    effort ranting about people instead of the topic! Take some pictures,
    enjoy life. Quit being a newsgroup know it all. Nobody really cares
    about this trivial BS but you.

    John Navas, Jan 23, 2008

  2. Sosumi

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    Yes it started that way, but then quickly changed to where the
    majority of this thread has been about your statements that clearly
    display a lack of understanding of the interaction between focal
    length & subject distance and how this effects perspective.
    We know what Rita meant by the original statement, but this does not
    change the fact that it is an incorrect use of word "zoom". The word
    implies a particular technique with very particular results.... As I
    stated earlier, both zooming and moving your feet are valid
    techniques, but they are mutually exclusive and cannot be interchanged
    while expecting the same results. It's like petrol and diesel, both
    are fuels, but get them mixed up and the desire result of going from A
    to B will not achieved.
    The vast majority of this thread has been to do with lenses.

    Quoting % that you picked out of the air is total BS and does nothing
    to support your argument.

    The only person that you have "shot down" is yourself, as you have
    repeatedly displayed you lack of understanding of the subject. Many
    people have simply tried to explain the matter at hand and before you
    cast the "intolerance" stone, I would suggest that you have a re-read
    of your own threads and the insults that they contain.

    There are and it's a pity that you fail to recognise them.
    Woop Doop!

    Totally given up,
    Rusty

    Good, then maybe we can get a serious discussion underway.

    Hopeful,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Jan 23, 2008

  3. Sosumi

    PixelPix Guest

    If it has nothing to do with photography, then maybe you will have a
    chance.

    PixelPix, Jan 23, 2008
  4. Sosumi

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    If it has nothing to do with photography, then maybe you will have a
    chance.

    Rusty, I thought you had given up?

    Here's a question for you:

    Let's say you've just been given a shot at covering a major news event for a
    big circulation newspaper.

    When you get to the event, your subject is surrounded by an impenetrable
    circle of newshounds, and you can't get past the outer perimeter of the
    group to get a shot.

    You've talked your way into the position, and all you have is an auto-focus
    point-and-shoot camera with which to capture your award winning image. I'll
    give you this much, it's a Canon "A" series camera, or something similar, so
    you have a good lens, manual control should you want to use it, and fairly
    adequate white balance / ISO range. But, a limited flash.

    How can you get a well-framed, properly exposed / focused image that will
    need minimal cropping in order to get your picture on the front page and
    command the big pay cheque?

    Interested,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Jan 23, 2008
  5. Sosumi

    John Navas Guest

    Probably not even then unless he learns how to quote and trim properly,
    and cuts out the insults.

    John Navas, Jan 23, 2008
  6. Sosumi

    tony cooper Guest

    What are "planter's warts"? Plantar warts on the feet of farmers?

    tony cooper, Jan 23, 2008
  7. Sosumi

    PixelPix Guest

    Dudley Hanks wrote:

    [CHOMP]
    Why was I given a shot at covering a major new event for a big
    circulation newspaper, when all I have is a P&S? The news editor
    needs his head read! lol
    Well seeing that I cant get closer, it depends on the shot...... I
    could shoot longer FL to selectively compose minimal elements within
    the frame, or I could shoot wider and go for a more overall view of
    the scene. Both compositions could well be worthy of media release if
    they depict the moment, event, story or editor's "angle" faithfully.

    Depending on the light, I could select a higher ISO to help maximise
    the use of ambient and flash, and this would also help minimise motion
    blur due to camera movement when longer FLs are used. Shooting
    shorter FLs may allow for a lower ISO to be used effectively.

    In the extreme (and if light is very low) I could also "push" beyond
    the camera's correct exposure in order to gain a faster shutter speed,
    knowing full well that some post capture processing will be required
    to lift exposure and minimise noise... knowing the editor and intended
    use of the image would be handy here, as this would allow me to access
    just how far things could be pushed.

    Then of course there is the final option.... and that is despite all
    my best efforts, I still come away empty handed.

    PixelPix, Jan 23, 2008
  8. Sosumi

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    John, I challenge you to use your computer blind-folded, using only the
    audio feedback from a screen-reading device. If you can sort through the
    number of messages I do on these conferences and do a better job cutting,
    pasting, and quoting, then you can lecture me on e-mail format.

    As for insults, I only throw 'em after they've been thrown at me...

    Better check your water heater. I think it's full of cold water...

    Smile,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Jan 23, 2008
  9. Sosumi

    PixelPix Guest

    Oh I forgot my question.....

    The point of this is??

    PixelPix, Jan 23, 2008
  10. Sosumi

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    I told you, you talked your way into the assignment. It's your incredible
    charm that lulled the editor into a sense of confidence in your work.
    Grin...
    How are you going to frame / focus your shot? You won't get it pointing
    your camera through the crowd... And no editor in his right mind (but
    that's already been called into question) will pay for a shot of a group of
    reporters swarming a hunkered down fellow who is undistinguishable from the
    swarming mass...
    But, it would kill your chances if the picture will be printed large and in
    colour... Too much noise... And, as noted, you're about 15 feet from your
    subject so you are just outside the effective Canon range of from 7 to 11 or
    12 feet... Possibly just on the fringe at ISO 1600, but that has already
    been ruled out...

    That's a better idea, you're only about fifteen feet from your subject...
    Just out of flash range... Who else is there and which of their resources
    can you take advantage of?
    It's a point and shoot for God's sake. I doubt you'll be able to get rid of
    the noise. Have you seen test shots of a Canon A570 or A720 when blown up
    big, in colour, and at high ISO? Ugh, not pretty. Noise starts creeping in
    at 200, is becoming pronounced by 400, beyond acceptability at 800, and like
    a blizzard at 1600... Great for shots of Granny and her apples, but you've
    talked yourself into this gig and its all you've got....

    and intended
    I'm the editor for this one. I won't accept much noise... But, I will
    accept a bit of excess room around the edges... The 7 or 8 meg sensor will
    produce some big images. Your picture won't cover the whole front page,
    but, if it's good, it could get a fair number of columnar inches, so you've
    got some room for cropping...

    Your on the right track, you won't have to eat KD.

    Good First Shot, can you do anything different and get the cheque?

    I'm sure you can,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Jan 23, 2008
  11. Sosumi

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    Oh I forgot my question.....

    The point of this is??

    Oh, I don't know, If you pay attention, you might just learn something from
    an old, blind photog who's been around the block a few times.

    Dudley Hanks, Jan 23, 2008
  12. Sosumi

    PixelPix Guest

    You can hypothesize all you want, but it only makes this all the more
    meaningless.

    PixelPix, Jan 23, 2008
  13. Sosumi

    PixelPix Guest

    Just make your point drop the BS.

    PixelPix, Jan 23, 2008
  14. Sosumi

    John Navas Guest

    Also:
    * Quote and trim properly
    * Start a new thread

    John Navas, Jan 23, 2008
  15. Sosumi

    John Navas Guest

    Not with that attitude.

    Learn to trim properly -- your posts get painfully long.
    And configure your Ouchlook Express for proper quoting, or switch to a
    better news client. If you must use Ouchlook Express, check out
    Best not to feed the troll.

    John Navas, Jan 23, 2008
  16. Sosumi

    PixelPix Guest

    Yeah John, I am beginning to think that I am talking to a "sock".

    PixelPix, Jan 23, 2008
  17. Sosumi

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    You can hypothesize all you want, but it only makes this all the more
    meaningless.

    Oh well, you're fired. (Hey, that was fun! I feel just like Donald!)

    How about you, John, want to take on the assignment and show us your stuff?
    I'm sure you can do better.

    Curious,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Jan 23, 2008
  18. Sosumi

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    Just make your point drop the BS.

    I want to see if John will take up the challenge, first.

    Have Patience,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Jan 23, 2008
  19. Sosumi

    John Navas Guest

    Not unless or until you fix your quoting and trimming, and cut out the
    attitude. So you know, I won't be holding my breath.

    John Navas, Jan 23, 2008
  20. Sosumi

    John Navas Guest

    Not unless/until you fix your quoting and trimming, and cut out the
    attitude. So you know, I won't be holding my breath.

    John Navas, Jan 23, 2008