500 8 Reflex-Nikkor and Canon mirror lenses - 800/1:3.8, 2000/1:11, 5200/1:14

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Just D, Feb 21, 2007.

  1. Just D

    Just D Guest

    Does anybody have any experience with this one?

    500 8 Reflex-Nikkor.C

    http://images.google.com/imgres?img...r+Reflex+C+500&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1

    http://images.google.com/imgres?img...r+Reflex+C+500&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1

    http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&q=Nikkor+Reflex+500

    I'm just wondering because it's pretty old and I didn't hear that this one
    even exists.

    Also found couple more interesting links.

    http://www.canonfd.com/mirrorlenses/index.html

    This brochure tells about Canon mirror lenses - 800/1:3.8, 2000/1:11,
    5200/1:14. Interesting monsters... Made for a special purpose? Never heard
    that we're having something like that now.

    Just D.

    Just D, Feb 21, 2007

  2. Just D

    Toby Guest

    Apparently not. They were used for the '64 Olympics and could mount either
    Canon SLRs or TV cameras. Did you notice that the 5200mm lens weighed 100
    kg?

    Toby

    Toby, Feb 21, 2007

  3. Just D

    Just D Guest

    "Toby"
    But 100 kg... But 5200*1.5 for digital... But 100 kg... That's wow! All
    current lenses can just relax. :) I guess that mechanically they should be
    very primitive, I'm not even taking about "electronically", the number of
    lines per unit is rather significantly smaller, but these terrible
    numbers... I'm very impressed. Maybe it was not very bad for TV with its
    much lower requirements for the picture?

    Just D.

    Just D, Feb 21, 2007
  4. Just D

    jeff.boone Guest

    I used to have one that I used on my F4. It made for a pretty
    reasonable (read: MUCH less expensive) alternative to a conventional
    500mm lens, and was also quite a bit lighter. But there are always
    trade-offs, and in this case the downside was that the lens sacrificed
    quite a bit of contrast. Whether that was by virtue of the cat design
    or just a case of less than optimal glass in mine, I don't know. But
    many of the pictures it produced were rather "blah" looking due to the
    low contrast, particularly those of more distant subjects (probably at
    least partially due to atmospheric haze).

    In any case I don't have it any more. I doubt that it would even
    mount on my D200 anyway.

    Jeff

    jeff.boone, Feb 21, 2007
  5. It is listed at my www.donferrario.com/ruether/slemn.html
    (note the address change). There are two versions, the "C"
    is the earlier, larger one. I preferred that one, though the
    later compact one focused closer and was good at medium
    distances. The first version was good enough to perform well
    with the Nikon TC14/14B converters for a surprisingly good
    700mm (1050mm equivalent on digital) that is fairly light and
    compact - though it is a slow f11 (but in practice, even slower).

    David Ruether, Feb 21, 2007
  6. I think they are still current, but now only listed for TV use.
    Want to have instant messaging, and chat rooms, and discussion
    groups for your local users or business, you need dbabble!
    -- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dbabble.htm ----

    Paul Repacholi, Feb 22, 2007