4gb 150x SD card !

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jogiba, Sep 16, 2005.

  1. jogiba

    jogiba Guest

    jogiba, Sep 16, 2005

  2. jogiba

    dylan Guest

    dylan, Sep 16, 2005

  3. Allan & Glennis Sheppard, Sep 16, 2005
  4. jogiba

    jogiba Guest

    I would back up my images every so often on my Epson P-2000 before I
    would fill up a 4GB+ memory card.

    jogiba, Sep 16, 2005
  5. jogiba

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Zipzoomfly.com sells that 8gb card for about $650. It's still past
    the sweet spot: I bought a 4gb cf card from them for something like
    $210 a month or so ago.

    The new iPod Nano is $249 retail with 4GB of internal flash. Apple
    supposedly negotiated a huge price cut from its flash supplier based
    on the increased volume. That will certainly make itself felt in
    other areas so I think we'll see 4GB CF cards under $150 within a few
    months.

    Paul Rubin, Sep 17, 2005
  6. jogiba

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ron Hunter, Sep 17, 2005
  7. jogiba

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Sep 17, 2005
  8. jogiba

    grumpy Guest

    grumpy, Sep 17, 2005
  9. jogiba

    SleeperMan Guest

    is that 16 GBIT or GByte? IF bit, it's only about 2 Gbyte...old news...

    SleeperMan, Sep 17, 2005
  10. jogiba

    Bill Funk Guest

    They won't replace hard drives anytime soon. Far too expensive.
    What's happening now, though, is hybrid drives. Hard drives with a few
    gigs of flash RAM; this allows the flash RAM to hold data until the
    computer's idle or there's enough data to need transferring to the
    drive proper. This allows the drive to spin down, saving power. In
    laptops, this can extend battery life significantly.

    Bill Funk, Sep 17, 2005
  11. jogiba

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Not much of an investment...

    Alfred Molon, Sep 17, 2005
  12. jogiba

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Well, you would need also several GB of RAM, to make sure that there is
    no page swapping.

    Alfred Molon, Sep 17, 2005
  13. jogiba

    Bill Funk Guest

    Bill Funk, Sep 17, 2005
  14. jogiba

    Father Kodak Guest

    Are you sure it's flash RAM and not regular, volatile RAM? I thought
    (I may be wrong) that flash RAM has a "relatively" low specification
    for write-cycles. Also, I think that the read-write cycle times for
    flash are way too slow, compared with the burst transfer rate of
    modern disk drives.

    As an aside, I've always been fascinated by the specifications of
    "solid-state" disk drives. No track-to-track time or rotational
    latency. Just a really, really high cost per MB.

    Father Kodak, Sep 17, 2005
  15. jogiba

    Bill Funk Guest

    You may be right about the type of RAM.

    Bill Funk, Sep 18, 2005
  16. jogiba

    ASAAR Guest

    Flash RAM would be the worst type of memory to use. It's not only
    slower than regular memory, but (depending on the app. used) the
    same region of disk space/flash memory could be rewritten a huge
    number of times in a short period. Write to the same region often
    enough and Flash RAM breaks down. My camera's manual even mentions
    that the Flash memory may wear out (though I doubt that it will with
    the number of pictures I take). The number of times that writing to
    the same memory area will cause the memory to fail is high enough to
    be of little concern when Flash RAM is used in a camera. But that
    wouldn't be the case when it is used as a hard drive's buffer.

    ASAAR, Sep 18, 2005
  17. jogiba

    Kitt Guest

    I'm still wondering why anybody wants one that big unless you're
    shooting RAW + JPEG using a 12 mpxl camera. I get over 300 large/fine
    JPEG's on my 1 gig CF at 6 mpxl and I get nervous at that. What if I
    lose or damage the card? What if it fails and all my shots are lost?
    Just multiplying by 4 tells me I'd have near 1400 shots on a 4gig card
    when full. The most I've ever shot in a day is around 400. On top of
    that, four 1's are cheaper than one 4. I just don't get it. Am I
    missing something?

    Kitt, Sep 18, 2005
  18. jogiba

    ASAAR Guest

    There's always something that can be a cause for concern. Whether
    it's a realistic cause varies widely. While taking pictures, a
    thief could make off with your camera bag containing your other
    three 1GB flash cards loaded with unsaved images. What if the cards
    don't fail but the camera dies just before you had planned to take
    pictures on a "photo vacation"? Most non-pros wouldn't have spare,
    backup cameras on hand. Unless you know the failure rate of flash
    cards (compared to cameras, theft, heart attacks), worrying about a
    4GB card may unjustified. Just a few years ago many people used the
    same arguments to avoid 128MB and 256MB cards. Today their 32MB and
    64MB cards don't get used very often. If a 1GB card is more than
    adequate for you, fine. Use that. You don't need a larger card
    even if some other people would. But if one card isn't sufficient
    and you'll be buying a second or third, it may be more practical to
    buy a 2GB or 4GB card. Unlike you, some people worry about possible
    damage or loss that might occur when they change cards in the
    camera. So they get a large card and never remove it, not even to
    put it in a card reader. As I said before, there are many things
    you could worry about. Choose your poison. But are they realistic
    concerns?

    ASAAR, Sep 18, 2005
  19. jogiba

    Mike H Guest

    I was talking to a "parttime pro" about CF cards a couple of weeks ago. (I had
    recently gotten a 2GB card for my 20D). He made an interesting comment. When he
    does a wedding, he uses a bunch of 256 MB cards instead of one or two big capacity
    cards... Reason is that if a card goes bad (and that has happened to both him and
    me) he won't lose everything... Losing all or most of the pictures for a wedding
    would be a "bad thing" losing 10 - 20% of the photos would be bad, but not nearly
    the disaster as losing them all... I don't do that kind of pro work, and if I lose
    a card's worth, it's not a big deal for me (and I love the 2 GB card!)

    Mike

    Mike H, Sep 18, 2005
  20. jogiba

    Alfred Molon Guest

    If a card goes bad, you can still recover the images with a recovery
    utility. If all images have the same size (i.e. if you shoot exclusively
    RAW), it's even easier to recover everything. Just do an image of the
    card, find the start of the first RAW, then split the image (using a
    flie splitting utility) into chunks the size of the RAW image.

    Alfred Molon, Sep 18, 2005