501 PIX default configuration and browsing (or lack thereof)?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by jim.wray, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. jim.wray

    jim.wray Guest

    I am getting a "The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently
    available" message.

    Is there anything in the default configuration that would prevent
    NETWORK PLACES from displaying a list of workgroup computers by their
    machine name or anything that I need to do to enable such? Any mismatch
    in settings that I might have made between the computers and the 501?

    My SOHO network does not have a DNS or a WINS server if that makes any
    difference - I am using the 501 to assign DHCP addresses to the
    workgroup computers.

    NETWORK PLACES properly displayed the workgroup computers by their
    machine name with the WinGate system I was using prior to switch to the
    501 , but no longer.

    Any help would be most appreciated but please keep in mind you are
    talking to someone who is essentially network illiterate at this point.

    jim.wray, Jan 8, 2006

  2. jim.wray

    glowell Guest

    Jim,
    Maybe PIX is not passing NetBEUI or whatever your PC's are using to
    advertise their names. If you are routing everything via the switch
    ports on back of 501, get a cheap hub/switch instead. Plug your pc's
    into hub where they can broadcast without being filtered and see if it
    works. If it works, then plug the hub into the PIX and you should be
    OK. If it (the hub by itself) doesn't work, then you have other issues
    than the PIX.

    glowell, Jan 10, 2006