3D Blu-ray Player Commonly Asked Questions

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Ablang, Feb 21, 2010.

  1. Ablang

    Ablang Guest

    3D Blu-ray Player Commonly Asked Questions
    February 12, 2010 10:41 AM (Friday) Author: andrew

    Just when you thought it was safe to buy a Blu-ray player along comes
    3D. So now what do you do, wait for a 3D Blu-ray player? Here are some
    answers to that and other commonly asked questions about 3D Blu-ray
    players.

    What Makes a Blu-ray Player 3D Compatible?
    Two important features will make Blu-ray players able to play 3D
    movies. HDMI 1.4 is the latest cabling standard that supports a high
    bit rate necessary to send the extra data the TV needs to display two
    different images to each eye for the 3D effect. The other

    feature is the new standard that the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA)
    has adopted for 3D movies. In some cases support for the new standard
    will only require a firmware upgrade but older players may not have
    the processing power required to decode the new 3D video.

    Will a 3D Blu-ray Player Make My TV Display 3D?
    The good news is you'll still be able to watch 2D Blu-ray movies on
    your TV with a 3D player but the 3D Blu-ray player is only one piece
    of the puzzle. The bad news is that you're going to have to buy a new
    3DTV like the new Sony LX900 to go with your new 3D Blu-ray player.

    What if I Don't Want to Wait?
    The fact is, you can get a decent Blu-ray player today that supports
    BD-Live and streaming services right now for around $200. It's
    unlikely that you'll be able to upgrade a Blu-ray player you buy today
    to 3D because of HDMI 1.4 and insufficient processing power. However,
    since you're going to need to buy a new TV to go with the 3D Blu-ray
    player, you might as well get the 2D Blu-ray player today and when
    you're ready to take the 3D plunge you can always give the 2D player
    to your kids. Otherwise, you're just going to have to wait until this
    summer. The movies won't be available until then anyway.

    Are there any 3D Blu-ray Players Available Today?
    To the best of our knowledge no 3D Blu-ray players are available
    today. The earliest we expect to start seeing products is April and
    that may not include the US market which could start seeing products
    this summer.

    What about the Sony PlayStation 3 as a 3D Blu-ray Player?
    The Sony PS3 has always been a very good alternative to a standalone
    Blu-ray player. The Slim costs a little more than a good standalone
    player and you get a world class game console in the bargain. Partly
    due to the built-in graphics processing power, a firmware upgrade (due
    this summer) may be all you need to upgrade your PS3 to 3D.
    Unfortunately you won't be able to upgrade the HDMI port to 1.4 so
    that may become an issue.

    What Players Have Been Announced?
    Many new players were announces at CES 2010 here's a sample of them:

    Panasonic announced several 3D Blu-ray players at CES 2010 including
    the DMP-BDT350 which is expected to ship later this year. One key
    feature on this player is dual HDMI output; one to go to an HDMI 1.4
    connection on your new 3DTV another to your old receiver for the
    audio.

    Samsung announced the Samsung BD-C6900 which also includes WiFi and
    streaming services including Netflix and Pandora. It's expected to
    cost around $400.

    Sony should have many 3D Blu-ray players to choose from in addition to
    3DTV sets. One Blu-ray player announced at CES is the Sony BDP-S770
    which has HDMI 1.4, WiFi, and streaming services. It's supposed to be
    available this summer.

    Are there any 3D Blu-ray Movies Available Now?

    3D Blu-ray movies supporting the new BDA 3D standard should be
    available later this year from studios like Walt Disney and Sony
    Pictures. Disney recently indicated that we may see a 3D Blu-ray
    version of its forthcoming Alice in Wonderland 3D movie as soon as 13
    weeks after release in the theaters on March 5th.

    Will a New 3D Blu-ray Player Work with My Old Receiver?
    Unfortunately your old receiver won't support 3D at least full 1080p
    3D that will require an HDMI 1.4 port. If you try and send an HDMI 1.4
    signal through an HDMI 1.3 port, the 3D information will be stripped
    off before it gets passed on to the TV. For that reason some
    manufacturers like Panasonic are offering dual HDMI ports on some of
    their new 3D Blu-ray players where one signal goes to the receiver for
    the audio and the other to your new 3DTV.

    http://www.retrevo.com/my/5875/article/19681214?cmpid=Email

    Ablang, Feb 21, 2010

  2. Ablang

    Jack Johnson Guest

    This may be a 'stupid' question, but will any regular dvd work in a
    blu-ray player ? Are there models that are compatible for both ?

    When VHS went DVD, I replaced my entire VHS library, with dvd's. I
    DON'T feel like eating that kind of expense all over again. Yet, I
    don't want to fall behind on technology either.

    Jack Johnson, Mar 5, 2010

  3. Jack, the mentality you express tells me that you should be a movie
    downloader, not a library collector.

    A collector has to have a bit more on the ball than you are. Just keep
    plodding along and you'll do fine, even if you have to replace a few
    titles. You shouldn't complain. All the new re-releases are far better
    than any of your "only worth $2 per title" regular DVD crap.

    So, YES, ANY BD DVD player will also play the old DVD format.

    Why would you waste the lifespan of the player, when you should have an
    old DVD player around somewhere?

    Capt. Cave Man, Mar 6, 2010
  4. Ablang

    Mike S. Guest

    Does this mean there will eventually be separate discs on the shelves for
    the 2D and 3D versions of movies? Is is the "full screen" vs "Widescreen"
    stuff all over again?

    Mike S., Mar 7, 2010