    but they either never answer ('you are being held in a queue') or the guy
    that does answer is a dipshit and doesn't know anything about anything.
    Thanks for any advice.

    tg, May 12, 2014

  2. mm. a bit more reading seems to show that it is conceived as an
    asymmetric service from the get go.

    So the answer is a definitive no.

    --
    Ineptocracy

    diminishing number of producers.

    The Natural Philosopher, May 12, 2014

  3. tg

    NY Guest

    If you can get 20 Mbps (or even a few Mbps, like ADSL) from mobile
    broadband, then you are VERY VERY lucky. I would kill for a mobile service
    round here which was even vaguely usable - eg consistently 1 Mbps down / 0.5
    Mbps up. Even in the centre of market towns and the surrounding housing
    estates, it is rare to get the "G" light on my phone, indicating 3G.

    You'd think that trunk A roads would have reasonable internet and mobile
    reception, but no, it's very patchy for both.

    I really wish mobile phone companies, preferably out of choice, but failing
    that out of compulsion, would improve the baseline coverage to give mobile
    phone and 1 Mbps down / 0.5 Mbps up internet for all built-up areas (ie
    streets without houses on, in or on the outskirts of towns and villages).
    Only when they have brought everyone up to that minimum standard should they
    considering giving people in large towns and cities an even faster,
    ADSL/VDSL-equivalent service. And that 4G should be in addition to any
    existing service - I've heard of cases in cities where people with phones
    that can only manage 3G get a worse service afterwards because 3G is turned
    off when 4G is turned on.

    NY, May 12, 2014
  4. tg

    Andy Burns Guest

    In short it varies. Best I've had is 37.1Mbps down 14.8Mbps up

    Coverage is also variable, but existence or non existence of 3G is not a
    good guide to 4G coverage, e.g. at home 3G was not worth bothering with,
    I left my last phone on 2G mode unless I knew I was in a good 3G area,
    now with a 4G phone and zero or one bar of 4G I can get 11Mbps download.

    Andy Burns, May 12, 2014
  5. tg

    tg Guest

    ok so it would seem 4G upload is half the download, which is something to go
    on. I'm uploading an rtsp stream so would need a minimum of 4Mbps upload
    which means I 'might' be safe. Thanks.

    tg, May 12, 2014
  6. I think the 4G spec goes up to about 16Mbps and download in excess of
    100Mbps.

    Nothing is guaranteed. Best efforts.

    In a sense the 4G space is the congested channel; as you share it with
    as many other users as are attached to whatever node you are using.

    Also, the distance from the transmitter dictates the SNR and hence the
    final bit rate for device can ultimately sustain.

    The Natural Philosopher, May 13, 2014
  7. It is asymmetric AFAICR. Up to 50Mbps down, but less up. Due to double in
    future.

    It was the same for 3G which was ~14M4bps down, but about half that up.

    The main reason AIUI (in 3G) is that the basestation is in charge of its own
    transmission and knows exactly when it can transmit, but the mobile stations
    could be some distance from the base station and need to have a guard period
    so they don't stamp over the next transmission. This also results in the
    (normal 3G) range limit of 35km

    R. Mark Clayton, May 13, 2014
  8. Looking at my speedtest history, the best I've had is 35.51Mbps down and
    22.38Mbps up. With good 4G reception, my upload is frequently 'better'
    than that of my 80/20 FTTC lines at home.

    Plusnet Support Team, May 20, 2014
  9. tg

    Andy Burns Guest

    I recently "beat" my previous 4G score ... 49.9Mbps down, 17.3Mbps up.

    Andy Burns, May 20, 2014
  10. tg

    Graham. Guest

    My Blackberry on Vodafone displays
    GSM
    gprs
    GPRS
    EDGE
    3G

    I wonder why there are two types of GPRS?

    Graham., May 22, 2014
  11. "Graham." wrote

    The gprs chap didn't want to pay Capital Gains Taxes

    Michael R N Dolbear, May 22, 2014
  12. An Android phone will display the following (I use 2.5G/3.5G crudely):

    E - GPRS (2G)
    G - CDMA (2.5G)
    3G - UMTS (3G)
    H - HSDPA (3.5G)
    4G - LTE (4G)

    The two GPRS's you see will probably equate to the first two of those.

    Plusnet Support Team, May 23, 2014
  13. There is no 2G CDMA in the UK.
    Though 3G uses a kind of CDMA modulation (and maybe 4G - I don't know).

    G stands for GSM - 2G.
    E stands for EDGE and this is kind of 2.5G.

    Brian Gregory, May 25, 2014
  14. Whereabouts are you?

    Here (near Reading in Berkshire) I find some companies have seemed to
    give low priority to providing good mobile internet but others are better.

    I'm using Three at the moment and mostly get close to the equivalent of
    a longish ADSL connection from 3G on Three in urban and suburban areas.
    That is between 1M and 8M download and between 250k and 2M up.

    Brian Gregory, May 25, 2014
  15. I thought 35km was for 2G and the limit for 3G was 2km.

    IIRC 3G was originally 384k down and 384k up and it's only extensions to
    the original standard (like HSPA) that allow more.

    Brian Gregory, May 25, 2014
  16. tg

    NY Guest

    In North Yorkshire, between Malton and York, and 1/4 mile from the A64.

    I normally get no mobile broadband or else E or G. 3 (ie 3G) is very rare
    around the Malton/Pickering/Sheriff Hutton area. Even when I do get it,
    speedtest.net gives speeds of around 0.02 Mbps - ie half the speed of
    dial-up internet. Even in York city centre where 3G is more common, I've
    never had over 0.1 Mbps. This is on Android.

    If I find a location in Google Maps and set it as a destination while I
    still have wifi, then I can usually get turn-by-turn directions from home to
    that place on mobile internet in the car, but there's no hope of getting
    return directions back home or to somewhere else from the first destination
    using mobile internet.

    NY, May 25, 2014
  17. tg

    Adrian C Guest

    Lower case just means the phone sees a useable phone service, but no
    blackberry specific services are available.

    Adrian C, May 25, 2014
  18. Which mobile company/ies?

    Brian Gregory, May 25, 2014
  19. tg