    (40mbps) whereas ADSL (the only othr broadband tech available to us)
    delivers a paltry 3.5mbps

    Have done some googling but looking for recommendations also.

    Jeremy, Oct 25, 2014

  2. Jeremy

    NY Guest

    Whereabouts do you live that you can get usable data rates from mobile
    broadband? My experience of it is that my Samsung Galaxy phone gets 2G at
    best in most places (and often no phone or data coverage at all) and even
    with 3G I only get a few hundred kilobits/sec.

    I live in a village about half a mile from a trunk road from York to
    Scarborough, and even in towns such as Malton, Pickering and Scarborough I'm
    lucky if I get 3G. In the centre of Leeds, with a strong voice signal (as
    shown by the five-bars scale) and 3G, the Speedtest app only gets about 150
    kb/sec. In 2G areas I'm lucky to get 20 kb/sec - much worse even than
    dial-up broadband.

    40 Mb/sec sounds like the stuff of dreams, myths and fairy stories :)

    I wish mobile phone companies, either by choice or by compulsion, would
    devote their efforts on making sure that everyone/everywhere can get at
    least 3G and something like 1 Mbps, instead of spending their money
    improving the speed in areas which already have usable mobile broadband.

    NY, Oct 25, 2014

  3. But that would involve a lot of digging roads up and laying cables to
    reach areas not yet served by existing ones. Real work, in other
    words. It would require a lot of organisation and a lot of permissions
    to be sought. This is something that public service organisations used
    to do in the days when we had public service organisations. Now we
    just have lots of businesses that blame each other when things don't
    work. If you're a business, it's much cheaper to see how much you can
    squeeze down the infrastructure that's already there, and see how much
    more you can charge for it.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Oct 25, 2014
  4. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    This is on a business park in Basingstoke. Which to our surprise is not
    serviced by any high speed internet services.

    Jeremy, Oct 25, 2014
  5. Jeremy

    Mark Carver Guest

    Well, I live in Basingstoke, and the town is covered with a 4G signal
    by EE, (my phone tells me so !) I think Vodafone and O2 have caught up
    with them too, but I don't know how you go about getting a proper
    service provisioned for a building ?

    Mark Carver, Oct 25, 2014
  6. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    We're on Kingsland busines park; the guys in the office with 4g phones
    can get blistering performance so assumed that we'd just need a suitable
    acces point device & a sim card on a suitable plan. Nothing specific for
    the building I don't believe is reqired. Of course I could be missing
    something.

    Jeremy, Oct 25, 2014
  7. Jeremy

    Andy Burns Guest

    I find it's fairly easily achievable with 4G, my best is 49.91Mbps down

    Andy Burns, Oct 25, 2014
  8. Jeremy

    Woody Guest

    Ah, that brings back memories of Electronics Times.

    "Basingford, wonder science city of the south."

    Woody, Oct 25, 2014
  9. Jeremy

    NY Guest

    What sort of performance should be achievable in practice (ie not
    theoretical lab figures) for 2G and 3G? I'm wondering whether part of my
    abysmal data rates may be due to my phone rather than just a poor signal.

    While the lucky buggers in towns and on industrial estates get 4G and those
    sort of rates, everyone else in rural areas (*) has to make do with mobile
    broadband that is virtually unusable. The gap between the haves and the
    have-nots is very large.

    It's not essential: I can manage without mobile data as long as I search for
    a route to a client's house in Android's Maps application while I'm still at
    home and can use wifi; all I need to make sure is that I remember my way
    there because I may not be able to search for the route back home if there's
    no mobile coverage at the client's house ;-)

    (*) And I mean places with small towns and large villages every few miles in
    reasonably flat countryside, not sparsely-populated places like the upper
    Yorkshire Dales or the Highlands of Scotland which may also have a lot of
    hills/mountains in the way.

    NY, Oct 25, 2014
  10. Jeremy

    Paul Herber Guest

    I call it Basingrad

    Paul Herber, Oct 25, 2014
  11. Jeremy

    Andy Burns Guest

    I've only got one result from my previous phone (all earlier ones have
    been flushed from history) of 8.7Mbps down, 2.7Mbps up, which is better
    than I get from home on ADSL. that might have been dual channel HSPA+

    Theory says a lot faster than that, but I never found it maatched
    practice, unlike with 4G which seems to live up to the hype - how well
    it will continue when every man and his dog is using it, who knows?
    Actually I find 4G does better with the tiniest sniff of signal than 3G
    often used to, I used to turn 3G off on my last phone unless I knew I
    was in a good signal area (neither home or work counted) now home gets
    passable 4G and work excellent - still plenty of cities without 4G yet
    though, let alone towns and villages.

    Andy Burns, Oct 25, 2014
  12. Jeremy

    Mark Carver Guest

    Oh indeed, technically yes, no problem, it's just how to get a
    reasonable deal from the networks, or even get the script monkeys
    on the phone or in the stores to understand your requirement.

    It was bad enough when I went round the networks looking for a single
    user business tariff for myself. 'Eh, You want to occasionally make
    foreign calls AND use your phone abroad ?' It was bloody hard work !

    Mark Carver, Oct 25, 2014
  13. Jeremy

    Rodney Pont Guest

    You can get these things called road maps you know, no need for a
    signal with them :)
    If you want more technology get a Tom-Tom.

    Rodney Pont, Oct 25, 2014
  14. IBM ers used to call it Boringstoke, so I was told.!

    brightside S9, Oct 26, 2014
  15. Jeremy

    NY Guest

    It's a shame that Nokia never ported their Ovi Maps sat nav software onto
    Android because that was great: it could be used *offlne* because you
    initially installed maps of the whole country and then never needed a mobile
    signal again for navigating. I haven't found a 100% offline (huge initial
    install from wifi, then no further ongoing download ever needed after that)
    sat nav package for Android - at least not one which allows a free trial to
    make sure it meets your needs and that the voice doesn't make you want to
    strangle the speaker.

    A paper map (or even an online OS map, such as provided by Viewranger) is
    fine... as long as you've got a passenger to use it to say "turn left in 100
    yards". Helps if said passenger doesn't start feeling car sick, something
    which I can't directly comprehend because I've never experienced it myself.

    NY, Oct 26, 2014
  16. Jeremy

    Mark Carver Guest

    Yawn

    It's a modern town, with every amenity you could wish for, proper
    road infrastructure, and very low crime and unemployment.

    No it doesn't have cobbled streets, a cathedral, or a river, but
    it's never claimed to have.

    But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

    Mark Carver, Oct 26, 2014
  17. Jeremy

    Andy Burns Guest

    Isn't Here Maps the successor of Ovi? It claims to allow download for
    offline use ...

    <http://here.com/beta/android/?lang=en-GB>

    Andy Burns, Oct 26, 2014
  18. Jeremy

    NY Guest

    That seems to be exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

    The download of the whole UK is about 680 MB which takes a fair time to
    download onto my phone (longer than 680 MB would take onto my Windows PC, so
    maybe their server is throttled).

    It allows you to search by place name or by postcode - without having to go
    online to do a postcode search. Brilliant!

    I'll be giving it a good trial over the next few days. One thing I want to
    test is how it reacts if you stray off the route that it has already worked
    out (eg because you miss a turning or because you turn round to avoid an
    accident) - I wonder if it can recalculate an alternative route?

    NY, Oct 26, 2014