5 problems with digicams - solutions/recommendations?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bj, Feb 6, 2006.

  1. bj

    bj Guest

    Hello,

    I've recently had the occasion to take pics with two different digicams, and I've experienced similar notorious problems. As I
    intend to buy one for myself, I'd be very grateful for comments and hints on the following:
    1. blur - I've noticed that digicams (even w/o using zoom) are much more sensitive to movement than trads; which of the models (in
    the list given below) have good picture stabilization, and which not?
    2. distortion - the lenses in some models warp straight lines and planes - again, which models (perhaps there are some with aspheric
    lens)?
    3. lightening - in darker rooms/by night sources of light dominate; I took a pic in the Kyiv underground, and only got neon lights
    on light-brown background - what solutions/models should I seek?
    4. red eyes - notorious; I've heard that the remote-control test is reliable, but you don't always have one at hand -
    recommendations?
    5. red background - in some situations, esp. in rooms, the red diod irradiates the target longer, and then the photo comes out as if
    done through a red filter - how to avoid this?

    Below is a list of models from which I will most probably pick one - please add your comments concerning the above problems, if
    you've had experience with these:

    HP Photosmart M22
    HP Photosmart R817
    Kodak EasyShare C310
    Kodak EasyShare Z700
    Kodak EasyShare Z740
    Kodak EasyShare Z7590
    Nikon Coolpix 4800
    Nikon Coolpix L1
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ1
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2
    Samsung Digimax A55W

    Loads of thanks in advance!

    Greets

    bj

    bj, Feb 6, 2006

  2. bj

    Steve Mackie Guest

    HP Photosmart M22
    I am by no means an expert, but I'd stay away from the HPs. What are the
    reasons Canon is not on your list?

    Steve Mackie, Feb 6, 2006

  3. Some thoughts on some of your issues:

    The blurring problem can be mitigated by optical image stabilizers. I
    think that the two Panasonics are the only ones on that list with
    stabilizers, though there are plenty of models _not_ on the list that do
    have stabilizers.

    Red-eye is a function of the distance between the lens and the flash. To
    minimize it, you want a relatively large body, preferably with a pop-up
    flash. The Kodak 740 is, I believe, the largest of the bunch, so it
    would probably be the best at minimizing red-eye.

    I'm not sure what is going on with your last point. Red illuminators are
    typically used to help the camera focus; they shouldn't be on during the
    exposure itself.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Feb 6, 2006
  4. Red is on a longer wavelength of light so it makes sense it turns up in
    longer exposures:
    http://www.ems.psu.edu/Courses/earth002/03012D.gif

    Tim Chmielewski, Feb 6, 2006
  5. bj

    Tesco News Guest

    Hi.

    1. Blur. Just exactly the same as film cameras, unless of course you are
    acting the Idiot and taking pictures at arms length, using the LCD. Use a
    higher shutter speed or a Tripod, or get one with IS.

    2. Every lens has some degree of distortion.
    If you want minimum lens aberations, be prepared to buy a SLR, and then
    spend a lot of money on prime lenses.

    3. Lightening. I presume you mean Exposure Control. Learn how to Meter,
    and know when to apply Exposure Compensation. Don't blame the Camera if you
    don't know what you are doing.

    4. Red Eye. With small cameras it is inevitable. Use an Off Camera Flash
    which is a reasonable distance from the lens.

    5. Learn about light sources and Colour Balance. Tungsten Lighting is Red,
    any picture taken under that will be Red.

    I suspect that your problem is a lack of understanding of the basic
    principles of photography. Buy a book on How to Take Photographs.

    Roy G

    Tesco News, Feb 6, 2006
  6. bj

    Jon Danniken Guest

    Those particular models, or HP in general?

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Feb 7, 2006
  7. bj

    Steve Mackie Guest

    HP Photosmart M22
    IMO, stay away from all HPs. ;)

    Steve Mackie, Feb 8, 2006
  8. bj

    Jon Danniken Guest

    Okay, but what is your reason for this opinion?

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Feb 9, 2006
  9. bj

    Steve Mackie Guest

    HP Photosmart M22
    Opinions rarely need reasons, but mine is "you get what you pay for."

    Steve

    Steve Mackie, Feb 9, 2006
  10. bj

    Steve Mackie Guest

    Here's sort of a guage to use when deciding which brand to buy (not perfect,
    but good):

    Google Group Search:

    canon group:rec.photo.digital - 524,000 hits
    nikon group:rec.photo.digital - 258,000 hits
    olympus group:rec.photo.digital - 171,000 hits
    sony group:rec.photo.digital - 119,000 hits
    kodak group:rec.photo.digital - 104,000 hits
    fuji group:rec.photo.digital - 70,000 hits
    hp group:rec.photo.digital - 47,400 hits
    minolta group:rec.photo.digital - 38,300 hits
    casio group:rec.photo.digital - 13,200 hits
    pentax group:rec.photo.digital - 9,060 hits
    panasonic group:rec.photo.digital - 7,550 hits
    konica group:rec.photo.digital - 2,400 hits
    benq group:rec.photo.digital - 60 hits

    canon problem group:rec.photo.digital - 23,300 hits (4.4%)
    nikon problem group:rec.photo.digital - 20,300 hits (7.9%)
    olympus problem group:rec.photo.digital - 15,700 hits (9.2%)
    sony problem group:rec.photo.digital - 8,670 hits (7.3%)
    kodak problem group:rec.photo.digital - 12,600 hits (12%)
    fuji problem group:rec.photo.digital - 6,230 hits (8.9%)
    hp problem group:rec.photo.digital - 7,720 hits (16.3%)
    minolta problem group:rec.photo.digital - 4,120 hits (10.8%)
    casio problem group:rec.photo.digital - 1,450 (11%)
    pentax problem group:rec.photo.digital - 812 hits (8.9%)
    panasonic problem group:rec.photo.digital - 737 (9.8%)
    konica problem group:rec.photo.digital - 305 hits (12.7%)
    benq problem group:rec.photo.digital - 6 hits (10%)

    Notice the high percentage of 'hp problem.' ;) However, there are issues
    with this guage. People who buy brands like Kodak, HP, Sony and Fuji are not
    as "enthusiastic" or "tech minded" to come on UseNet to discuss their
    camera. IMO they would be more likely to make a post as a last resort to
    solve some issue they are having. Plus, Canon I believe has the widest
    assortment of cameras on the market, so there is a model for everyone. I
    also believe Canon and Nikon are the two brands enthusiasts prefer, a good
    reason for the high post count.

    Hope that helps. ;) It was kinda fun for me.

    Steve Mackie, Feb 9, 2006
  11. bj

    Jon Danniken Guest

    So then you dislike HP cameras based solely on your personal price rating
    system and not on any specific criteria of their cameras. Ooookay.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Feb 9, 2006
  12. bj

    Steve Mackie Guest

    Opinions rarely need reasons, but mine is "you get what you pay for."
    Never said I dislike HP cameras, I simply said "you get what you pay for,"
    so therefore I recommend you stay away from HP cameras. Perhaps by a camera
    in the same price range from another manufacturer.

    HP cameras also seem to have eluded Steve's Digicams "best" list.

    "You get what you pay for" is far from my "personal price rating system."
    It's common knowledge. That and "if it sounds too good to be true, it
    probably is."

    C'est la vie.

    Steve

    Steve Mackie, Feb 9, 2006
  13. bj

    Jon Danniken Guest

    Completely useless. All you did was search for posts with "hp" and
    "problems". Are these problems with HP cameras? Problems with HP printers?
    Problems with HP rebates? Problems with HP scanners? Problems with the HP
    website? Problems finding the "on" button? Problems downloading a help
    video from HP? Problems with a canon but not an HP camera?

    If you search for "hp problem", *with the quotes*, you only get eight
    results, BTW, two of which reference your "research" above.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Feb 9, 2006
  14. bj

    Jon Danniken Guest

    Your basing your opinion on nothing more than baseless conjecture on your
    part, and on no real data about the cameras themselves. Good luck with
    that.

    Oh, and you really need to learn how to properly attribute your quotes.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Feb 9, 2006
  15. bj

    Steve Mackie Guest

    Your basing your opinion on nothing more than baseless conjecture on your
    Yup. In fact, I've never even held a HP camera in my hand. I don't recall
    seeing them at any of the camera shops around here.
    Not sure what you mean by that, but I'm assuming since you are starting to
    grasp at straws you need to bring in attacks on other subjects.

    Steve

    Steve Mackie, Feb 9, 2006
  16. bj

    Frank ess Guest

    Your "Your" for "You're" ain't that cool, neither.

    Frank ess, Feb 10, 2006
  17. bj

    Jon Danniken Guest

    What's your point, Frank? Butting in just to flame me for bad grammar?

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Feb 10, 2006
  18. bj

    Jon Danniken Guest

    Thank you for clarifying this. I'll remember to take your opinions as
    baseless conjecture on your part in the future.
    Not at all; if that is what you consider to be an attack, you might want to
    grow some thicker skin. I was simply pointing out that you do not
    attribute text you quote, in case you cared about such things.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Feb 10, 2006
  19. bj

    Frank ess Guest

    Read real well, don't we?

    Frank ess, Feb 10, 2006
  20. bj

    Steve Mackie Guest

    Yup. In fact, I've never even held a HP camera in my hand. I don't recall
    I do not run a review website, nor do I work for a reviewing outfit and I
    also do not have the resources to go around testing out every piece of
    equipment on the market today. Opinions were sought, I gave mine, far from
    baseless:
    1. No mention of them on Steve's Digicam 'Best' list.
    2. No where are they to be found in camera shops.

    Moral of the story, when asked for an opinion, don't fight the responses.
    Doesn't matter what the subject is, someone can say "stay away from X, Y and
    Z. Stick with A, B or C." Take it with a grain of salt until a few more
    Don't say, "I don't trust your opinion so I'm going to waste our time
    agrueing over how you formed it." It doesn't really matter if I found it
    taste funny when I licked it so I think it sucks. MY opinion is to stay away
    from HP, if you don't like my opinion, ignore it.
    I thought I do. I truncate to end the million '>' that some threads have.

    Steve Mackie, Feb 10, 2006