    I seem to no longer get the little telly screens in my tray (well I do
    sometimes but not always).

    Gumpy

    gumpy, Apr 7, 2004

  2. gumpy

    Palindrome Guest

    Nothing wrong with switching off an external modem. It is quite an
    effective way of dropping carrier detect. Another way is to unplug the
    telephone lead - which also protects the modem and computer from
    lightning strikes on the telephone wires.

    Both connections? Which are? Is this XP? Not Broadband, I assume? All
    your AV stuff up to date? Sure it is dialing your ISP and not a premium
    rate number? Tried de-installing and re-installing the modem? Tried
    deleting and recreating your dialup settings?

    Palindrome, Apr 7, 2004

  3. gumpy

    Scrote Guest

    Scrote, Apr 7, 2004
  4. gumpy

    Millimeter Guest

    Rude, but effective.
    Disconnecting the proper way allows the modem on the other end to exit
    gracefully. :)
    Millimeter

    Millimeter, Apr 7, 2004
  5. gumpy

    gumpy Guest

    Hi thanks for replying- regrettably my modem is a pig and when turned
    off ;like that it has to be reinstalled and rebooted before it will
    work again.
    I have checked against premium lines but I am on BT surftime
    (presently connected at 38.6 hahahahaha)!
    Spybot turned up nothing as did Adaware.
    I can only assume it is either a software or hardware problem.

    System is XP
    56k V92 Cirrus external (absolute pig)
    Dial up not broadband.

    anyone else for anymore?