4 Gb Microdrive for £229 or $300

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by T Strong, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. T Strong

    T Strong Guest

    Cannot claim the original credit for this, see

    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24082

    which includes further references and credits.

    But apparently the Creative Muvo MP3 Player uses a Hitachi 4GB Microdrive
    (the Microdrive alone retails for about $500 in US).

    It is understood that Apple Mini Ipod for release in April 2004 also
    includes a similar drive and prices quoted are $249 and £199

    The Muvo can be taken apart and the Microdrive formatted in Digital Camera
    as a Microdrive. The Muvo apparently is more suitable to be reassembled with
    a smaller drive/card than the Mini Ipod if you want to use the MP3 player.

    Now 4 Gb would be approximately 600 RAW files on my 10D!!!

    Proves how overpriced Microdrives currently are!!

    T Strong, Jan 15, 2004

  2. T Strong

    PTRAVEL Guest

    Wow! Thanks for sharing this. Your URL references this URL which provides
    the "instructions" (really nothing more than, unscrew the case, unplug the
    drive, stick it in your camera and format it):

    http://www.andymack.com/mylog/

    PTRAVEL, Jan 15, 2004

  3. T Strong

    Paul Rubin Guest

    I don't know about the Muvo but the Mini Ipod does NOT use a
    microdrive that can be put into a digital camera. It uses a tiny disk
    drive but that drive is embedded into the player electronics. It's
    not in a CF card with a controller. The drive cost is reduced by not
    including any of controller electronics. Those duties are instead
    offloaded into the Mini Ipod's own built-in computer, eliminating some
    duplication of function. It's conceivable, and even likely, that
    someone could design a digicam to use a similar drive, but it would
    have to be a newly designed digicam specifically intended to use the
    new drive. The drive won't drop into an existing digicam without
    needing to surround it with support circuitry that would basically
    make it as expensive as an existing CF microdrive.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 15, 2004
  4. T Strong

    Guest Guest

    what is your source for this claim?

    at last week's macworld expo in san francisco, members of the ipod team
    told me it *is* a hitachi microdrive.

    also see:
    <http://news.com.com/2100-1041-5136124.html>

    Guest, Jan 15, 2004
  5. T Strong

    T Strong Guest

    Apparently there is a debate as to whether the Muvo version used to extract
    the Microdrive might be a "pre production model" and that the "retail model"
    will have the "microdrive" soldered in place and cannot be removed.

    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=7285066

    Raining on parade indeed!!

    T Strong, Jan 15, 2004
  6. T Strong

    David Chien Guest

    David Chien, Jan 15, 2004
  7. T Strong

    David Chien Guest

    Confirmed: 4GB Microdrive in direct purchase Muvo2 from Creative Labs.
    Jan 14, 2004 at 11:17 PM
    Re: 4GB Microdrive for 10D

    http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=3&subcategory=20&product=8980

    ____________________________
    Ray Soemarsono
    www.pbase.com/zeroscan

    Re: 4GB Microdrive for 10D

    Hello!

    Can you confirm that the Muvo2 you bought/received is a normal retail
    version, and not a pre-production version? If you bought it from a
    retailer, do you mind stating which one? There are some people saying
    that the full production versions will not have removable microdrives.

    Thank you for your post and your followup!

    Re: 4GB Microdrive for 10D

    Yep, I bought the US Retail version from the link I posted above your
    message (direct from Creative.com) and I bought it just last week. Your
    mileage may vary.

    David Chien, Jan 15, 2004
  8. T Strong

    Tumbleweed Guest

    It probably will now :)

    Tumbleweed, Jan 15, 2004
  9. T Strong

    4sevens Guest

    What is your source? Is this your guess or do you have inside info or
    did you actually pull apart the mini ipod?

    4sevens, Jan 16, 2004
  10. T Strong

    Paul Rubin Guest

    It's from a slashdot thread of a week or two ago. However, it may be
    wrong. The controllerless disk drives are a real product that there's
    also been several slashdot threads about, and someone linked the two
    of them together.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 16, 2004