is right - I have heard Vista Ultimate and next next-lower SKU
    have built in 64 bit decoders (and 32 bit of course). Lower SKUs of
    Vista, and WinSrv 2008, do not. And the third-party world has not come
    up with a true 64 bit decoder set either from what I can find. There
    are packages that run on 64 bit OSs, but these are using 32 bit decoders
    at least in the MPEG2 world (not true of all decoders). Also, I have
    read that the codec on Vista Ultimate cannot be transferred/installed
    to/on another OS/SKU.

    If anyone thinks this is wrong, that there is a third party true 64 bit
    decoder or codec that supports MPEG2, than please post here!

    Dominick, May 2, 2008
  10. Dominick

    Carlos Guest

    Dominick,
    My best guess is that ffdshow 64-bit has true 64-bit decoders.
    Why?
    Windows Movie Maker is a 64-bit application.
    If you try to open an XVid encoded video, and many other compression
    formats, with it you will get an error.
    After installing ffdshow 64-bit the video file can be opened with WMM.
    Same goes to Windows DVD Maker.
    Now, getting back to DVD playback.
    One thing is having the MPEG2 codec installed (that will allow you to play
    *.mp2 files) and quite a different one is DVD playback.
    The player has to go to the VIDEO_TS folder and open the *.IFO file which is
    sort of the index of all the stuff in the DVD.
    What I don't know is: where is the intelligence to interpret that info
    embedded?
    The player, a decoder?
    If you still want to play a DVD in true 64-bit, don't hesitate and use Media
    Player Classic Home Cinema, x64 version. That's the one I use and it has its
    own internal decoders.

    BTW
    Have you gone to ffdshow (64-bit) video decoder configuration program and
    enabled mpeg2 decoding?
    I mean...
    Start, All Programs, ffdshow64, Video decoder configuration.
    Click on Codecs (left pane) and look for MPEG2 (right pane) in the "Format"
    column.
    What do you have there?
    Disabled, libavcodec, libmpeg2?
    Choose one of the last two and click on apply.
    Best of luck.
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 2, 2008
  11. Dominick

    Dominick Guest

    HI Carlos,

    Yes I have tried ffdshow - even the experimental one. I have gone in and
    tried both codecs for MPEG2. No dice. I wonder if something is missing
    on a WinSrv 2008 machine?

    Thanks for the tip on MPC Home Cinema. One thing that troubles me from
    the writeup I saw:

    New version! - MPC Homecinema is now available in 64 bits version for
    Vista (should also work on XP-64). Some functionality have been removed,
    because they are not available yet in 64 bits: internal MPEG decoder and
    QuickTime are not supported, some "tricks" may not working because
    Microsoft Detour library is not free for 64 bits plateform.

    32 and 64 bits are completely separate world: MPC-HC 64 will use only 64
    bits codecs installed on your machine. It's not possible to mix in one
    process 32 bits Dll with 64 bits, so you will still MPC-32 to play
    RealMedia or Quicktime for example. List of supported codec is:

    *
    Mpeg2 : using Vista Mpeg2 decoder (need Home editions)
    *
    WM9/VC1 : with Microsoft decoder
    *
    H264 : working with ffdshow X64 Experimental
    *
    XVid : working with ffdshow X64 Experimental
    *
    MKV : use internal Matroska filter (until Haali x64 is available)

    Dominick, May 3, 2008
  12. Dominick

    Carlos Guest

    Dominick,
    Any update?
    FWIW I can play DVD's in my notebook with Vista Home Premium x86 and WMP11.
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 4, 2008
  13. Dominick

    Dominick Guest

    Yep - I installed the MPC Homecinema, ,then I had to install

    the ffdshow 64 bit experimental, and it worked! And I verified

    that it was 64 bit.

    However, now the regular Windows Media Player 32 bit no longer works -
    it seems the install of ffdshow killed the MPEG2 codecs for the 32 bit
    even though that shouldn't happen...so I guess I can't have both..

    Dominick, May 5, 2008
  14. Dominick

    Carlos Guest

    Dominick,
    Start, All Programs, ffdshow32 (or whatever you have in the menu for ffdshow
    x86).
    Video Decoder Configuration.
    Choose Codecs (left pane) and set mpeg2 format to disabled (right pane).
    Apply and try.
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 5, 2008
  15. Dominick

    Dominick Guest

    Ugh.
    So last night I uninstalled mpc home cinema and the ffdshow to get my 32
    bits back. I don't have ffdshow32 installed. So first step, I unzip mpc
    hs into a folder. I install ffdshow64, make sure MPEG2 is enabled, and
    I insert a DVD. The 32 bit media player comes up fine. Great! I shut it
    down, confirm it's out of the task list, and run mpc hs. I get DVD The
    following pin failed to find a connectable filter: Navigator::Video

    So I try the other codec for MPEG2, no dice. I reinstall MPC HS, no
    dice. Now it doesn't work! I can't think of what is different now!

    Dominick, May 5, 2008
  16. Dominick

    Dominick Guest

    FIXED!!!

    I'll post what I did here in case any other idiots read this thread <g>

    First, I missed that there is a checkbox in ffdshow that is not
    apparently automatically set, that says DVD Decoding that will show up
    when you click on MPEG2.

    Second, based on your suggestion about turning off MPEG2 in ffdshow32
    (which is not installed), I just went into the DirectShow control on the
    left side of ffdshow, and then added 32 bit mplayer.exe (browsing to the
    file) in the list "Don't use ffdshow in".

    Now both work!

    Thanks so much for all your help Carlos, I would have never gotten this
    working without you!!

    Dominick, May 5, 2008
  17. Dominick

    Carlos Guest

    Dominick,
    Thanks a lot for your feedback!
    I have also learnt a few things from your experience.
    I had neither thouched anything in the DirectShow options nor seen the DVD
    checkbox.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 6, 2008
  18. Dominick

    Dominick Guest

    LOL This stuff seems to have a mind of its own doesn't it :)

    Dominick, May 6, 2008
  19. Dominick

    maks Guest

    Carlos and Dominick thanks for your posts.

    I have recently had exactly the same problem on my win XP x64 pro system. And I have now solved the problem after reading your posts. I now have myself the first x64 dvd/media player with an x64 dvd decoder (i think) succesfully operating on the XP x64 pro system!!!

    Here is my experience: For your information or anyone else that migh be interested, i initially had installed "K-Lite codec pack 64-bit v131" (klcp64v131.exe) and the latest Windows media player 11 (WMP11) 64-bit in the hopes to be able to play my dvds/movies on 64bit. Only later to find that WMP11 infact runs as a 32bit application only under the Win XP x64 pro.

    After about 3 days of searching the net for an alternative x64 player i found the one and only one "media player classic homecinema x64 for Vista". This application indeed runs as a x64 bit application and to my luck it runs fine on XP x64 pro.

    With the "K-Lite codec pack 64-bit v131" i modified the mpeg2 codec under ffdshow "Video decoder Configuration" and after nbumber of hours fiddling figured out how to enable it -> While mpeg2 codec was highlighted i made sure to check the box "DVD decoding", to unable it for use on dvd playback. Unfortunately "K-Lite codec pack 64-bit v131" only has two option for mpeg2: disabled, libavcodec. When selecting libavcodec for mpeg2 and playing the dvd in "media player classic x64" the dvd plays however the movie is not continuous - it appears that the picture plays too fast and discontinuous, but the sounds if fine.

    I then searched and found your posts and uninstalled "K-Lite codec pack 64-bit v131" and installed "ffdshow_rev1975_20080525_clsid_x64.exe" from the site you provided

    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=173941&package_id=199416

    Under "ffdshow64/Video decoder Configuration" i noticed that there are now three options: disabled, libavcodec, and libmpeg2. Once i set mpeg2 decoder as libmpeg2 - everything worked fine. I could now playback my dvds with no problems using the "media player classic homecinema x64". The only question remains is am i trully using an x64 decoder? From what i understand i believe I am. This all depends on what specific decoder is being used under libmpeg2.

    Thanks

    Maks

    maks, Jun 9, 2008