403 Forbidden: Access denied by access control list (SOLUTION)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by triffid, Feb 24, 2006.

  1. triffid

    triffid Guest

    Hi,

    I'm posting a possible solution to the above problem in the hope that
    it will be helpful to others via web/Usenet search engines:-

    PROBLEM:
    You've just changed/upgraded your ISP or Internet service.

    When you try to access a web page, you get the following message:-
    : 403 Forbidden
    : You were denied access because:
    : Access denied by access control list.

    This may happen in different browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox). You
    might still be able to access facilities such as email, FTP and ping,
    but you can't use the web.

    ONE POSSIBLE CAUSE:
    Your browser(s) is set up to use a "proxy" (inbetween) server for the
    web. Instead of fetching the web page directly, your computer asks the
    proxy server to fetch it on your behalf (or to return a cached copy).

    Unfortunately, because (e.g.) you're now connecting via a new ISP, the
    proxy server belonging to your old ISP says "You're not one of my
    customers", and gives you the above error message.

    POSSIBLE SOLUTION:
    Go into each browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari) that you
    are having the problem with.

    Change the proxy settings so that either:-
    - You do not use a proxy server, or
    - You are using the correct proxy servers for your new ISP

    In Internet Explorer 6, select Tools-->Internet Options; go to the
    Connections tab, and click the "LAN Settings" button. Select (or
    deselect) proxy server settings as appropriate.

    In Firefox, go to Tools-->Options; select "General" and then
    "Connection Settings".

    - Triffid

    triffid, Feb 24, 2006

  2. triffid

    Plato Guest

    Oddly, my kid was doing some testing with proxy servers to test a "your
    ip is" page and set up a proxy server in NS 7.X. Oddly, even if I used
    IE or Firefox it'd still be using the proxy server. In other words, the
    proxy server was just setup on NS, but ALL my browsers started using it.
    Perhaps that's normal. It was just a suprise to me.

    Plato, Feb 24, 2006

  3. triffid

    triffid Guest

    In my case, both did it because (IIRC) the IE settings had been
    imported into Firefox when it was installed.

    - Triffid

    triffid, Feb 25, 2006