64 bit computer systems - Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Douglas R. Spindler, May 30, 2005.

  1. Douglas R. Spindler, May 30, 2005

  2. I wouldn't choose a shuttle - personal preference. and your links won't
    resolve for me.

    For performance comparisons, try anandtech.com.

    I don't really track US prices any more, since I live in Canada now. I
    wouldn't buy a 754 pin processor / mobo combination right now, and I'll bet
    that is what that is. (no option to upgrade to dual core, for one thing.)

    In general, Fry's offers you a very good value on a behind the center of the
    curve item in their weekend ads. And if you actually know what you want, and
    go in there with a clear shopping list, their prices overall are usually
    reasonable but not earth shaking.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 30, 2005

  3. Shuttles are more MCE PCs.

    Andre Da Costa, May 30, 2005
  4. OK. But my impression is not terribly flexible and upgradeable? (Don't really
    know MCE -- I'm a TiVo person myself.)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 30, 2005
  5. Well, in the case of an MCE PC, its one you would consider not to be in the
    need of upgrading, since its in the same area of competing with the TiVo.

    Andre Da Costa, May 31, 2005
  6. Both of the CPU's in the ads are socket 754. These are being discontinued by
    AMD. I would get a 939 CPU if I were you.

    Captain Cuspid, May 31, 2005
  7. Thanks,

    Finally somone to answer my question.... Is this a good deal?

    I'm going to pass, which means 64 bit computing is going to have to wait for
    me.

    Has anyone done any real performance comparisons with 32 bi machines?

    Thanks

    Douglas R. Spindler, May 31, 2005
  8. Hi Douglas,

    You must go for a 939 socket. Soon you 'll be able to user a dualcore AMD64
    with this socket.
    Concerning the real performance test, it is difficult because of lack of
    real 64bit applications.
    Word doesn't open faster or slower, it still is a 32bit application.
    My Far Cry 64bit is a lot faster ....
    We'll have to wait for real 64bit applications to make comparisons...

    Cheers

    Christian Hougardy, May 31, 2005
  9. No, he didn't answer your question "Is this a good deal?". The answer is
    that it IS a good deal, the low price is because it's a 754 socket. Older
    technology is always less expensive so.... do you want a "good deal" or do
    you want "cutting edge"? The question should be "Is this a good deal for
    ME?" and only you can answer that.

    David R. Norton MVP, May 31, 2005
  10. You want Real Native 64-bit apps, install Linux and run those bad boys.
    They've had 64-bit apps for YEARS now. BUT, of course, there is a new
    learning curve. But with everything that is worth learning, is time spent
    learning.

    Draco Paladine, May 31, 2005
  11. LOL. You know that most Linux distros only recompile the source files with
    a 64 bit compiler, right? :)

    Wayne Wastier, May 31, 2005
  12. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  13. Mandriva (formerly Mandrake) has a fair distro of x64. It still doesn't do
    AIW cards TV though. http://www.mandriva.com Most Linux users still
    prefer 32bit though. KDE and Gnome were both simply recompiled to work in 64
    bit. If you go to kde.org or gnome.org you will no downloads for 64 bit. It
    is up the individual distros to recompile to 64 bit.

    Wayne

    Wayne Wastier, Jun 1, 2005
  14. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  15. Well, 64 bit computing, while not new, will take a while to catch on. Maybe
    even 3 or 4 weeks. ;o)

    Wayne

    Wayne Wastier, Jun 2, 2005
  16. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 2, 2005
  17. LOL :)

    Wayne Wastier, Jun 2, 2005