"550 Relay not permitted - (ACL violation)"

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by Colin, Aug 29, 2004.

  1. Colin

    Colin Guest

    I connect to the Internet using Wanadoo broadband and send mail using the
    Wanadoo SMTP server, but have my own domain, hosted by freeparking.co.uk,
    who automatically forward email addressed to that domain to my Wanadoo
    account. My normal practice when sending emails is to blind copy them to my
    own domain, for filing purposes and as a sort of check that they've been
    sent properly.

    This arrangement has worked perfectly well until yesterday morning, when the
    blind copies to my own domain started bouncing back to me with a "SMTP error
    from remote mailer after end of data: host [my domain] 550 Relay not
    permitted - (ACL violation)" error message. Doesn't happen when I send
    emails to myself at my Wanadoo address - only at my own domain address.

    My understanding is that 'relay not permitted' errors usually result from
    trying to send using ISP A's SMTP server when actually connected to the
    Internet using ISP B - but that clearly isn't the case here. I'm not
    entirely sure whether it's the Wanadoo server or the freeparking server
    which is rejecting my emails but the wording of the error leads me to
    believe that it may well be freeparking's server. Maybe they(now) object to
    the fact that my "From" address and the "To" address both relate to the same
    domain - albeit with different names before the @ sign?

    I've emailed both Wanadoo and freeparking about this. Haven't had more than
    an autoresponse from freeparking yet, but have (this morning) received a
    canned response from Wanadoo telling me how to set up Outlook Express!

    If anybody has any experience of this or understands what's going on, I'd be
    very grateful to hear from them.

    Colin

    Colin, Aug 29, 2004

  2. Colin

    will kemp Guest

    relaying rejection errors happen when a mail server or mail client
    attempts to deliver mail to server "A", but the intended destination is
    server "B" and server "A" is not configured to relay mail for server "B".
    well you're not fully understanding the bounce message in that case, as
    there will be sufficient information in the bounce message to work out
    exactly what's going on. however, bounce messages can sometimes be quite
    bizarrely cryptic!

    if you post the whole of the bounce message - including complete headers
    (which you will probably have to specifically configure your mail reader
    to display) here, i'll try and explain. but you'll have to do it by
    tomorrow (monday) evening, as probably i'll be away from the computer for
    over a week from tuesday morning).

    [freeparking]
    that's very unlikely.

    it's much more likely to be some bodge-up in wanadoo's smtp server config!
    not entirely surprising, as the bounce message should have all the
    information you need. although, of course, if it is wanadoo's fault, it
    could be worth replying to the "how to set up outlook" email with a "how
    to set up sendmail" message! ;-)

    will

    will kemp, Aug 29, 2004

  3. Colin

    Colin Guest

    Will wrote:

    "if you post the whole of the bounce message - including complete headers
    (which you will probably have to specifically configure your mail reader to
    display) here, i'll try and explain. but you'll have to do it by tomorrow
    (monday) evening, as probably i'll be away from the computer for over a week
    from tuesday morning)."

    Here's the bounce message in its entirety - or as much of its entirety as I
    can readily get from Outlook Express - with a few Xs inserted in place of IP
    addresses and names and some "nospam"s also added:

    [Quote begins]

    SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
    host mail.nospamcolinandjenny.org.uk [XX.XX.XX.XX]:
    550 Relay not permitted - (ACL violation)

    From: "Colin XXX" <>
    To: "Lizzie XXX" <>
    Subject: Working Yet?
    Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 15:59:31 +0100

    [Quote ends]

    Not sure if this gives you enough to make sense of what's going on.

    Thanks, anyway, for taking the time to reply.

    Colin

    Colin, Aug 29, 2004
  4. Colin

    MA Guest

    I'm having the same problem, and I use freeparking too, looks like it's a
    problem their end.

    MA, Aug 29, 2004
  5. On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 19:27:25 +0100, "Colin"

    <snip>

    I've just tried sending a mail to
    and it was accepted with no errors. Maybe you managed to hit a
    mis-configured mail server?

    No need to XX out the IP adresses by the way, they're extremely easy
    to find using various network tools.

    Richard Sobey, Aug 29, 2004
  6. Colin

    Colin Guest

    Yes, the email you sent Lizzie arrived without any problems. And I'm now
    finding that I can send emails through the Wanadoo SMTP server to
    nospamcolinandjenny.org.uk and get them delivered back to my underlying
    Wanadoo account quite happily, without having them bounce back to me.

    So the problem appears to have been corrected - although I'm still not sure
    whether it lay with Wanadoo or with the people who host my domain name.

    Thanks for your help.

    Colin

    Colin, Aug 30, 2004
  7. Colin

    Colin Guest

    Thanks Richard. You and the other folk here who were kind enough to take an
    interest in my problem may be interested to know that I've just received a
    response from the people who host my domain, saying:

    "Hi, a problem with one of our mailforwarders over the weekend resulted in
    some mail being bounced with the error message ACL Violation. The faulty
    machine has been replaced and mail is now flowing normally."

    So that was where the problem lay.

    Thanks again.

    Colin

    Colin, Aug 30, 2004