5 Good Tips for Taking Kids' Photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by gary_hendricks, Jan 9, 2005.

  1. Hi all

    Just thought I'd share these tips for shooting photos of babies and
    children.

    1. Get them to pose properly
    Easier said than done. Getting children to pose for photos can be
    frustrating and can often result in your children appearing tense.
    Involving a toy or another person for the child to interact with while
    photos are taken often helps child subjects to display a broader range
    of emotions, especially of happiness, which is what you want.

    2. Get down to the level of the child
    Getting down to the level of the child will make them more comfortable
    and give you a better view of their features. If you are outside, wear
    clothes that you won't mind getting dirty so you can kneel down at any
    moment.

    3. Use a camera that you can operate quickly
    Using a camera that you can operate quickly and keeping the photography
    equipment to a minimum also helps you get a great shot before your
    child's attention wanders, as you can be sure they won't hold a
    fleeting pose while you change lenses.

    4. Use a wide angle lens
    Using a wide angle lens can often give a pleasant view of a baby,
    because their body parts are already a bit out of proportion and the
    perspective offered by a wide angle lens will exaggerate this.

    5. Use natural lighting
    Natural lighting coming from a window will also give a more gentle and
    nostalgic feeling to your photographs and will also react better with
    the skin tone of a baby.
    Gary Hendricks
    http://www.basic-digital-photography.com

    gary_hendricks, Jan 9, 2005

  2. gary_hendricks

    Guest Guest

    I find that a few shots of Gin works wonders.
    ( for either photog, or subject ) ;o)

    <rj>

    Guest, Jan 9, 2005

  3. gary_hendricks

    stewy Guest

    You did forget to mention super glue for the terminal fidgets.
    A wooden spoon to keep those brats in line.
    Skin colour paint to strip out those spots, scabs and bruises every kid
    seems to acquire in the course of childhood - but then Photoshop may be able
    to handle that...

    stewy, Jan 22, 2005