64 bit ODBC and a 32 bit ODBC

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Harrysmithsteven, Jul 15, 2008.

  1. Hey group!

    I'm quite new to this ODBC and would really like it if you could
    clear
    up some of my queries...I apologize if some of the questions seem
    ridiculous...:)))

    Im trying to get my C# .NET application running on a 64 bit machine
    and am facing a few problems.
    The app makes use of an odbc connection and this is where I am
    getting
    confused and I havent been able to get any reliable sources online...

    What is the difference between a 32 bit odbc and a 64 bit odbc
    connection?

    Can a 64 bit Application make use of a 32 bit odbc connection?

    Can a 32 bit Application make use of a 64 bit ODBC connection?

    **Im using SQL server as the database which is 32 bit. And my app is
    compiled as "Any CPU".

    And Ive gotten to know that if we compile the app in "Any CPU"
    configuration it runs as a 64bit app on a 64 bit machine...so my
    question is can my app make use of a 64 bit odbc is it possible? (or
    32 bit odbc?)

    or should i force it to run as 32 bit and make use of a 32bit odbc ?
    whts the difference between the two?

    An advance Thank you for taking the time to help me out!!

    Harrysmithsteven, Jul 15, 2008

  2. I have no experience from working with any of that, but the ODBC is labeled
    as being a 'driver', which in usual terms often mean device drivers. Any
    such thing has to be of the same bitness as the OS itself.

    Some apps are written with driver-like code inside a *.DLL and is equally
    restrictive for the same reason - on top of which you also cannot make
    system calls to *.DLL's of the wrong bitness, even in the event that they
    would not contain any driver-like code at all!

    You can run a 32bit OS on a 64bit capable CPU, and you can run 32bit
    applications on that system and use 32bit drivers and make calls to 32bit
    *.DLL's.

    You can also run a AMD64bit OS on this system and run the same 32bit
    application (does not apply to Itanium) - in which case the rest of the
    named modules will have to be still 32bit. Install a 64bit application and
    these modules will all have to be 64bit.

    I guess this would explain your situation, but others may have more
    exhausting comments?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 15, 2008

  3. Harrysmithsteven

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 15/07/2008 in message
    <>
    I get confused about all the different ways of accessing data but I use
    ADO.NET and it only has 32 bit drivers, so apps have to be compiled as 32
    bit specific, otherwise they fail silently.
    Does your app work if you compile it as x86 rather than x64?

    Jeff Gaines, Jul 15, 2008
  4. Harrysmithsteven

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    I don't think I worded that very well :-(
    I use MSFT Access with ADO.NET so it may be the Access drivers that are 32
    bit.

    Jeff Gaines, Jul 16, 2008
  5. Hi Jeff,
    yes it does work in 'x86' mode....

    Harrysmithsteven, Jul 16, 2008
  6. Harrysmithsteven

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 16/07/2008 in message
    <>
    I would think it's a 32 bit data driver then. The dotnet groups are very
    helpful, there's one called:

    could be worth a try?

    Jeff Gaines, Jul 16, 2008