    Outlook Express 6, eternal-september.

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Nov 26, 2012

  2. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Every message has 'header lines' some of which may be visible to you and
    some might not. I suspect that the "References" line may be the one that
    is too long. When you reply to a message it appends the reference to the
    message that you are replying to to the "References" line, so the line
    just grows in length. I don't know what you can do about this as I don't
    use OE. There may be a setting in OE to handle this.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 26, 2012

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Thank you. I'm totally baffled.

    I think I'll resend the message and see what happens. Perhaps if I rewrite
    it it might work.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Nov 26, 2012
  4. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Tried it twice, no luck . Then I thought of cutting out a lot of letters and
    numbers etc about google.
    (Like your bit in blue, "news 50b2d etc.")

    Surprise! That fixed it!
    So now I think I know what a Header line is. But I may be wrong!

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Nov 26, 2012
  5. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Yes. Like I said though, there are some that OE doesn't show you,

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 26, 2012
  6. Try message and if there is a little arrow in the bottom right corner of
    the "options" group, click that. Shows headers in outlook ... but I don't
    know about OE. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 27, 2012
  7. Geopelia

    Mike Dee Guest

    A single post can contain several "headers". They
    are generally lines of info for the receiving server when you post.
    Such as the "Subject", "Newsgroups", "References", "Xref", etc.
    Some of these headers may not be visible to you in general use.
    Very long headers can be in the "References" header, for example.

    I think that this post from Eternal-September's owner/maintainer
    gives the best description for your 441 Header Line too long error
    message:

    <http://groups.google.com/group/alt.free.newsservers/msg/c1772ab205d19df3>

    Much of it may be a "bit wordy", I suspect. I'll quote some points
    from his post:

    "
    * What does a "441 header too long" error mean? I'm using
    * Eternal-September and never got this error before.

    It means that the length of a single header line in your post
    exceeds the allowed maximum of 998 characters.
    [...]
    * Where is the header that's too long located?

    Most probably in your newsreader's outbox. You might want to check
    it for a stuck article containing a corrupted header line.

    * Can someone explain this so I can keep using this NSP? All I get
    * these past few days is the same error when trying to post.

    It is my assumption that the problem is caused by a single corrupt
    posting in your outbox that your newsreader tries to repost every
    time you post a new article. That means that other articles should
    get posted, while you still receive the "411 Header line too long"
    for the broken article.
    "

    HTH

    Mike Dee, Nov 27, 2012
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Thank you.
    I had a look at that website, but it's too advanced for me.

    I fixed it by deleting the string of letters and numbers in blue, at the
    top. I've no idea how to explain that in technical language, but I'll do it
    again if it happens again.

    I keep getting a message to change to Google Chrome. Should I do that
    please?
    Google Groups changed a few years ago, and I found the new version too hard
    to use.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Nov 27, 2012
  9. I keep getting a message to change to Google Chrome. Should I do that
    please?[/QUOTE]

    Google would like you to. :) But if you are happy with what you are using as
    a browser, then there's no reason to change.

    Google groups is the question. The answer is no. :)
    I tried to use them/it for a couple of days a year or so back, but compared
    to actual news groups with a "real" news reader (even OE), it was so bad I
    preferred no news. :) :)

    Too much formatting and rubbish and not enough signal. The long 'header'
    line you saw was almost certainly a text interpretation of a nasty google
    groups header.

    Good to hear all is now well.

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 27, 2012
  10. Geopelia

    Mike Dee Guest

    That was a coincidence, I believe. As what you refer to there is the
    "Who wrote" info (of whom you are replying to) quoted in the body
    text of the post you are sending. Its not a posts header info that
    gets sent to the server before the article is delivered.

    But, whatever was causing the bottleneck, it seems to have vanished
    for you. So that's a good thing.
    I'm assuming that you have a Google search bar in your browser? If
    so, I guess that it is trying to get you to use its browser, if you
    aren't already using Chrome.

    If you're happy with your current browser, you can stick with what
    you like.

    A lot of people do use Google's Chrome now. I have to confess that
    I've only tried it on a friends computer running XP and it did seem
    very fast compared to the Seamonkey browser I currently use (I don't
    have a Google Search bar either so I don't get those kinds of nags).

    It is possible to install Chrome (just to try it for yourself) and
    keep your current browser, in case you'd rather stay with what you
    know... I'm a poor advocate tho' as I don't run it, myself.
    Yes, Google Groups is the pits. I use it only infrequently when
    accessing/searching for posts that have been made months to years
    back, to newsgroups who's posts have long since vanished from news
    servers.

    Mike Dee, Nov 27, 2012
  11. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Is that the one that goes Search Images Maps etc?

    I use Google all the time and find it very good.

    It has all my posts right from when I started using the groups. Hundreds of
    them by now.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Nov 27, 2012
  12. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    "Very good" compared to what? How many other search engines have you
    tried (reasonably recently)?

    Dave Doe, Nov 27, 2012
  13. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I haven't heard of any others except Chrome. Wasn't there something called
    two cows once? I never used it.

    Geopelia, Nov 27, 2012
  14. I haven't heard of any others except Chrome. Wasn't there something called
    two cows once? I never used it.[/QUOTE]

    Chrome is a browser (like IE, firefox, opera etc).

    Google is (well was :) ) a search engine. Assuming you are using IE, there's
    probably a little magnifying glass/arrow in the top left. If you click on
    that you will see a whole bunch of others. This is my current favourite ...

    https://duckduckgo.com/

    IMO, it handles privacy better and is where google should be for that.
    It has some failings (I can't see how many results I get ... but to be fair,
    while interesting, that's often not useful). :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 28, 2012
  15. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    There isn't anything like a magnifying glass/arrow on my version of Google.

    I always clear History anyway. If I want to keep anything I put it in
    Favourites.

    Geopelia, Nov 28, 2012
  16. There isn't anything like a magnifying glass/arrow on my version of Google.

    I always clear History anyway. If I want to keep anything I put it in
    Favourites.[/QUOTE]

    Try view/toolbars and tick them all to see the icon in question I think. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 29, 2012
  17. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    That didn't work. It just shows Standard buttons (ticked), formatting bar,
    and customize.
    I've got Outlook Express 6. Perhaps that is too old.

    But I'm happy with Google for looking things up, though not for their
    Groups.

    Geopelia, Nov 29, 2012