    fine
    Even my canon 430EZ doesn't work with the EOS 10D. Why can't they be
    compatible like the lenses?

    peter, Jul 14, 2003

  2. peter

    Mark B. Guest

    The EZ flashes don't support E-TTL, which is what Canon digitals use. You
    need a Canon -EX flash. The Sigma EF-500 DG Super also supports Canon
    E-TTL, and a lot of folks have reported good results with the Metz 54MZ3.
    There are 3rd party flashes with independent auto modes that should work as
    well, but you need to be careful with trigger voltages. Check out the info
    at http://www.botzilla.com/photo/g1strobe.html. The page talks primarily
    about the Powershot G1, but it applies to Canon digital SLRs as well.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jul 14, 2003

  3. peter

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Canon doesn't make any profit when you continue to use an old flash :)

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Jul 14, 2003
  4. peter

    Mark M Guest

    If you are concerned that your flash will not be compatable after a bit,
    then the worst thing you could likely do would be to go with a third party
    unit. I really think you should stick Canon in this case. One thing I can
    tell you with the 10D is that they have pulled a MAJOR rabbit out of a hat
    when it comes to fixing the flash metering woes of the D30/D60. If cost is
    the deciding factor, go with the 420EX. If not, then the 550 is the clear
    winner. Google a bit for all the details.

    Canon has committed to the EX series, and after seeing how much it's
    implementation has improved with the 10D's meter/flash combo, I doubt very
    much they will have need to change it any time soon.

    Mark M, Jul 14, 2003