54Mbps Wireless Network or Faster?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tanel Kagan, May 5, 2006.

  1. Tanel Kagan

    Tanel Kagan Guest

    Hello group,

    I'm setting up a wireless network at home, with internet access. We have
    two PCs running with maybe a third to be added soon.

    I understand that for usual day-to-day stuff, including internet access, the
    54Mbps shouldn't cause a "bottleneck" since its as fast if not faster than
    the fastest data transfer speed of the internet connection.

    What about things like multiplayer games though? This is not necessarily
    the biggest factor in choosing a router, but if there is going to be a
    noticeable difference then for the sake of £20 I'm thinking I might as well
    go with a 108/125Mbps wireless router.

    Has anyone experience of multiplayer gaming over a wireless 54Mbps network?
    Have you noticed any considerable lag compared to a wired setup?

    Also, does it matter what the game is, or does the network merely transmit
    co-ordinate/positional data? In other words, could I be faced with a
    situation where (assuming each PC individually can handle the graphics
    processing etc) I can get good results with more "basic" games but lag with
    the latest, graphically rich games?

    Thanks in advance.

    Tanel.

    Tanel Kagan, May 5, 2006

  2. I'm not a gamer, but since it seems so important to you, can't you use a
    cable? Wireless works just fine for me, but if I were that concerned I'd
    hook up some cat5e cables.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 5, 2006