3Com NBX v5000 Vs. NEC Elite IPK

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Peter Parker, Mar 23, 2005.

  1. Peter Parker

    Peter Parker Guest

    Hello all,

    I've been researching a replacement for the company PBX phone system (an
    old Norstar system). I've come down to two choices. The 3Com NBX v5000
    (SuperStacker) and the NEC Elite IPK. I'm leaning towards the 3com, but
    I have a vendor that is particularly stubborn and keeps insisting the
    NEC is the better system for our needs. We currently have 80 phones and
    will be deploying that many with the new system. We have one location,
    but often have remote jobsite trailers that could take advantage of VoIP
    benefits. Future growth should be covered by both systems.

    Is there anyone out there that is familiar with either of these systems?
    I'd like to know what some of their shortcomings might be. The NEC guy
    tells me that the 3Com doesn't use true IP (SIP) technology, but
    proprietary Ethernet. From my understanding, for LAN operation, the 3Com
    works on a layer3 level (mac address) and is actually beneficial as it
    conserves IP addresses.

    Any information and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Peter Parker, Mar 23, 2005

  2. Peter Parker

    Peter Parker Guest

    No one has any thoughts or experience with either of these systems?

    Peter Parker, Mar 25, 2005

  3. Peter Parker

    cpaetz Guest

    Look at the NBX V3000 instead, has all the features of the V500
    except the fault tolerant hard drives and network ports. and it
    considerably cheaper

    NEC systems are not that great, I dont know a lot about them but I ru
    in to a lot of them that havnt lived up to their promises

    If your looking to deploy remote extensions you should also look at
    soft phone product called crystal voice, its an add on product fo
    the NBX which compresses the voice stream considerably. I've eve
    used it over dialup

    cpaetz, Apr 14, 2005
  4. Thanks for the input. We went with the V5000 (without the fault
    tolerance) and will be deploying towards the end of the month. I'm
    excited to get the project going.

    I'll keep the 'Crystal Voice' in mind. We will eventually use remote
    extensions at job site locations and the like.

    Thanks again,

    Steve M. Mann, Apr 14, 2005