    98se anyway. Is something wrong with my drive? Something obvious that I'm
    forgetting? Put a new board in and everything is a-ok except the hd.
    thanks for any insight.

    terry, May 17, 2004

  2. terry

    HF Guest

    Look at www.computerhope.com and also go to the website of your drive mfrs
    and download the drive instal software. Also stop 'thinling'

    HF, May 17, 2004

  3. terry

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    You need at least one partition to run DOS, 95, 98, SE, ME, NT3.x, NT4.x,
    Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Longhorn, Linux (any
    flavor), Unix, MacOS, and so forth.

    DeMoN LaG, May 17, 2004
  4. terry

    Stuart Guest

    Is the BIOS recognising it as a 40gig drive or not? What size does fdisk
    read drive as? If it is the former then you will have to check the BIOS
    settings for your hard drive and make sure Win98SE is updated fully too.
    If it is the latter then you need to understand fdisk and partitions.
    All drives have one partition i.e. c drive then some people have more
    than one i.e. c and d or c,d,e,f.

    Also you didn't mention how old the machine is and what make the
    motherboard is.

    Stuart

    Stuart, May 17, 2004
  5. terry

    Plato Guest

    Weird.

    Plato, May 18, 2004
  6. terry

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    You haven't mentioned what motherboard/CPU combo you are installing this
    into. Are you using FAT32 or FAT16?

    Oldus Fartus, May 18, 2004

  7. Also, when the motherboard auto-detects the hard drive, what capacity
    does it list for the drive? Does it tell you the number of heads,
    cylinders, and sectors per track? From that, you can tell if the BIOS
    is even recognizing the entire 40 Gb.

    Scott Gardner

    Scott Gardner, May 18, 2004
  8. terry

    Maybird Guest

    For old PC, such as old kind of Pentium board, 20G only detected as 2GB.

    Maybird, May 19, 2004
  9. terry

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    This is true. However, there should be no reason for a board to detect a
    drive as 5.7 GB. There is no 5.7GB limit with a BIOS (usually has limited
    at 2GB, 8.4GB, and 137GB), or software (FAT16 can only handle 4x2GB
    partitions), but not 5.7GB

    DeMoN LaG, May 19, 2004
  10. terry

    Plato Guest

    30 gig is a tough one. If you put in a 30 or higher your pc, assuming it
    has a bios limit, usually does not see it at all, or perhaps, just cant
    tell what it is and gives you that really odd 5.7 or whatever

    Plato, May 19, 2004
  11. terry

    IAN GARDNER Guest

    Good point. If the BIOS doesn`t see it all then Windows will never see it in
    a million years.

    A computer is like an upsidedown triangle. Everything is ballencing and
    comes through the BIOS which is at the bottom. If it carn`t see it then
    Windows will never.

    IAN GARDNER, May 21, 2004
  12. terry

    IAN GARDNER Guest

    What if the number of cylinders is set wrong and not on auto. Then it might
    be reconised as a 5.7gig

    IAN GARDNER, May 21, 2004