3g not going to generate the revenue?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, May 28, 2006.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20060527/D8HS7D300.html

    For myself I think the idea of trying to cruise the Internet on a 42mm
    lcd screen v a 21inch monitor is plain loony.....the experience is going
    to suck, let alone the cost.

    I dont want a 1.2MPA camera, 1.2MP? be serious....
    nor the other junk....

    What I do want is a very long battery life, good organiser, maybe email,
    bluetooth so I can sync addresses and callender and I have to pay for
    the silly features i will never use in order to get them....and I assume
    my battery life suffers....

    So why not modular cell phones?

    Walk into the store, pick the colour, screen type, flip or not and from
    then on pay only for the "soft" activation of the other features....

    Dream come true for me, I'd actually buy another phone....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, May 28, 2006

  2. thingy

    Jedmeister Guest

    And, cell phones with direct phone to phone connections (ie, like a
    walkie-talkie). Handy for bypassing $1.00 minute calls just trying to
    find the woman at the mall.

    Jedmeister, May 29, 2006

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Would be good....also wi-fi....let it choose the cheapest link and warn
    if the chargable one was the only option.....

    Last I heard though, such phones with this were set in such a way that
    they swapped to the higher charges on any meager excuse.

    regards

    thing

    thingy, May 29, 2006
  4. thingy

    -=rjh=- Guest

    I totally agree here. I have a SE 700i, and it really is a beautiful
    phone - fabulous screen, camera, bluetooth, IR, the works. Very small.
    It talks to my Palm, so really, the internet capabilities of the phone
    are a waste of space as I can use the Palm for email.

    I don't even need any PIM apps on the phone as I have a better device
    for that. I can even use the Palm for web browsing although the cost is
    prohibitive.

    But, battery life sucks. It is terrible - it really needs charging just
    about everyday; so bad that I've just gone out and bought an old Nokia
    6210 junker for day to day work use, as I only have to charge it once a
    week. And I'm a lot happier about the Nokia being kicked around as it is
    already quite rough looking.

    Judging by the prices some are paying for Nokia 6310s on Trademe, others
    probably think the same (or it could just be Trademe :))

    Because electronics is so cheap, it is easier to just build it all in
    one go, then enable/disable it and adjust pricing accordingly?
    .....which would expire every three months. Betcha.

    -=rjh=-, May 29, 2006
  5. thingy

    Craig Shore Guest

    There might be something wrong with your 700i. I've got a 500i, which from
    memory is the same phone with less memory and no bluetooth. I get probably 4
    (might be more) days out of mine before it needs charging.

    I use the organiser on it, and sometimes the www browser too. Google comes in
    handy if you're out and need to know something.

    Craig Shore, May 29, 2006