403 Forbidden: You were denied access because: Access denied by access control list

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Southern Kiwi, Mar 16, 2006.

  1. Not my 'puter, fixing for friend
    Dell Laptop gets the message in the subject line when connecting.......
    I can still get emails (OE)
    XP, IE 6

    No web pages load, can't update virus scanner/spybot or Adaware

    Tried deleting the dialup connection and recreating.
    Tried creating another user with Admin rights.
    Tried restoring to a time before problem.
    I have uninstalled Kaazza, and got rid of the lurgies I could with adaware
    (with old definitions)

    I suspect she created the problem when she downloaded Kazza (don't go
    there...:-()

    Thoughts?

    --
    -- Cheers
    Southern Kiwi

    Southern Kiwi, Mar 16, 2006

  2. Southern Kiwi

    krazy Bob Guest

    Use firefox perhaps?

    i had same problems when trying to connect to my router using IE. i got the
    404 or 403 error.

    used firefox got it working.
    Try this

    Open IE, go to tools> internet options> security tab> click custom level or
    medium level what ever you have it at, then when have security settings,
    scroll right down to the page where you should have user authentication. i
    had mine set on anonymous logon. and i got the 403 404 error, i changed it
    to automatic logon only within intranet zone and it workd for me.

    KB

    krazy Bob, Mar 16, 2006

  3. Southern Kiwi

    Invisible Guest

    LSPfix might do the trick:

    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    Also, linked for that page is:
    http://members.shaw.ca/techcd/WinsockXPFix.exe - Winsock repair utility designed
    for Windows XP

    MS site says to create a new ISP connection!
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316699

    Invisible, Mar 16, 2006
  4. Thanks for the suggestion Bob, but afraid it did not work.
    Can't really use Firefox as the owner is a Microslave

    Cheers
    Paul

    Southern Kiwi, Mar 16, 2006
  5. Southern Kiwi, Mar 16, 2006
  6. Does it say which server's access control list is denying access?

    Sounds like a proxy server.

    Is there anything in the proxy server settings. They're in Tools /
    Internet Options / Connections somewhere. Look under LAN settings and
    maybe under the settings for the Dial-Up connection.. if there's any
    proxy stuff enabled, turn it off.

    Kristofer Clayton, Mar 18, 2006
  7. I have since found the problem.
    The owner of the computer is with Slingshot and paying her account will
    alleviate the problem (hehe)
    It would have been nice if Slingshot had re directed her to a page with a
    message saying as much.....

    Southern Kiwi, Mar 19, 2006