    Western Digital Scorpio.

    Thanks

    Teak

    teak, Sep 28, 2007

  2. teak

    Gerard Bok Guest

    Partly.
    1 - You will need a convertor, because laptops use a different
    plug for IDE and power (US $ 10 - 15, I'm told :)
    2 - You will need a mounting convertor. Your desktop accomodates
    3.5" drives, laptop drives are 2.5"
    3 - Laptop drives tend to be 5400 RPM types. Low power
    consumption, low noise. And low speed.

    My 2 cents: a notebook drive is no solution.

    Gerard Bok, Sep 28, 2007

  3. teak

    Tom Benoit Guest

    Tom Benoit, Sep 28, 2007
  4. teak

    Shadow36 Guest

    Can find plenty of smaller hard drives on Ebay.

    Shadow36, Sep 28, 2007
  5. teak

    teak Guest

    Thanks, I am ordering 80 gig, I hope Windows XP works on this My 180
    and 260 are too big for my Mother Board..

    Thanks again

    teak, Sep 28, 2007
  6. You have to buy an IDE adapter to connect a notebook HD to a IDE ribbon
    cable. Make sure you use the 80 wire cable.

    middle_class_warrior, Sep 29, 2007
  7. teak

    Mister Guest

    Why not purchase a HD controller such as the Promise Ultra ATA/100
    controller? These have their own BIOS which will work with pretty
    much any motherboard. I've used many times when the motherboard BIOS
    just will not let a large HD work. Your 180 and 260 GB HD should work
    without any problems.

    Do a search on eBay for Promise IDE

    Mister, Sep 29, 2007
  8. teak

    Bill Eitner Guest

    I second this; a HD controller card is one way to go.
    An overlay program is another possibility. I use both
    in a 2001 vintage machine. It has the 137GB BIOS limit.
    It has a 300GB drive employing an overlay and a 400GB
    drive on a controller card. Both solutions are cheap;
    the overlay is free software available from the drive
    manufacturer site, and a controller card is cheaper
    than another drive; as I remember I paid about $15 for
    the one in this box.

    Bill Eitner, Sep 29, 2007