45 GB HD-DVD hits back at Blu-ray !!!!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by R500 Xenon, May 10, 2005.

  1. R500 Xenon

    R500 Xenon Guest

    Blu-Ray wins? HD-DVD camp caves in? NEVER!!

    http://home.businesswire.com/portal...d=news_view&newsId=20050510005572&newsLang=en

    Toshiba Unveils 45GB HD DVD-ROM Disc and Double-Sided Hybrid Disc; Further
    Expands Horizon of Future Digital Home Entertainment

    TOKYO & LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 10, 2005--Toshiba Corporation today
    announced development of a triple-layer HD DVD-ROM (read-only) disc with a
    data capacity of 45 gigabytes, 50% more than the 30-gigabyte dual-layer HD
    DVD-ROM disc already announced and enough to record twelve hours of
    high-definition movies on a single disc. The new disc adds a high-end option
    to the previous HD DVD-ROM disc lineup that includes the 15GB (single-layer,
    single-sided) and 30GB (dual-layer, single-sided). These two discs are
    already approved and standardized at the DVD Forum.

    Toshiba also announced a double-sided, dual-layer hybrid ROM disc comprised
    of dual-layer HD DVD-ROM side and dual-layer DVD-ROM side. The hybrid disc
    can store 30GB of high-definition content on the HD DVD-ROM side and 8.5GB
    of standard-definition content on the DVD-ROM dual layer side. More than 84
    million DVD players and recorders were produced worldwide in 2004 alone. The
    standard definition content of the new hybrid discs can be replayed on these
    platforms, while their owners will also be able to enjoy high-definition
    content from the same source when they purchase HD DVD players in the
    future. The new disc further prepares the way for a smooth transition from
    DVD to HD DVD.

    Details of these new discs will be presented at the May 11 HD DVD workshop
    at Media-Tech Expo 2005 in Las Vegas, U.S., the leading annual trade show
    for the optical disc manufacturing industry.

    All these new versions of HD DVD-ROM discs share the same disc structure as
    previously announced HD DVD formats, and today's DVD format: two 0.6-mm
    thick discs bonded back-to-back, a time-tested physical structure with
    proven volume manufacturing capability at little cost increment.

    Memory-Tech Corporation, Japan's largest independent disc replicator, has
    confirmed the new 45GB and hybrid discs can be produced on their existing
    manufacturing lines and equipment, which are tailored to produce HD DVD
    discs, with only minor additional investment and minimum additional
    production cost per disc.

    Mr. Shiroharu Kawasaki, President and CEO, Memory-Tech, said: "These new HD
    DVD discs will surely be welcomed by content holders, including Hollywood
    studios and game developers, as further broadening the scope of future
    applications. We have already started verification for volume production of
    triple-layered discs, and we are confident of early verification as they are
    based on the 0.6mm disc structure and established production technologies.
    We at Memory-Tech are fully committed to flexibly meeting variety of user
    requirements."

    NEC Corporation and SANYO Electric Co., Ltd., both strong supporters of the
    HD DVD format also welcomed this announcement. "We are excited by the new
    discs and the way they further extend the possibilities of the HD DVD
    format," said Mr. Hiroshi Gokan, Executive General Manager of Computers
    Storage Products Operations Unit at NEC. SANYO's Dr. Keiichi Yodoshi, Deputy
    General Manager of R&D Headquarters said, "The new discs demonstrate that
    0.6mm discs can support diverse applications and achieve technical
    excellence, while fully securing firm backward compatibility."

    Technical features

    1) Triple-layer 45GB disc

    The newly developed ROM disc has a single-sided, triple-layer structure (see
    attachment). Each layer stores 15 gigabytes of information. Triple-layer
    discs can be easily produced by back-to-back bonding of a 0.6mm-thick
    dual-layer disc and a single-layer 0.6mm disc.

    In the process, a single-layer disc is first produced, using the same
    process as for HD DVD-ROM. Next, the second layer is formed on first layer
    using a one-time polycarbonate stamper, the same process used for the DVD-18
    disc, the double-sided DVD disc that has dual-layers on both sides. Finally,
    the single-layer 0.6mm disc is bonded to the dual-layer disc, using standard
    technology.

    2) Double-sided, Dual-layer Hybrid Disc

    In December 2004, Toshiba and Memory-Tech announced development of a
    single-sided, dual-layer HD DVD-ROM/DVD-ROM hybrid disc. The DVD layer had a
    4.7GB capacity, meeting the specification for current DVD discs, while the
    HD DVD layer had a 15GB capacity.

    Now Toshiba has developed a double-sided, dual-layer HD DVD-ROM/DVD-ROM
    hybrid disc. Simply explained, the new hybrid disc bonds together a 0.6mm
    thick dual-layer HD DVD-ROM disc with 30GB capacity, and a 0.6-mm thick
    dual-layer DVD-ROM disc with an 8.5GB capacity (see attachment).

    The dual-layer DVD-ROM disc structure is well established. The new disc has
    a structure as simple as that of current dual-layer DVD-ROM discs. Today,
    more than fifty percent of DVD-ROM discs on the market are dual-layer
    versions.

    The new disc brings the clear benefit of satisfying consumers, retailers,
    disc producers and Hollywood studios. It allows consumers to view DVD
    content on standard DVD players and, after purchasing an HD DVD player, to
    enjoy high definition content on the HD DVD layer from the same disc. The
    new disc structure also increases options for content providers: they can
    provide the same content in two formats, or use the HD DVD layer for a
    feature movie and the DVD layer to store promotional videos or audio
    content, including the movie sound track. Retailers can also promote HD DVD
    hardware as well as maintaining standard DVD sales.

    _____

    http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/05/10/hddvd/index.php

    Toshiba expands HD-DVD capacity to 45GB
    By Martyn Williams, IDG News Service

    Toshiba Corp. has developed a prototype HD-DVD disc that increases the
    format's storage capacity by 50 percent and brings it much closer to that of
    the rival Blu-ray Disc, the company said Tuesday.

    The new disc has a capacity of 45GB, which is just under the 50GB offered by
    a dual-layer Blu-ray Disc, and will give content producers additional space
    to store longer high-definition movies or extras such as trailers, out-takes
    or interactive features.

    Toshiba accomplished the capacity jump by adding an extra data storage layer
    to the disc. Each HD-DVD layer has a capacity of 15GB and the new disc packs
    three such layers.

    The company also announced a second prototype disc that uses the same basic
    technology. The hybrid disc combines a dual-layer HD-DVD with a dual-layer
    DVD to provide a double-sided disc that can be played in either HD-DVD or
    DVD players. The disc could be used as a transitional format enabling
    consumers to buy discs for use in DVD players while building up a library of
    high-definition content for the time when they purchase an HD-DVD player.

    More details of the two discs will be announced on Wednesday at the
    Media-Tech Expo 2005 exhibition in Las Vegas.

    The announcement could give Toshiba a boost in ongoing talks with Blu-ray
    Disc-supporters Sony Corp. and Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. Ltd.
    (Panasonic) regarding a single, unified high-definition video disc standard.

    The talks began earlier this year and are aimed at heading off what many
    expect will be a damaging format battle that will harm both consumers and
    the consumer electronics and entertainment industries.

    The current state of the talks is unknown. However, a report in the Tuesday
    morning edition of the Nihon Keizai Shimbun business daily said an agreement
    between the two sides could come as soon as next week. It reported that
    Toshiba, Sony and Panasonic are discussing using Toshiba's software
    technology and the Blu-ray Disc structure, the latter because of its greater
    storage capacity.

    Toshiba reacted fast to the report and said "absolutely no decision has been
    made for unification on any basis" and called the report's claims "unfounded
    and erroneous."

    Whatever the eventual outcome of the talks, time is running out for both
    sides.

    The HD-DVD group said in January that it plans to have players and content
    available in U.S. stores in the last quarter of this year, and the first
    machine to support prerecorded Blu-ray Disc is expected to be announced next
    week, when Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. shows off a prototype of its
    next-generation PlayStation 3. The console and other Blu-ray Disc players
    aren't expected to be commercially available until 2006.

    _____

    Universal Studios Home Entertainment Endorses New HD DVD Discs
    Tuesday May 10, 11:15 am ET

    UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif., May 10 /PRNewswire/ -- Universal Studios Home
    Entertainment (USHE) today announced its endorsement of two new types of HD
    DVD ROM (read-only) discs, which were announced today by Toshiba
    Corporation.

    Toshiba has just announced a triple-layered, 45GB disc, and a double-sided,
    double-layer hybrid ROM disc that can store 30GB of high-definition content
    on one side and 8.5GB of standard-definition content on the other.

    The new discs reinforce an already powerful next-generation HD solution that
    offers a potent combination of proven cost efficiency, superior performance
    and large storage capacity. In line with the launch of HD DVD players on the
    market, USHE will release a number of selected titles in the HD DVD format
    sometime in the fourth quarter.

    HD DVD, the next-generation DVD, already has established two types of ROM
    disc: a 15GB version (single-layer, single sided) and a 30GB disc
    (double-layer, single-sided.) Both of these disc formats have been approved
    and standardized by the DVD Forum.

    "This impressive hybrid technology breakthrough by Toshiba allows consumers
    the unique experience of purchasing one disc that will play both on the new
    HD DVD player as well as on their current DVD device," said Craig Kornblau,
    President, Universal Studios Home Entertainment. "The addition of the new
    versions to the HD DVD disc line up will allow USHE to further broaden its
    market potential by providing a wider variety of HD content for future
    generations of consumers as well as encouraging current DVD owners to
    transition to the HD format."

    R500 Xenon, May 10, 2005

  2. <snip>

    Umm... and blu-ray is still bigger??? I dont get it? It was just
    announced that Sony and Toshiba came to an agreement on Sony's terms
    (which was expected) and now this? Toshiba is retarded, and will find
    itself not making any money in the end.

    Brenden D. Chase, May 10, 2005

  3. R500 Xenon

    BigJim Guest

    all the bull shit but what is the cost?

    BigJim, May 10, 2005
  4. R500 Xenon

    Alpha Guest

    No, it turns out Toshiba had an ace-in-the-hole, and Sony is running scared.

    Alpha, May 10, 2005
  5. R500 Xenon

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    (nice use of top-posting, bud)

    Cost of player? Realistically the players should cost much more than what
    we have now, since only the actual laser mechanism would need to change.
    But you know that they'll charge you the "New Tech" tax, meaning we'll see
    vastly over-priced players aimmed at the high end, then a "breakthrough"
    at Christmas for $500, with the price dropping constantly after that.

    Even then, why not just wait a year (or better yet, two) and buy a 2nd
    gen-player for $200. It's not like there's going to be new content
    released on these discs...at least not immediatly.

    Doug Jacobs, May 10, 2005
  6. R500 Xenon

    Impmon Guest

    [snip]

    So flippies would be back? Wouldn't it be more convenient to have
    separate standard and HD DVD in the same package?

    Impmon, May 11, 2005
  7. R500 Xenon

    poldy Guest

    It would cost the same as that sandwiched hybrid disc.

    Plus, unless they sell those hybrid discs for the same price as a
    regular DVD, there's no advantage in helping HD-DVD adoption. In other
    words, they'd be giving away HD-DVD movies. But why would studios help
    Toshiba win the format war by giving it away?

    poldy, May 11, 2005
  8. R500 Xenon

    Daniel G. Guest

    I was always told top posting doesnt make sense with the flow of
    conversation? so should you be complimenting it? Usually when I see it top
    posters get flamed, or told not to do it.

    Daniel G., May 11, 2005
  9. R500 Xenon

    Alpha Guest

    It was sarcasm, bud :)

    In any case, I think the top posting slam is much ado about almost nothing,
    myself.

    Alpha, May 11, 2005
  10. R500 Xenon

    Alpha Guest

    What? Take a course in logic.

    Alpha, May 11, 2005
  11. R500 Xenon

    Daniel G. Guest

    I prefer top posting over bottom posting, I only bottom post because I dont
    want to get flamed, to me it is easier to read the conversation if I dont
    have to scroll through crap I've already read, If I come into the
    conversation later I can scroll to read what I've missed.

    Daniel G., May 11, 2005
  12. If you, and others, used the mouse to highlight and cut, removing those
    parts of a thread that aren't being responded to, you wouldn't have to
    scroll. Quoting 150 lines to add one or two lines of comment is worse
    than top posting, IMHO.

    Matthew L. Martin, May 11, 2005
  13. Actually it was irony!

    Mike O'Sullivan, May 11, 2005
  14. R500 Xenon

    chrisv Guest

    Umm.... It's pretty obvious that Doug was being sarcastic, and that
    "BigJim" is an idiot who quoted over 200 lines so that he could add
    one line of comment.

    chrisv, May 11, 2005
  15. R500 Xenon

    chrisv Guest

    Really? Did you have to scroll a lot to read this?

    Sheesh.

    chrisv, May 11, 2005
  16. R500 Xenon

    Arno Wagner Guest

    And once again, we will get two inferiour 'standards' instead of one
    that works everywhere. This level of unfettered corporate greed
    is one of the reason the world is in its present state...

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, May 11, 2005
  17. R500 Xenon

    Billy Joe Guest

    In ref:

    I'll bite. Other than spelling, what's the difference? In my
    dictionary, "irony" and "sarcasm" are synonyms.

    BJ

    Billy Joe, May 11, 2005
  18. R500 Xenon

    wse Guest

    Sure beats standards by government fiat, comrade.

    wse, May 11, 2005
  19. My tattered dictionary defines irony as "An expression intended to
    convey the opposite to the literal meaning", although admittedly it also
    says "Subtle SARCASM in which the apparent praise really conveys
    disapprobation"

    Sarcasm however is defined thusly - "A bitter, taunting, IRONICAL, or
    wounding remark"

    Go figure!

    Mike O'Sullivan, May 11, 2005
  20. R500 Xenon

    Billy Joe Guest

    In ref:

    Oh, I get it! You were being ironically sarcastic ;-0)

    BJ

    Billy Joe, May 11, 2005