    than 2x but in my VHS world that doesn't make any sense to me...

    Thanks in Advance!

    Ron

    Ron in Houston TX, Dec 4, 2003

  2. Ron in Houston TX

    Skid Guest

    The owner's manual should tell you the specs of the burner in your Sony.

    A faster drive and media allow you to burn DVDs faster -- if it takes 15
    minutes at 4X it will take 30 minutes at 2X.

    You can use 2X discs on a 4X drive or 2X discs on a 4X drive, but you will
    burn at the slower speed in either case. The only way to get 4X burns is if
    both the drive and disc are capable of the higher speed.

    It's generally best to buy a small batch of discs until you've tested them
    for compatibility at full-speed in both your burner and players. When you
    find a brand that works consistently, you can save money buying in bulk.

    Skid, Dec 4, 2003

  3. Skid:

    Thank you so much for your help! I still can't find the info I'm
    looking for in my owner's manual but your reply made things so much
    clearer.

    There is just another thing I don't understand. Suppose I record a
    live TV program on a 2x DVD+RW disc and then try to duplicate it on a
    4x DVD+R blank disc. Could I still take advantage of the 4x speed even
    if the other disc is 2x?

    Would the quality of the duplicate be the same? The DVD disc I want to
    copy was made at home so I don't see how DVD X Copy Platinum is
    necessary...

    Thanks Again!

    Ron

    Ron in Houston TX, Dec 5, 2003
  4. Ron in Houston TX

    Padre Guest

    Ron,

    You'll have to read the 2x DVD+RW to your hard disk (I suggest as an ISO
    file), then write it back out. You can write it back out at 4x, if you have
    the right media (and your PC can sustain the performance level needed).

    Yup, the quality will be identical. DVDXCopy is only needed if you want to
    make a copy of a commercial DVD (rental, owned, etc.) that has been
    encrypted. For non-encrypted or home made DVDs, you can just read the source
    to an image on your hard disk, then write it back out (as long as it's about
    4.3gb).

    Kevin

    Padre, Dec 7, 2003
  5. Ron in Houston TX

    Gil Guest

    Or as on my Viao preinstalled with Drag n drop you can make a back up
    copy in 20 minutes of an unencrypted DVD(R)

    Gil, Dec 7, 2003
  6. On my VIAO if I want to make copy with drag and drop, I should format the
    disk first as a data disk; But it cannot be red on usual DVD stand alone
    players (with some exceptions as Phonotrend 2800 player ..)

    Jacques Ciana, Dec 9, 2003
  7. Ron in Houston TX

    Kevin Guest

    I think that is because it may not be designating the disk as a
    DVD-Video format, rather a DVD-ROM format, which most DVD standalone
    players won't recognize.

    Kevin, Dec 10, 2003