64 bit printer driver installation on 32 bit server

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Jun 7, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    I have just taken delivery of 100+ workstations with Windows XP x64
    installed. These workstations will connect to an HP Color LaserJet 5550dn
    printer via my 32 bit Windows Server 2003 Print server. I have a native 32
    bit driver installed on this server but wish to add an additional 64 bit
    driver for the new workstations to download via "Point and Print".

    I have downloaded the 64 bit PCL6 driver for this printer from HP.com but
    when I attempt to add this driver to the shared printer on the print server,
    I receive the following error:

    "The specified location does not contain the driver HP Color LaserJet PCL 6
    for the requested architecture"

    I have also tried adding the driver in the 'Server Properties' dialogue box.
    When I have selected the driver, the wizard prompts me to insert a Windows
    Server 2003 x64 CD and locate ntprint.inf within the amd64 folder. When I
    browse to this location and click OK, the dialogue box prompts again for the
    same location. No error message is presented.

    Anybody seen this before? Any ideas for a solution?

    Guest, Jun 7, 2007

  2. There are two very different 64-bit XP operating systems - one, the XP
    64-bit Edition is no longer sold and was for Itanium systems. The other is
    XP Professional x64 Edition, and is for AMD64 systems (including Intel
    EM64T). It is quite easy from the HP site to have downloaded the wrong
    driver (I just looked). The current version is: 60.071.661.41, and there
    are both PCL6 and PS versions there.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 7, 2007

  3. Make sure you have access to the x64 core files from one of the x64
    installation CDs. The HP driver has a [Needs and Includes] section so you
    will be prompted multiple time for files during installation. You could
    also copy the core files to the same location as each HP driver you need to
    install.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], Jun 7, 2007
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for the pointers Cahrlie, but...

    I verified that I had the correct driver version for our Intel Xeon
    workstations. Just to make sure, I tried both drivers, but the same issue
    persists.

    Regards,

    Stuart

    Guest, Jun 11, 2007
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Are you refrerring to the XP x64 core files? I do have these available, but
    when the installation wizard prompts for NTPrint.inf, it specifcally requests
    it from the Server 2003 x64 installer location - an OS that we don't use.

    Thanks,

    Guest, Jun 11, 2007
  6. the XP x64 drivers are the same ones that shipped on Server 2003 SP1.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], Jun 11, 2007
  7. Guest

    64_bit_help Guest

    I am experiencing this now. I have a brand new HP color printer that doesn't
    install on my brand new XP Pro 64 bit HP workstation. I was duped into
    buying 8 of these and I'm very upset.

    HP has not really helped - just gave me one suggestion that I have not been
    able to implement due to the bs of the procedure to make the new color cp6015
    printer web enabled. I'm stuck right now.

    Feel your pain,

    64_bit_help, Feb 9, 2009
  8. Is there some reason why you don't just go to the HP web
    site and download the needed drivers? They list drivers for
    Windows XP x64.

    What exactly is the problem you're having trying to install
    the drivers?

    Bobby Johnson, Feb 9, 2009
  9. Guest

    stu_derek Guest

    Hi Bobby,

    Please read the prceding thread for info on my situation and waht I tired to
    resolve it.

    In the end, we bought a 64bit server to act as a print server, installed the
    printers natively under 64bit and then added 32 bit drivers for our 32 bit
    clients to download via Point and Print.

    stu_derek, Feb 10, 2009
  10. Apologize for any confusion. My post was directed at
    '64_bit_help' since the post was not too informative.

    Bobby Johnson, Feb 10, 2009
  11. If HP is using a different name for the x64 driver than the 32 bit version
    of the print driver, the driver is not the same.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], Feb 11, 2009