    common 3D model export formats like STEPS or IGES.

    Non worried about the licence or availability of source code.

    Any tips out there?

    Squiggle, Nov 19, 2010

  2. In message
    Found a lot of hits here <http://www.google.com/search?q=open+source+cad>.

    Depending on what you want to do, Blender has some measurement-type
    functionality. And the new 2.5x beta includes units as well.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 19, 2010

  3. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Thanks, but i've wasted most of today trying to find something that
    meets my requirements.
    BRL-CAD and Blender are the top two contenders at this stage,
    everything else seems to be alpha version or full priced commercial
    software.

    Squiggle, Nov 19, 2010
  4. Squiggle

    Gordon Guest

    If you find a free, as in speech, product; remember to donate to the cause.
    Authors like to see people this as it means that their software is on a
    roll, and needs to be kept that way

    Gordon, Nov 19, 2010
  5. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Nope, hasn't happened, found a free (beer)version of a quality
    commercial 3D windows program that does what I need. Bit of a PITA
    having to reboot into windows if I need to change the model but still
    quicker than pfaffing about with the free linux alternatives.

    Squiggle, Nov 19, 2010
  6. Squiggle

    victor Guest

    You are wasting your time, you are on the slippery slope to pirating a
    proper program because you are too cheap to buy it.

    victor, Nov 19, 2010
  7. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Creo Elements/Direct Modeling

    Squiggle, Nov 19, 2010
  8. In message
    Some interesting limitations
    <http://www.ptc.com/products/creo-elements-direct/modeling-personal-edition-3-0/faq.htm>:
    no photorealistic rendering, no extension APIs, only 60 unique parts. And
    the file format isn’t even compatible with the rest of its products. Or
    anything else in the world, for that matter.

    Sounds like a bit of a toy, really. Oh, and you still need an Internet
    connection to be able to run it.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 19, 2010
  9. Squiggle

    victor Guest

    Freemium
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemium
    Its like eating from those little supermarket stalls with sales reps
    that give you mini cubes of their foodstuff on a toothpick in the hope
    that you will buy a full sized package.

    victor, Nov 19, 2010
  10. Squiggle

    Sweetpea Guest

    Perhaps you would "waste" money on software if you couldn't legally
    install the software for any purpose without "wasting" money.

    Sweetpea, Nov 19, 2010
  11. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    not required

    no extension APIs

    not required

    , only 60 unique parts

    I need 20 max, usually <4 for what I need to do.

    .. And
    The full version does all that stuff, this is the free version they give
    away as a teaser
    But its still free and better than any free Linux software I found.

    If you spent half as much time improving OSS as you do trying to bash
    proprietary software maybe you'd be able to point to an OSS CAD app that
    works better.

    Squiggle, Nov 19, 2010
  12. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Yep, but still means i get to do what i want for free with decent
    quality software. They wont get a sale out of me, i'm not using it for
    commercial gain so no way would i pay the $2K/year (guess) licence fee
    for Creo/DM or Creo/Pro.

    Squiggle, Nov 19, 2010
  13. Squiggle

    victor Guest

    Don't you think you being a bit harsh continuing to use linux while you
    troll news groups to slag it off ?

    victor, Nov 19, 2010
  14. Like I said, a toy.
    The full version can’t even read the files from the “free†version.
    The Free software tends to concentrate on serious uses, I guess.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 19, 2010
  15. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Just giving LDO some of his own back. Personally I like linux and am
    investigating converting to it as my primary OS, leaving Windows for
    recreational activities.

    I also plan to contribute to the OSS software I'm trying to run on
    Linux, once I get it working and understand it well enough. I'll update
    the tutorials for the software that are causing me so much frustration
    since they are 2 versions out of date and the menu items they tell you
    to use no longer exist.

    Squiggle, Nov 19, 2010
  16. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Just an anti piracy measure, very common, Autodesk & PTC do similar
    things with student versions. If you have a valid licence for the full
    software they will convert them for free. If you don't, tough.
    Hate to tell you this,but in terms of serious large scale mechanical
    engineering design Linux seems to be dying, With 2* of the big 3
    CAE/CAD/CAM packages dropping *nix support serious mechanical
    engineering is becoming a windows thing.

    *CATIA and Pro/Engineer (now known as Creo Elements/Pro.)

    Squiggle, Nov 20, 2010
  17. Squiggle

    Sweetpea Guest

    Not true. those are for illegally installing software by avoiding the
    requirement to purchasing a license.

    Sweetpea, Nov 20, 2010
  18. Please explain, in what way is it an “anti piracy measure�
    And they get to decide whether your conversion request is a “legitimate†one
    or not. Control, control, control over you, that’s what it’s all about. They
    set you a trap, and you fell right into it.
    That probably means their overall sales are dropping.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 20, 2010
  19. Squiggle

    Sweetpea Guest

    Typo. That should read "requirement to purchase".

    Sweetpea, Nov 20, 2010
  20. Squiggle

    Dave Doe Guest

    He's not slagging linux off - he's slagging that diphead that makes
    linux look bad off.

    Dave Doe, Nov 20, 2010