4006 SUP III locks up

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Flemming Haurum, Nov 1, 2003.

  1. Hi group.

    I have a very serious problem.

    I have a 4006 with the supervisor engine III (WS-X4014) that is VTP server.

    When I connect a 2950C-24 switch to the 4006, makes the connection between
    the switches a trunk, and then create the 2950 as a VTP client the 4006
    locks up when I tries to do the "write memory" on the 4006 switch.

    The commands I use to configure the 2950 as a VTP client is:

    vlan database

    vtp client

    vtp domain <domain name> password <domain password>

    vtp v2-mode

    exit

    The 4006 switch logs the following "%SW_VLAN-4-VTP_USER_NOTIFICATION: VTP
    protocol user notification: Version 1 device detected on Fa3/13 after grace
    period has ended" when I configured the 2950 switch as a VTP client.

    When I execute the "write memory" command on the 4006 switch the message on
    the console is "Building configuration" but the command newer exits.

    After 2-3 minutes I can not ping the 4006 and the telnet sessions dies. The
    switch continues to switch and route packets.

    After 5 hours there was a number of syslogs
    "%C4K_LINECARDMGMTPROTOCOL-4-INITIALTIMEOUTWARNING: Astro 2-6(Fa2/41-48) -
    management request timed out.". One line for every 8 switch ports.

    Then repeating after every 10 minutes there was this syslog for every 8
    switch ports - "%C4K_LINECARDMGMTPROTOCOL-4-ONGOINGTIMEOUTWARNING: Astro
    2-6(Fa2/41-48) - consecutive management requests timed out.".

    The switch stopped switching packages and had to be rebooted.

    I have reported this error to Cisco TAC but have not yet received any
    answer.

    As my customer takes this very seriously and so do I, I hope that someone
    has some good advises.

    The SW on the 4006 is 12.1(19)EW.

    Any suggestions and help will be appreciated.

    Flemming Haurum, Nov 1, 2003