64-bit Ubuntu, Firefox 1.07, and RealPlayer

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Marek Williams, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. I installed RealPlayer in chroot on my Ubuntu-64 Breezy laptop. Doing
    so was easy, because it was just listed in Synaptic32. But it still
    wouldn't launch. After reading in the Ubuntu forums I figured out how
    to do it -- "dchroot -d realplay." Then I added that as a menu item
    and now I can launch it any time I want. Works perfectly.

    Perfectly, that is, except for one problem. If I click on a web page
    link to a streaming audio source and the source expects RealPlayer,
    RealPlayer pops up for a moment, then disappears, and Firefox
    disappears along with it. No warning, no error messages, nada. An
    example of such a site is www.allclassical.org (upper left corner of
    the page).

    Prior to installing Re3alPlayer in chroot I had a regular installation
    in the 64-bit world, and it did the same thing, only before if I tried
    to launch it standalone it also did the same thing -- appeared for a
    moment, then disappeared.

    I think Firefox is trying to call the version I installed in my 64-bit
    world. I'd delete it except it didn't come with an uninstall utility.
    Furthermore, it appears it scattered files from hell to breakfast all
    over my computer. There is a log file somewhere that says what it
    installed, but I haven't bothered to figure out how to get rid of the
    original installation. Even if I managed to uninstall it, Firefox
    would still keep trying to call it.

    In the Firefox about : plugins page there are several references to
    RealPlayer, but I don't understand any of them. None of them says
    anything clear like "ok, when the user clicks on a link to streaming
    audio open realplayer in /x/x folder and run it."

    Anyway, I've got RealPlayer running. Now all I have to do is inform
    Firefox of that fact. I posted the question on the Firefox general
    forum this morning, but only five people have even read the message
    and there are no replies.

    Does anyone here know how to tell Firefox where RealPlayer is and to
    launch it for streaming audio on web sites?

    Marek Williams, Jan 8, 2006

  2. Marek Williams

    Jedi Fans Guest

    <http://mozplugger.mozdev.org/> edit /etc/mozpluggerrc for
    the realaudio entries

    [I answered this in your previous thread...]

    Jedi Fans, Jan 8, 2006