64 bit drivers don't seen to be getting any more common than a year ago.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by - Bobb -, Sep 18, 2006.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Not whining - just observations:

    I just tried to goto x64 Vista rc1 - driver errors ( or lack thereof)
    and app errors. What 's the latest ? anyone have links ?
    As someone who had XP x64, it sures seems that x64 exists only if the
    user does not have any other hardware/software on the PC.

    I have a pretty stripped down box - ASUS A8n-E with Nvidia Geforce 6200
    PCI-E , a few nics, a WinTV card, an HP DVD/RW and a few CDRW drives .
    WinTV works in x86 RC1 - x64 blows up during install ( no I haven't
    removed the card as I did originally to get Vista Beta2 on there). Nero,
    Norton won't work - fail compatability. I know that it's not exactly a
    Microsoft problem, but Nero and Norton Antivirus aren't exactly RARE
    programs for existing users to have. Any fix on the horizon or do you
    think MS attitude is - for now, do a new install - by then Vista x64
    apps / drivers should be out ? Kinda tough to beta test for the real
    world

    - Bobb -, Sep 18, 2006

  2. Bobb:
    Norton home products have had compatibility problems since x64 came
    out and is incompatible with Vista unless they have a beta version that
    works. I went over to Nod32 when x64 was still in beta and haven't had any
    regrets. Currently PC-cillen has a beta (that's free) that is compatible
    with Vista, also Avast has released a beta that's compatible with Vista.
    Nero 7 isn't compatible with Vista but Nero 6.6 worked through PreRC1 Vista.
    A new version or update with Vista compatibility is supposed to be coming.
    If your WinTV card works with x64 and the drivers are signed, they may work
    with Vista x64. I have a Leadtek TV2000XP expert card that works in x64 with
    unsigned beta drivers but they won't work in Vista x64. Remember that driver
    and software compatibility issues are the responsibility of the manufacturer
    not Microsoft. Microsoft is working with the manufacturers in these areas
    but has to wait for a response from the manufacturer.

    Dennis Pack x64, Vista RC1 x86 & x64, Sep 18, 2006

  3. - Bobb -

    Guest Guest

    Yes you have to forget Nero for the time being but Norton will offer you a
    beta version if you ask them nicely. It is only for 32 bit though. Lots of
    people here seemed to have had trouble with NVIDIA cards & RC1. Oh! and no
    usb devices except keybd and mouse!. Given that you should be OK.

    Good Luck! Colin

    Guest, Sep 18, 2006
  4. - Bobb -

    Zapper Guest

    I have had no problems with my Epson printer, or my external USB hard
    drives.

    Zapper, Sep 19, 2006
  5. - Bobb -

    Guest Guest

    [snip]

    And here are mine after a few days working with XP 64 bit version.

    No 64 bit drivers available for my Samsung laser printer ML-1210.
    Thanks Samsung

    No 64 bit USB drivers for my Garmin Quest GPS receiver so the PC
    doesn't see the Quest when it is attached to the PC.hence no
    maps/routes/waypoints can be up or down loaded to it.
    Thanks a lot www.garmin.com

    No 64 bit drivers for my Logitech Messenger web model V-UM14 web cam.
    Thanks Logitech.

    No 64 bit drivers for my Hauppauge WinTV Nova-USB-t receiver.
    Thanks www.hauppauge.co.uk

    No 64 bit print drivers for Family Tree Maker 16.
    Thanks www.familytreemaker.com

    Musicmatch Jukebox continually crashes and appeared to be quite
    incompatible with XP x64.
    Thanks www.musicmatch.com

    No 64 bit drivers for my Creative Nomad Zen Jukebox Extra. PC doesn't
    see it attached so I can't even use Explorer to drag & drop MP3
    tracks.
    Thank http://uk.europe.creative.com/

    Guest, Sep 19, 2006
  6. - Bobb -

    M. Murcek Guest

    Over on the XP x64 side, we've been watching the sluggish (non-existent)
    pace of 64 bit support from manufacturers. If you absolutely have to have
    some piece of hardware work, consider dual booting into the x86 version of
    Vista to get that support (though, for older hardware, it may not be there,
    either)

    M. Murcek, Sep 19, 2006
  7. - Bobb -

    Guest Guest

    That'a a possibility and I may do that the next time I need to reload
    Windows. In the past I've found dual boot systems a real hassle.
    I think that in the meantime I will keep my old tower and try to find
    a space for it underneath the desk. I will see how I get on with 1
    monitor and an analogue connection to one and a DV to the
    other.presumably I will only be able to use one at a time ;-))

    Guest, Sep 19, 2006
  8. - Bobb -

    Bill Guest

    I've tried playing with the 64-bit version of Vista, but it simply
    won't work with some of my hardware and a lot of my software, so it's
    useless.

    I too am miffed about 64-bit support and the fact that XP-x64 has been
    out over a year and still no support from some of the hardware
    companies. Now that Vista-64 is in beta, there should be more
    development of drivers and compatibility, but so far it still sucks.
    Sounds like you'll have a similar setup to me - I have two computers
    connected to one LCD monitor using both of the digital and analog
    inputs of the monitor, and it works like a charm.

    I just tap an input selector button on the monitor and I can flip back
    and forth at will. The two computers are networked which comes in
    handy for testing purposes, and backups. Originally I had two monitors
    setup, but I just don't really have the need - one 20" widescreen does
    the same for me.

    Bill, Sep 20, 2006
  9. - Bobb -

    Guest Guest

    [snip]
    I will need to check that. I don't see that type of control on the
    monitor but it does have 2 inputs.

    What keyboard/mouse set up will I require with that? Keyboard and
    mouse for each PC?

    Guest, Sep 20, 2006
  10. - Bobb -

    John Barnes Guest

    Seems that most that adore x64 just bit the bullet and replaced their
    hardware and software with supported products or lived without functions
    they had. I use x64 99% of the time, but I did have to replace several
    hardware items and lots of software and still have functions I used to like
    but now live without.
    I think this is the reason that most consumer computers are going to be
    delivered with Vista 86 even though they have 64-bit capability. This is
    not like going from 16 -32 bit. Most computer buyers now are upgrading and
    want to keep their hardware and software and spend the money on the faster
    computer. Most buyers in the old days were newbies to computing and didn't
    have the large investment in hardware and software.
    For the average consumer, they aren't going to have any noticeable advantage
    in 64-bit.

    John Barnes, Sep 20, 2006
  11. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    That was my original point in posting this note. X64 has been around
    quite while and even though we buy the PC, hardly any drivers follow.
    Back in the NT days (!) Microsoft was " not gonna wait for 64bit "
    http://www.alphant.com/articles/SlashersAlphaAnalysis.html and that
    brought us x64 a few years ago. Who other than techies ever heard of it
    ? ( Face it John, if you have x64 you're a techie - and you had to
    downgrade some of your stuff to use it ?? Kinda loses its kick .)

    [ Even though they are not YOUR apps, why write an OS and NOT spend a
    few extra bucks to make it compatible with a lot of the COMMON stuff
    that exists ? ]
    Not now - but we would have 2-3 years ago. We COULD have been a lot
    farther: it's been that way for years. Yeah, I know it's marketing and
    they're job is to make money not friends, but they always need to be
    dragged along.

    Oh by the way did you hear, MS is coming out with a new version of the
    ipod ? THAT's what I mean !
    Only the fact that they got paid to write code for the MAC did we get
    windows. Only because Realplayer existed did they create WMPlayer
    ....Palm Pilots begot Pocket PCs ... They are never the one doing the
    pulling.

    [Hmmm - this IS their webpage ... Flame Off]

    - Bobb -, Sep 20, 2006
  12. - Bobb -

    Fernando Guest

    Once Vista 64 bits hit the market as retail, I think most manufacturers
    will develop x64 drivers side by side with x86 drivers.

    Remember Xp x64 was an upgrade, not retail, so very few people managed
    to install it, so manufacturers didn't bother to release 64 bit drivers,
    but now they need to do that because a lot of people will install Vista
    64. Anyway, the problem will be old hardware, such my Creative SB Live!,
    which I don't expect to replace :-(

    Fernando, Sep 20, 2006
  13. - Bobb -

    Garraelius Guest

    Well, having found this place, it makes me wish I had researched better
    before investing in x64 o/s. I just figured I had spent the money
    upgrading my system to 64 bit, and what was the point running a 32 bit
    o/s on a 64 bit system? How wrong could I be. I have managed to find
    drivers for my Canon iP4000 printer, but nothing for the LiDE60
    Scanner. My ASUS Home theatre system is not supported, My Webcam is not
    supported, Nero won't even install! I have managed to get Avast
    Antivirus, but since I have a paid up subscription to Trend IS14, I am
    really P"%^&*d off that they do not support x64, so I can't even
    re-install. What a let down. If anyone knows where I can get drivers,
    or can explain how to wangle the 32 bit installers to work, I will be
    forever in your debt.

    Garraelius, Oct 23, 2006
  14. - Bobb -

    eric Guest

    Nero Ver 6.6 works for me on my x64. As for A/V, I dumped Symantic
    Corporate (which I got for free through work), and went to Avast!
    Not familar with Canon. HP didn't have x64 drivers for my particular
    model printer, but was able to use x64 drivers for a HP printer
    that was in the same series range. Possible to do the same for
    Canon?
    I bought the x64 for gaming, and graphics. Been very happy.
    We've got Vista up and running at work on a test PC. So far
    all I see is lots of eye candy over the original XP.

    eric, Oct 24, 2006
  15. There is indeed a lot more to Vista than eye-candy versus XP. If all you
    look at is the GUI I can see where you might not think so. Under the hood
    Vista is made up of some pretty new and bold initiatives. You should
    investigate beyond the GUI and look at things like the new network stack,
    the rewrite of VSS and its expanded uses, and so on. Vista is to XP pretty
    much as XP was to Win95.

    Colin Barnhorst, Oct 24, 2006
  16. I was with you right up until you stepped over the line in the last
    sentence. For that statement to ring true XP would have to be crap, which it
    isn't.

    David A. Spicer, Oct 24, 2006
  17. Perhaps, but 95 wasn't just crap in its heyday, largely because we did not
    have anything but NT4 for comparison at the time. Nor is XP crap today but
    may well be viewed that way five years hence (largely due, I suspect, to its
    history of vulnerabilites). "Crap" is relative to what we have for
    comparison and when we make the comparison. All previous editions of
    Windows have been state of the art at release only to turn out later to have
    been crap all along. It's all perceptual.

    Colin Barnhorst, Oct 24, 2006
  18. - Bobb -

    Garraelius Guest

    See below the official response from Canon, Trends was pretty similar,
    guess I will just bite the bullet and look for Hardware that is
    supported, Hey ho its off we go ....to E-bay to sell off my existing
    stuff then.... and then downtown to look for new.
    [image:
    https://self-service.canon-europe.com/ce/pages/docs/gcc_outbound_email_you_can_canon.gif]
    [image:
    https://self-service.canon-europe.com/ce/pages/docs/gcc_outbound_email_i_canon_support_centre.jpg]

    Dear Customer,

    Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding your Canon product.

    Canon will only support its high-end models on Win XP 64 bit. Depending
    on the popularity of the operating system, future drivers will follow.
    Please check the Canon website regularly for any updates.

    Yours sincerely,

    Canon Support Centre

    Should our answer not fully resolve your problem, please feel free to
    either re-submit a new query by clicking '*here*'
    (http://tinyurl.com/y26vtr), or alternatively call our support helpdesk
    at 08705 143 723 Monday to Friday from 9:00AM to 5:30PM stating the 7
    digit reference number in the subject of this email.

    We aim to answer queries as soon as possible. Responses on average take
    2 to 3 business days (or the next working day if submitting on a weekend
    or public holiday).

    '© Copyright 2005' (http://tinyurl.com/y99cv2) | 'Terms and
    Conditions'
    (http://my.canon-europe.com/dispatch/tandc_popup?locale=en_GB)

    Garraelius, Oct 24, 2006
  19. - Bobb -

    your creator Guest

    your comparing windows 95 to XP? XP has more bundle software, more
    security, and additional features that 95 never had. Vista I would say
    is a little early for its released, yes it will be more secure, has
    more features, to me it's just a patched XP, and should be sold to
    those who purchased XP at a lower priced (which would never happen)
    they changed a few key things around a bit (such as the user folder)
    they have also incorporated protected mode. For the most part that's
    all that is different including more bundled software.

    your creator, Oct 24, 2006
  20. - Bobb -

    your creator Guest

    I've had problems with XP 64 also, most 32 bit programs (anti virus)
    and drivers won't work yes the 64 bit processors have the ability to
    handle way more calculations than the 64 bit, but what is the use if
    there is no support? I have not ventured over to Vista 64 bit yet, but
    i am guessing that on its release there will be more support, and XP 64
    will still be widely unsupported.

    your creator, Oct 24, 2006