5 down 2 to go

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Edward Wallick, Apr 21, 2004.

  1. Hello all,

    I took and passed the 70-219 exam yesterday so I only have 2 more
    exams to complete my MCSE. Upon completion I will have my MCSE, MCP
    and an A+ Cert.

    I have taken courses (not boot camps, as I actually wanted to retain
    what I learned and not just jam the info into my short term memory)
    and have self studied for the exams, built some domains/small networks
    here at home, then torn them down and built them again (and again) to
    try and get some general experience. All together I have been
    working towards this MCSE for 11 months and expect to be done by the
    end of May 2004. But I know this is not going to be considered a
    valid form of experience for a prospective employer.

    I got into this because it's what I love to do and what I want to do
    for a living. I'm not expecting to get rich from this but I do want
    to be able to find good employment so I can begin my career.

    I would like to get some (legitimate) advice regarding getting started
    in an IT career, if you have any recommendations I would appreciate
    hearing them.

    Thanks,
    Ed

    Edward Wallick, Apr 21, 2004

  2. Edward Wallick

    molsonexpert Guest

    Don't be afraid to accept a position that's low pay/entry level, and be
    prepared to re-locate if that's possible in your situation.

    molsonexpert, Apr 21, 2004

  3. Edward Wallick

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    Well congrats. Glad to see you're going about it the right way. That is, no
    dumps, experience with the product, etc. In regards to your "get a job"
    question: while the economy may be on the up and up, it's still not good.
    Gainful employment isn't an easy thing to get, unless you want a McJob.
    Literally. McDonald's is always hiring. My advice to you is accept whatever
    job you're offered, even if it's for pay below what you think you're worth.
    Start at Level 1 help desk if you have to (and believe me, you might have
    to). Work your way up, prove your worth to the company, and in no time,
    you'll be making 85, 90 G's a year. Ok, that's probably not true, but if you
    work your way up, you'll probably be in abetter situation in the long run.

    Ken Briscoe, Apr 21, 2004
  4. Edward Wallick

    Kat Guest

    Congrats on the work so far.

    I wouldn't expect more than a junior admin.helpdesk job. MCSE is almost
    a requirement for those positions now. You need experience.

    See previous posts for more info.

    Kat, Apr 21, 2004
  5. Edward Wallick

    Neil Guest

    (Edward Wallick) wrote in
    oh, crap I hate having to give legitimate advice but here goes. Start at
    the bottom. Jr. helpdesk, hardware repair, whatever you can grab and work
    your way up. expect to be grossly (in you humble opinion) underpaid for a
    while. Work for a VAR (computer resller) if you can as this will give you
    lots of varying expereince. eat sleep and breathe the industry.

    HTH

    Neil, Apr 21, 2004
  6. Edward Wallick

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for the info so far. I appreciate the encouragement and advice. Also, thanks (in advance) to those of you who will feel compelled to answer in the near future.

    Guest, Apr 21, 2004
  7. Edward Wallick

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    you welcome. please come again. you will notice that this little spittle of
    the internet is full of wonderful munchkins that are very willing to help
    all people from all facets of life.

    another satisfied customer. yes, it's a funky thang!

    :)

    Rowdy Yates, MCSE

    Rowdy Yates, Apr 21, 2004
  8. Edward Wallick

    JaR Guest

    Rowdy Yates opined, On 4/21/04 3:57 PM:
    Take your meds, Rowdy.

    JaR, Apr 22, 2004
  9. Edward Wallick

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    hubba bubba 4 x a day.

    ;-)

    Rowdy Yates, MCSE

    Rowdy Yates, Apr 22, 2004
  10. Edward Wallick

    Guest Guest

    All of the posts to your question and statement thus far
    are from a wacked out group calling themselves the mcngp.

    These people know nothing of creative resume creation let
    alone pounding pavement. (Personally, their appearance
    and demeanor would scare anybody off!)

    They are frightened little cretins who are happy that
    anyone would even consider them for employment.

    There is a reason for this as they consider their
    employment options with McDonalds they so love to talk
    about, in every other sentence.

    One look at their website is all you need to make this
    assesment. (They need the $.25 per hit...or so they claim)

    When they are not 24/7 on this newsgroup, it appears they
    send out virus-infected emails to unsuspecting people
    such as yourself.
    They consistently cry, whimper, criticize and blame the
    economy, outsourcing, a saturated IT marketplace, this
    newsgroup, as well as the Iraq War and Gay Men from Outer
    Space and all that is, for their lack of initiative (as
    well as a s host of other dysfunctions) and consequently
    their failures.

    It wouldn't surprise me if some of them have physical
    and/or mental disabilities and this could only be the
    logical reason they blame you.

    You are well on your way to an excellent position as
    systems admin.

    For some amusing postings, see their reply's to this
    one!!!!!

    Guest, Apr 22, 2004
  11. Edward Wallick

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    yes, you sure are well on your way to something interesting.

    ah.. satisfied customers everywhere i look.

    Rowdy Yates, MCSE

    Rowdy Yates, Apr 22, 2004
  12. Edward Wallick

    Jtyc Guest

    For some amusing postings, see their reply's to this

    I have nothing funny to say.

    Jtyc, Apr 22, 2004
  13. Edward Wallick

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    <snip junk>

    Pay no attention to the man behind the anonymous email address.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Apr 22, 2004
  14. Edward Wallick

    JaR Guest

    opined, On 4/21/04 4:30 PM:
    Dolt.

    JaR, Apr 22, 2004
  15. Edward Wallick

    JaR Guest

    Ken Briscoe opined, On 4/21/04 5:05 PM:

    Pssst! Y'know what?

    I don't think it's name really is anonymous.

    Just a hunch.

    JaR, Apr 22, 2004
  16. Edward Wallick

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    you think it's Mr. E? again?

    Rowdy Yates, MCSE

    Rowdy Yates, Apr 22, 2004
  17. Edward Wallick

    JaR Guest

    Rowdy Yates opined, On 4/21/04 5:35 PM:
    If it is, it's back on it's meds, or somebody posted on it's behalf.

    NO CAPS, ****** or !!!!!!, and it only misspelled a couple of words.

    JaR

    JaR, Apr 22, 2004
  18. Well, there's one reply from you, a whacked-out individual.
    That's because we generally get hired on the spot. Who needs a resume? Who
    needs to pound the pavement? Yes, we can be quite intimidating in our
    appearance, but only to those with low self-esteem.
    Get out of my head, man!
    Was that a sentence?
    Hey, Consultant! Did you forget to e-mail us our royalty checks this week?
    Well, Mr. Ed, you seem to be making some progress here. At least now you're
    stating "it appears." You really just can't face reality, can you.
    Yes, that is part of our membership requirement. All members must meet the
    above criteria.
    Actually, I do have a physical handicap, and I blame you.
    You've been cursed by ePox.
    PLEASE CHECK YOUR SPELLING AND GRAMMAR!

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Apr 22, 2004
  19. Edward Wallick

    Neil Guest

    on the spot? pfft! last 2 positions I've held I was recruited into. I don't
    go to people. people come to me...(Ego! 'tis the MCNGP way...)

    Neil, Apr 22, 2004
  20. Edward Wallick

    Kat Guest

    I don't know about you, But I'm Hot. And getting into medical school.

    i win!

    Kat, Apr 22, 2004