    When we use terms improperly, we only serve to confuse the discussion
    and hinder understanding, a serious disservice to those that aren't
    sufficiently expert to know the difference.

    John Navas, Jan 22, 2008

  2. In other words, you move your dead ass to where the lens or lenses you have
    give you the best perspective. Like it was said, you "zoom with your feet"
    to get the best possible shot.

    Rita

    Rita Berkowitz, Jan 22, 2008

  3. No, John, I'm not insulting you as you have clearly made it apparent to
    everyone that you are more than capable of insulting yourself. I'm just
    pointing out the obvious for those newbies that haven't yet seen that your
    reputation precedes you.
    Sure it does! You quickly learn to work with what you got. If you are
    creative enough you are able to create a decent shot where everyone else
    thought there was none to be had.
    You move back or forth. If you get a creative spark you can move side to
    side.
    Only to the idiots that try to split hairs where there are none.

    Rita

    Rita Berkowitz, Jan 22, 2008
  4. Wrong! Depending on the application it can be called a booster heater or
    tempering tank. Some commercial applications need to boost standard
    120º-140º hot water to 180º for safety and sanitary reasons. Nothing beats
    a kick-ass 480V three-phase booster heater!

    Rita

    Rita Berkowitz, Jan 22, 2008
  5. Sosumi

    John Navas Guest

    Side to side is not zooming. Oops!
    Moving forward gets you and your gear seriously wet. OOPS!
    It's a bitch when your ego is pricked, isn't it? ;)

    John Navas, Jan 22, 2008
  6. Sosumi

    John Navas Guest

    Talk about scrambling -- LOL!

    John Navas, Jan 22, 2008
  7. Sosumi

    John Navas Guest

    In other words, you use the best lens for the image, which a zoom makes
    much more likely.
    Unfortunately, you have his meaning backwards.

    "Danger, Will Robinson!" Endless loop detected. :)

    John Navas, Jan 22, 2008
  8. Sosumi

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    Geez, and this is what it's come to; siding with the infamous Mr. Navas.

    My, my...

    Honestly, I don't know what's so GD hard to understand here. Zooming is
    changing focal length. You can't to it with a fixed focal length no matter
    how much you run around.

    What, has Ken Rockwell taken over the world and infused massive amounts of
    stupidity everywhere?

    Kinon O'Cann, Jan 22, 2008
  9. Sosumi

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    Right. But you still can't zoom with your feet. It's simple, isn't it?

    Kinon O'Cann, Jan 22, 2008
  10. Not at all! It's called being prepared. You bring your Boston Whaler,
    dumbass.

    Rita

    Rita Berkowitz, Jan 22, 2008
  11. Sosumi

    JimKramer Guest

    Got one of those in your house? Delta or Y configuration for the
    elements? What other 3-phase devices do you have installed at home?
    What are you washing that needs to be sanitized so? :) Hmm... Got a
    picture? :) No, never mind. :)

    Typically, I've seen a tempering valve used with a commercial water
    heater to supply domestic hot water if a stand alone domestic water
    heater was not warranted, i.e. a restaurant setting, but not a school
    with a cafeteria.

    I suspect you should look up what a tempering tank really is and then
    I will let you use the term "tepid water heater" when referring to the
    water heater when installed in such situations.

    I always find it interesting to see what people actual do and don't
    know. :)

    Pleasant wishes,
    Jim

    JimKramer, Jan 22, 2008
  12. Sosumi

    John Navas Guest

    Ahhh. Thanks so much. That's so helpful. LOL. You are too funny,
    especially when your ego is pricked. :)

    Oh, and by the way, my local parks dept takes a dim view of boating.

    Oops. again.

    John Navas, Jan 22, 2008
  13. Sosumi

    John Navas Guest

    Especially in the case of Rita. :)

    John Navas, Jan 22, 2008
  14. Sosumi

    John Navas Guest

    It would seem so. :)

    p.s. Truth has no sides. ;)

    John Navas, Jan 22, 2008
  15. Sosumi

    PixelPix Guest

    The subject is everything or anything within your picture and the
    perspective is how they relate to each other..... this relationship is
    governed by where you place you camera. As soon as you move it, the
    relationship changes.

    See above

    PixelPix, Jan 22, 2008
  16. Sosumi

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    Or, maybe it's research?

    If we were all painters, we would be applauded for moving around until we
    finally captured the right perspective. But, because we have cameras and
    prefer to work in pixels (or grains), there is some kind of taboo on moving
    our feet?

    When learning how to do portraits, how many good photographers haven't spent
    a lot of time moving lights around and asking the model to change the
    inclination of the chin, the direction of the eyes, the alignment of the
    shoulders. This was, and still is, done in the search for just the right
    image.

    If it's acceptable in portrature, why not in landscape or documentaries.

    Somewhat Amused,
    Dudley

    All this because a couple of academic types want to dictate the definition
    of the word zoom?

    Dudley Hanks, Jan 22, 2008
  17. Geez! I must have pricked a nerve?
    Haven't been out much? Some food service establishments have strict
    requirements of instantaneous and constant180º water. It's easier and more
    efficient to boost it from 120º-140º than it is from the sub 60º of the cold
    supply.
    It's all perspective and what level of "tempering" is needed for certain
    applications. But if you are thinking of residential tempering tanks of
    yesteryear you are corect.
    I always find it necessary to follow net etiquette and sprinkle in a little
    bullshit with facts so as to stimulate and weed out the idiots. :)

    Rita

    Rita Berkowitz, Jan 22, 2008
  18. This only applies if you have planter's warts. All us people that aren't
    lazy zoom with our feet.

    Rita

    Rita Berkowitz, Jan 22, 2008
  19. Sosumi

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    You guys just aren't getting the point.
    The original post, the OP for those of you who are too lazy to type a few
    extra characters, wasn't about changing focal lengths. It was about looking
    at the world around us from a different perspective. The premise, I
    believe, was that we have all become a little too dependant on our zooms,
    and, if we moved our feet a bit, we might find an equally good, quite
    possibly even better, image than we would have gotten if we would have stood
    there in one spot and only viewed the scene from one point-of-view.

    The original poster, once again the OP for those who want to avoid carple
    tunnel syndrome (was that spelled correctly?), never said the perspective
    was going to be the same. In fact, the whole exercise is to get people to
    try to find good images from the 50mm perspective.

    What is so hard to understand about that?

    Somewhat Amused,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Jan 22, 2008
  20. Sosumi